How can an actual MLB manager continue to justify playing time for Mar

Buehrle>Wood

That's the ONLY logic of not demoting Kotsay.

We are winning with him, so therefore he can't be hurting the team. (If it's not broke, don't fix it, right? In which case, KW should have kept the 2005 team together...since he completely obliterated the "chemistry" of that team by taking Everett and Rowand out of the clubhouse, too. Not saying I necessarily believe that, just the theory out there.)

It's almost like they are afraid to let Teahen's glove back anywhere near the clubhouse again, also.

And actually, although Viciedo's missed a lot of AAA at-bats, I think he's gained a tremendous amount of confidence in his ability to be a big league player, and this hopefully is one of those situations where sitting and observing for most of 5-6 weeks has really helped, even he's accumulated less than 70 at-bats.

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:09 PM)
That's the ONLY logic of not demoting Kotsay.

We are winning with him, so therefore he can't be hurting the team. (If it's not broke, don't fix it, right? In which case, KW should have kept the 2005 team together...since he completely obliterated the "chemistry" of that team by taking Everett and Rowand out of the clubhouse, too. Not saying I necessarily believe that, just the theory out there.)

It's almost like they are afraid to let Teahen's glove back anywhere near the clubhouse again, also.

And actually, although Viciedo's missed a lot of AAA at-bats, I think he's gained a tremendous amount of confidence in his ability to be a big league player, and this hopefully is one of those situations where sitting and observing for most of 5-6 weeks has really helped, even he's accumulated less than 70 at-bats.

In regards to the bolded: Play Vizquel at 3rd everyday (with Viciedo there on Omar days off), use Teahen as the DH vs. RHP, maybe at 1B sometimes to give Paulie some rest, maybe even RF at times so you can DH Q. Just don't play him at 3rd, you don't have to in order to get him playing time.

As for "it's not broke, don't fix it", that's one of the dumbest arguments of all time as I'm sure you know since you pointed out the 2005 example, for instance. I certainly hope nobody in our organization is dumb enough to think that. Yes, the team overall isn't broke, but you can still fix the parts that need a tune up. And the DH, at the very least, needs one of those.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:40 PM)
In regards to the bolded: Play Vizquel at 3rd everyday (with Viciedo there on Omar days off), use Teahen as the DH vs. RHP, maybe at 1B sometimes to give Paulie some rest, maybe even RF at times so you can DH Q. Just don't play him at 3rd, you don't have to in order to get him playing time.

As for "it's not broke, don't fix it", that's one of the dumbest arguments of all time as I'm sure you know since you pointed out the 2005 example, for instance. I certainly hope nobody in our organization is dumb enough to think that. Yes, the team overall isn't broke, but you can still fix the parts that need a tune up. And the DH, at the very least, needs one of those.

Saying don't fix if it ain't broke is like saying you're satisfied with a Toyota Camry instead of going for a BMW.

Decent article from Beyond the Boxscore about the worst hitters in baseball. Guess who makes a cameo? "- Wait, these guys are designated hitters?

Coming into the season, Toronto's Adam Lind (minus-1.1 WAR) was considered one of the game's better DH's, while Chicago's Mark Kotsay (minus-0.9 WAR) was undoubtedly one of the worst in the game. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two from looking at their numbers, though, as they have nearly identical weighted on-base averages this season.

Lind's .219/.279/.378 line is bad, but especially for a designated hitter where the offensive expectations are much higher. Kotsay's .217/.300/.345 line isn't much different, except with more walks and less power. Basically, you're looking at two primary designated hitters that are hitting like Triple-A shortstops." http://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2010/8/2/...-in-baseball-an

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
I dunno about the "lack of controversial columnists" angle. Seems like there have been plenty of controversial sports media personalities in Chicago over the last few years...the problem I see is that the most notorious of them flat out sucked at life.

I guess I meant since Mariotti.

Chicago doesn't have anybody that harps on an issue over and over and over as we do on this board.

If Mariotti didn't think Kotsay was worth a s***, he'd probably harp on it 3 times a week. Not saying that's good writing/reading. But nobody will do that now.

I still think the Kotsay thing is worth a story at this time. Oz is prolly thrilled at tonight's 1-for-3 though.

The response to the WAR stats for Thome and Kotsay would be something like this:

If Bobby Jenks hadn't blown those two games against Minnesota and Seattle, we'd also be up 4 1/2 games on the Twins, and most of the losses during this stretch of games since June 9th were those "Hawk's cliched 54-60 games you lose every year...no matter what."

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)
Are there any pitchers batting better than him?

Haha I was thinking about looking that up/asking someone to check it yesterday.

If/once Kotsay remains after Teahen returns I would like Viciedo to stay up and Lillibridge to venture down. Hopefully then Vizquel remains at third with Viciedo filling in on off days and he and Teahen fill the DH according to the situation. Kotsay can entertain everyone on the bench.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
The response to the WAR stats for Thome and Kotsay would be something like this:

If Bobby Jenks hadn't blown those two games against Minnesota and Seattle, we'd also be up 4 1/2 games on the Twins, and most of the losses during this stretch of games since June 9th were those

That's not a valid argument, and I assume you know it. Kotsay was 0 for 7 with 1 walk in those two 1-run losses. By the "logic" you use here, Kotsay could strike out in every single plate appearance all season, and yet he wouldn't be "responsible" for any loss the team had. If the pitching had just not given up any runs, the team would have won. It's not Kotsay's fault.

His batting line shows that he's helping the team toward losing every time he's in. And every game he plays, there were 3 better options to be DH sitting on the bench (4 if you include Castro).

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 10:33 PM)
That's not a valid argument, and I assume you know it. Kotsay was 0 for 7 with 1 walk in those two 1-run losses. By the "logic" you use here, Kotsay could strike out in every single plate appearance all season, and yet he wouldn't be "responsible" for any loss the team had. If the pitching had just not given up any runs, the team would have won. It's not Kotsay's fault.

His batting line shows that he's helping the team toward losing every time he's in. And every game he plays, there were 3 better options to be DH sitting on the bench (4 if you include Castro).

The White Sox will live or die with their pitching, both starters and their usually formidable pen.

The offense is irrelevant.

(That's what Ozzie or someone might say).

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 4, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Out of curiosity, how do Kotsay's batting stats compare to most SPs in the National League?

Are there any pitchers batting better than him?

Yes there are...haha.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...010&month=0

Mike Leake and Dan Haren are both A LOT better.

Edited by chw42

After talking about starting Dayan Viciedo in Thursday's series final at Comerica Park, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen decided not to put his rookie up against Detroit starter Max Scherzer and his electric stuff.

Viciedo will play two games this weekend in Baltimore, according to Guillen.

Link. All Merkin has to say about it.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 11:48 PM)
This might be the best time for Mark to ride off into the sunset and retire. At this stage in his career will we ever see a game like this from him again?

That's not how athletes think. I bet he and the Sox are thinking this is the start of something big for him, a big hot streak. It might be the best time, but no way is he thinking that way. He just started both ends of a DH followed by starting again. He's going nowhere obviously.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:52 PM)
That's not how athletes think. I bet he and the Sox are thinking this is the start of something big for him, a big hot streak. It might be the best time, but no way is he thinking that way. He just started both ends of a DH followed by starting again. He's going nowhere obviously.

Let a brother dream a little.