O. Guillen loves him some Kotsay, so removal is out of the equation

macsandz

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sox fans that are still pissy about Kotsay and his BA, remember without him the team loses HWA and drop on FHM. 52 minutes ago

Anybody know what that means?

I'm not just mad at his batting average, that is not the end all be all of hitting stats. But his afore mention OBP and RBI (21) from his normal 6th spot as a DH is maddening. How are our beat writers supporting the playing of this guy. He must have a spell on anyone who enters the clubhouse. I get he is a great leader, great, give him a clipboard and call him a coach. I rather have production than another leader in our clubhouse. No excuse

That guy had one thing right: batting average doesn't mean everything. Q is hitting .237, but he walks enough to keep his OBP in the .340 range and slugs .500, so nobody really cares about the batting average part of his offense. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Kotsay.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I think and hope this proves KW will not let this continue with Kotsay (looking at delgado). He tried for a bat all of July and still is after it now. I hope he doesn't give Oz a choice, makes an aquisition, and tells Ozzie Kotsay has be DFA'd.

I really think KW is mad that he isn't playing Viciedo. Even Walk says Dayans current routine and playing time is not good or ideal for him.

Edited by Frank_Thomas35

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
Cowley:

Sure it would be nice if they hit better. It would be nice if I won the lotto tomorrow, or if Kate Beckinsale gave me a bath. Hoping that something will get better when a mountain of evidence states that this isn't likely to happen is a poor plan. I have a new suggestion, lets see what Viciedo can do with more ABs. Who knows he might actually hit righties. We know for sure that Kotsay can't and Andruw is just swinging from his heels. We went into this season with a guy who was out OPSed by Pods last year, and a guy who shuts down after the league figures out he is just blindly swinging from his heels. And now we are hoping that they hit better, awesome.

IMO, our only hope for getting Kotsay out of the lineup is if his BA falls below .200. His BA has been floating around .220 for weeks and it hasn't bothered Guillen to this point, but a drop below .200 would surely garner some attention right? I mean, at what point do people have to realize his terrible performance isn't just do to a little bad luck. I'm just about ready to chear for an 0 for 19 streak.

Ozzie is going to live and die with Mark Kotsay. I hope that he and Kenny have reached an understanding and that if the White Sox don't advance deep into the playoffs, then Ozzie's removal is an option. This team continues to win in spite of Ozzie make a massacre of baseball common sense, this isn't going to last forever.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
Ozzie is going to live and die with Mark Kotsay. I hope that he and Kenny have reached an understanding and that if the White Sox don't advance deep into the playoffs, then Ozzie's removal is an option. This team continues to win in spite of Ozzie make a massacre of baseball common sense, this isn't going to last forever.

This scenario is the exact opposite of what happens. The only way Ozzie's job was going to be in jeopardy this year was if the team continued on their trend from the first 2 months.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
This scenario is the exact opposite of what happens. The only way Ozzie's job was going to be in jeopardy this year was if the team continued on their trend from the first 2 months.

I know. Any hope that Ozzie will take any fall for his decision to sacrifice the Designated Hitter position in favor of a strong, “clubhouse presence” is in vain. It’s just that as a Weaver Ball/Sabermetrics kind of guy, Ozzie makes me shake my head.

it was great to get production out of Kotsay today, he stepped up, but I'm sure this one game or any small stretch would stop KW from trying to get a better/more consistent bat. If anything it should make him push harder because it shows how much better this line-up is with a guy who contributes.

That's what will be interesting...I guess they have to bring up Teahen eventually, but you can see that Ozzie doesn't want to change anything about the chemistry of the team with the way things are going now.

It doesn't make sense to have Teahen, Carlos Delgado (just an example) and Mark Kotsay on the same team though.

Lillibridge definitely deserves to keep his role.

Still wonder if KW will take a stab at someone like Jose Guillen or Manny Ramirez (especially after he clears waivers the first time...or if a team would dare to claim him and pay him $7 million for 6 weeks).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 07:08 AM)
No matter what BABIP says, I don't buy that Swisher was unlucky in 2008, and I don't buy that Kotsay is unlucky now. Weak popups to the 2b and weak groundouts to the 2b sometimes don't just happen by chance.

You obviously don't remember his 2008 year.

And as for not starting Viciedo.. no idea why he didn't or changed his mind.

The plan is to start Viciedo in Thursday afternoon's series finale vs. the Tigers, and the White Sox manager wants to tie Viciedo more with 43-year-old Omar Vizquel at third base so as not to wear down the veteran.

"My job is to put the players in the best position I can to have success," said Guillen, who is cognizant of not playing Vizquel too much in the heat of Baltimore this weekend. "That's what I like to do most of the time. But I'm not afraid to play [Viciedo]."

Yea... he still started him in back to backs and in a day game. Same with Jenks "stripped of his closer duties", people should really take what Ozzie says with a huge grain of salt.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 09:08 AM)
No matter what BABIP says, I don't buy that Swisher was unlucky in 2008, and I don't buy that Kotsay is unlucky now. Weak popups to the 2b and weak groundouts to the 2b sometimes don't just happen by chance. A guy can have a terrible approach at the plate, be out of shape or old, and get the exact same results of a low BABIP.

Swisher stank in 2008 and it wasn't bad luck that he kept popping out, and Kotsay isn't unlucky to keep grounding out.

Anyone who bothered to look at those kinds of stats, coupled with Swish’s statistical trends could tell you that 2008 was a fluke. Trying to write him off because he K’d and popped out, is the same kind of shortsighted logic that says that Thome clogs the bases. The fact is that Swish walked and hit for power from both sides of the plate. Thus, striking out comes with the territory. It’s just a damn shame that Ozzie didn’t take to him, like he’s taken to Mark Kotsay.