G. Walker: Does he now get credit?

soxrwhite

QUOTE (Ranger @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
I never understood where that came from. This has never been his overall hitting philosophy and he's never told all of his players he wants them to do that. There are some individuals that try too often to hit the other way, and he's told them to not be afraid to pull the ball sometimes (Beckham is a recent example). However, that's pretty rare and it certainly isn't all he ever tells his hitters.

If you're seeing a lot of guys doing that, it's because they have a lot of guys that do it naturally. It's not his hitting philosophy and it never has been.

I hear ya. Lift and Pull is generally considered a stupid philosophy, so to assume a coach is preaching this is pretty dumb. You think KW would keep him around if he was telling all the guys to swing for the fence? Of course not.

It has to go back to individual, selfish attitudes of looking at that short fence. Now it might be Walker's fault for not being able to change some of these guys, but honestly, who's going to tell Jim Thome, who has 500+ HRs, to start slapping it the other way. Since Jim's such a nice guy, who's gonna tell him he's actually killing the team with his lift n pull whiffs?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)
It's difficult for me to give Walker credit. We see Coop take on pitchers that have failed elsewhere and succeed here. We don't really see that with our hitters. And at the end of the day our offense is around middle of the pack.

Exactly! When has Walker ever taken in a batter that had a bad track record and transformed them like Coop does to pitchers?

If Walker was any good, guys like Brian Anderson would've been better.

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 12:58 PM)
I think he deserves some credit for the change in approach we've seen from the team is a hole. Anyone who still says Walk is a "lift and pull" coach hasn't watched this season at all. That said, he probably didn't have much to do with our struggles or are successes, which is why I was never on the Fire Walk bandwagon. At the very least, good for him for getting the fans off his back.

Did you mean, "on the whole", perhaps?

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
Exactly! When has Walker ever taken in a batter that had a bad track record and transformed them like Coop does to pitchers?

Maybe it was Anderson's own fault.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
I'll say this much...I give more credit to Greg Walker for this shocking turnaround than Ozzie f***ing Guillen.

WOW. Tell us what you really think bout Oz. Wow.

Some of you guys that hate Oz never seem to come up with a guy you'd like as his replacement. Who do you want? Do you really think any mortal would survive the second guessing of Sox fans?

How's BA faring as a pitcher? Anybody know?

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)

That's like saying that if Coop was any good Andy Sisco would have been better. Walker has been here while plenty of White Sox had their career years.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)

Dye, Quentin, Crede, Rios. Brian Anderson is a terrible example, because he's been terrible everywhere he's gone. Ryan Sweeney is still a singles hitter.

Greg Walker is pretty much an average hitting coach. He's seen some guys do incredible things, and he's seen some guys fail on his watch. Not everything is to his credit or to his fault.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 05:14 PM)
Greg Walker is pretty much an average hitting coach. He's seen some guys do incredible things, and he's seen some guys fail on his watch. Not everything is to his credit or to his fault.

Not to defend Walk here but out of curiosity...what do we consider a great hitting coach these days?