How can an actual MLB manager continue to justify playing time for Mar

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:25 AM)
I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. The only "inside information" reason to keep Kotsay is he's good in the clubhouse. But being good in the clubhouse does not make up for being a horrible baseball player. There is no practical joke or clubhouse speech that can change the fact that Dayan Viciedo and Brent Lillibridge are contributing to this team at a significantly higher clip on the field than Kotsay is. And that's why it's a no brainer that he should be gone when Teahen is back. Winning breeds chemistry, not the other way around.

But who cares about fielding the best team. Our goal isn't a championship. It's to have a great time playing baseball.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
So what are some of his worst stretches so far this season? Longest 0-fer or maybe some 1-25s? Basically, would Mike Caruso's bat be an upgrade?

Maybe we should compile a detailed chart of suckiness just in case KW passes through these here boards.

April 14-April 30, 1 for 23

May 27-June 5, 1 for 20

July 18-July 21, 0 for 15

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:38 AM)
April 14-April 30, 1 for 23

May 27-June 5, 1 for 20

July 18-July 21, 0 for 15

Yeah, but, dude, that was an extremely hard 0 for 15.

And he was really wearing it during that 1 for 20.

Besides, he had a bunch of hangwiffums during the 1 for 23.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)

Dagnabbit.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:48 AM)

Haha, remember maybe a week ago those games where Stone picked him to click and he was jokingly arguing that some of those hangwiffems would make a case for the click? Those guys were crackin up in the booth.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 10:25 AM)
If that guy uses the internet then nothing short of suicide would surprise me. Poor human. How's the progress on the cross coming anyway?

I'm sure he's a nice guy and all, but I don't want him playing. As Earl Weaver would say "(Mark Kotsay)'s lucky he's in f***ing baseball. He was (traded) by the Atlanta Braves, he was (traded) by the f***ing goddamn Boston Red Sox, we saw that (Mark Kotsay) could sit on his f***ing ass for 8 innings and enjoy watching a baseball game like any other fan and has the ability to get up there and break one open in the f***ing 9th."

What's Ozzie's number, I'm in.

Or we could organize a Crede's Crew type of thing where we each hold up a letter in "DFA Kotsay". Anybody got a block of 9 seats behind the visitor's dugout so the whole team would be forced to look at it? I'm goin to hell.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)
I know he has to deal with quite a few knuckleheads calling in to the postgame shows, but does anyone else think Ranger is a little full of it/himself?

I find his demeanor to be condescending at times and he seems to toe the company line far too often as well. Forgive me (or warn me) if I am crossing the line of personal attacks, but to me it hits home even more when he posts here and gets into arguments with others. For the most part, I think this site is not full of the same post game caller idiots he typically deals with and he shouldn't approach them as if they are.

On occasion he beats his arguments to death and appears both stubborn and arrogant. I also have noticed far too many posters on here stroke him because he is a supposed radio personality and they give him a free pass when he is spewing the cliches. I know he can't be held responsible for the actions of fanboys, but they act as if he is really courageous for posting and getting flamed. Well, isn't that a risk we all take?

A riskier approach would be if he stated that most of these "hated" players were put into a position to fail too often and that it is understandable when the fans take it out on the player, but the fans should realize the player is only trying to do the job asked of him by the manager. No, he won't ruffle feathers like that, but rather say dumb things like "Kotsay is not going to cost you the division...if the Sox lose the division, it will be because their pitching failed." That is what he actually posted in one topic here the other day and he got some level of praise for posting his opinions. It really burns me up!

Again, sorry if this is construed as a personal attack, but if we can flame Hawk and Stone for sugar coating the Kotsay issue, then I think Rongey is fair game, too.

Just the fact I doubt he's ever made a post that was not responded to by another poster is stroking. Most of us normal (non-celebrity type) posters have at least half our posts not responded to in any way. As far as being stubborn and arrogant I think that's the case with a lot Soxtalkers who know they have considerable knowledge and resources and aren't lazy about using them to make their points. So in that way he is no different than a many of us on here.

QUOTE (joeynach @ Aug 3, 2010 -> 09:49 PM)
Official prediction on 8-3-10 by Joeynach. When Mark Tehean comes off the DL and returns to the Sox active roster, instead of optioning Viciedo down to AAA to make room like everyone thinks, the team will release Mark (.220 BABIP) Kotsay.

I was thinking about posting very similar to what you did. This is the ideal opportunity to do it. Teahen's injury has done a lot to help the Sox. Showed how Vizquel's D could stabilize the pitching staff and the infield in general that he could still hit decently enough. It also gave opportunities to Tank and Lillibridge which they have not squandered. Gave Kotsay more opportunities to show what he is worth which he has squandered.

Captain it is the only logical choice.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 02:25 PM)
I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. The only "inside information" reason to keep Kotsay is he's good in the clubhouse. But being good in the clubhouse does not make up for being a horrible baseball player. There is no practical joke or clubhouse speech that can change the fact that Dayan Viciedo and Brent Lillibridge are contributing to this team at a significantly higher clip on the field than Kotsay is. And that's why it's a no brainer that he should be gone when Teahen is back. Winning breeds chemistry, not the other way around.

I think just on general merits, Ozzie is a smart baseball man. But his level of stubborn is VERY high, and it gets in the way of logic far too frequently for him, which makes him look dumb.

I shouldn't speak for Rongey and I don't know why I'm commenting since I also want Kotsay gone, but in reference to your point, I think in Rongey's mind, "being good in the clubhouse does make up for being a horrible baseball player" in this case.

Because from what I read, I think it said he believes one lousy player can't cost a team a division title, but the collapse of team chemistry could be a killer. WIth so many players on a team, I"think" he was saying yes one lousy player who is a great clubhouse guy is an acceptable tradeoff.

Again, I'm all for getting rid of Kotsay but I think there's a difference of opinion in how much Kotsay is killing the Sox with Rongey and the rest of the board becaause Rongey truly is valuing chemistry as much as on-field performance here.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 02:12 PM)
I shouldn't speak for Rongey and I don't know why I'm commenting since I also want Kotsay gone, but in reference to your point, I think in Rongey's mind, "being good in the clubhouse does make up for being a horrible baseball player" in this case.

Because from what I read, I think it said he believes one lousy player can't cost a team a division title, but the collapse of team chemistry could be a killer. WIth so many players on a team, I"think" he was saying yes one lousy player who is a great clubhouse guy is an acceptable tradeoff.

Again, I'm all for getting rid of Kotsay but I think there's a difference of opinion in how much Kotsay is killing the Sox with Rongey and the rest of the board becaause Rongey truly is valuing chemistry as much as on-field performance here.

Then why sacrifice even better team chemistry and actual on-field results by getting rid of Jim Freaking Thome, the ultimate clubhouse guy?! Makes zero sense. If Kotsay is so amazing in the clubhouse why is he playing on a different team every year?

Edited by BigSqwert

Yeah, that is a good point and further clouds the issue.

Why did Ozzie want Thome gone, when Thome is a great chemistry guy; yet he doesnt want to rid the team of Kotsay, who is a great chemistry guy?

I can't answer that one. Maybe that'd be a good one for Rongey.

Was Thome willing to accept a platoon here?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 02:19 PM)

Why did Ozzie want Thome gone, when Thome is a great chemistry guy; yet he doesnt want to rid the team of Kotsay, who is a great chemistry guy?

Frankly I don't really care about Rongey's response. He's toeing the line for the organization since he's paid to do the official post game show on the radio. He's obviously wrong about the Kotsay decision.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)

Everything Thome said suggested yes. The big motivation that we kept getting over the offseason was that Kotsay could also play in the field, while Jones couldn't, and thus that'd let the team rest Konerko and Quentin more.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)

Of course he was. He knows what point his career is. He's accepted a platoon with the Twins and he accepted an even lesser role with the Dodgers last year at the end of the season. For a guy who's done so well over the last few years it was pretty surprising how most teams snubbed the guy. At least he wasn't stubborn about it the way Dye was and was willing to play for $1 million a year. That decision itself shows you he's not full of himself.