AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
I just don't think I've ever seen you post one so quickly. A lot of times I'm not around a computer when a game thread gets posted, so I always assumed they were written up later.

Last night's one popped up within 10 minutes of the end of the game. I wanted my reaction on Jackson to get up there quick.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rongey is making the case that Kotsay has been getting better AB's than Jones, without the results to show for it.

That was the first call, about appreciating what he brings to the roster, etc.

Although at least he was realistic enough to realize that KW might still be out there scouring the waiver wire for a deal on someone like Jose Guillen, Xavier Nady or Manny Ramirez.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:51 PM)
Can somebody post he splits for Jenks during the day v. night.

He seems to blow a ton of day game saves.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7285/s...0GeLdKc2TuFCLcF

Success and failure for him is the difference between night and day... literally.

At least this year anyway.

Edited by scenario

That means we really have to praise Kotsay and Garcia, haha.

I said it in the game thread, Freddy Garcia is the MVP of this ballclub. Without his steadying and indomitable presence the first two months, we're down 12-15 games in the standings and essentially out of it.

Say what you want about KW and the DH situation, but Omar Vizquel, Castro, Andruw Jones, Santos and Garcia have all been great (and incredibly cheap) pick ups. Putz might have been the FA value signing of the year. And Kotsay saved the game for us twice today.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
There's nothing better then coming home from work to find out the White Sox have already won.

And you didn't have to pull your hair out watching a 3 run blown save.

And Kotsay looked like an actual major league hitter today.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
I don t want Jenks anywhere near the 9th inning....Putz or Thornton for closer

:headbang :gosox2:

Here is the deal....

Thornton sucked today....walked two to lead off the inning?

JJ Putz sucked yesterday....did he even get an out? And today he gave up a rope that Alexei miraculously turned into a inning ending doubleplay.

Sergio struggled as recently as last week.

Hello,gang, Bobby was nasty today,cept for no command of his breaking stuff. If they stick to fastballs,he closes it out no problem.

The Twins new closer blew a save this week. It happens.

Bobbys stuff is still very good...97mph fastball.

The breaking ball to Raeburn was a stupid pitch to call....that is all.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
Here is the deal....

JJ Putz sucked yesterday....did he even get an out? And today he gave up a rope that Alexei miraculously turned into a inning ending doubleplay.

Hello,gang, Bobby was nasty today,cept for no command of his breaking stuff. If they stick to fastballs,he closes it out no problem.

Great analysis.

Capps blew that game because Delmon Young might be the worst LFer in baseball.

In all honesty, he did give up the hit to Dan Johnson, but it wasn't Capps' fault, anymore than Benoit deserves a loss today for a lousy speaker getting in the way of a high pop-up that should have been the 3rd out.

Maybe it would be better to use the example of Valverde...he was the 2nd or 3rd best AL closer until they encountered the Tigers, and he took the loss today as well. I guess that's right in line with Jenks' three terrible performances beginning July 18th through today (MIN/SEA/DET).

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
Here is the deal....

You can't be nasty without command of your out pitch, his curveball.

Also,

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 03:54 PM)
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7285/s...0GeLdKc2TuFCLcF

Success and failure for him is the difference between night and day... literally.

At least this year anyway.

QUOTE (Hawk09 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
Here is the deal....

exactly.

And I don't really care about Jenks' "stuff" these days.

The main thing that matters is putting away hitters when it counts...like Edwin Jackson did yesterday, and Jenks used to do.

Now, when he gets ahead, instead of just blowing hitters away, he'll try to get them to chase offspeed pitches. It has happened way too often...and, as the old saying goes, "you shouldn't get beat on your 2nd/3rd/4th best pitch."

Javy Vasquez always had GREAT stuff, but he managed to make 2-3 really really stupid hanging pitches per game that always seemed to turn the tide to the other team...it doesn't matter how many K's he piled up or how many pitches he had in is arsenal, it's the lack of cajones he sometimes demonstrated when the game was the on the line. Jenks used to have that ability, and now I think the entire team is questioning whether or not its gone for good. Closers sometimes rebound, look at Brad Lidge, but it's more than a shadow of a doubt now when Jenks is in to close a game, it's to the point where you expect something bad to happen, and that's absolutely horrible for the morale of a team that's playing like we have been for 51 games now (the second best all-time White Sox streak after the 1983 Sox rolled off a magnificent 39-11 stretch that buried the Rangers).

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
And I don't really care about Jenks' "stuff" these days.

The main thing that matters is putting away hitters when it counts...like Edwin Jackson did yesterday, and Jenks used to do.

Now, when he gets ahead, instead of just blowing hitters away, he'll try to get them to chase offspeed pitches. It has happened way too often...and, as the old saying goes, "you shouldn't get beat on your 2nd/3rd/4th best pitch."

Javy Vasquez always had GREAT stuff, but he managed to make 2-3 really really stupid hanging pitches per game that always seemed to turn the tide to the other team...it doesn't matter how many K's he piled up or how many pitches he had in is arsenal, it's the lack of cajones he sometimes demonstrated when the game was the on the line. Jenks used to have that ability, and now I think the entire team is questioning whether or not its gone for good. Closers sometimes rebound, look at Brad Lidge, but it's more than a shadow of a doubt now when Jenks is in to close a game, it's to the point where you expect something bad to happen, and that's absolutely horrible for the morale of a team that's playing like we have been for 51 games now, the second best all-time White Sox streak after the 1983 Sox rolled up 39-11 in one stretch.

exactly.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)

Was I the only one who watched Bobby Jenks his first 3 years in the big leagues? He always, always, always used the curveball as his out pitch. He'd get ahead, get 2 strikes on the hitter, and everyone knew the hook was coming...no one could hit it though since they still had the fastball to protect against.

Yes, Balta....he used to have a devastating cutter and a nasty curveball.

They were close to unhittable. But for whatever reason, he doesn't throw them with the same crispness or conviction anymore.

But at that time, when he was consistently 95-99 with the fastball, the cutter was a pitch that was around 90-91 MPH and impossible to square up, especially for lefties when it was thrown down and in.

Then he had that 10+ MPH differential with the curveball...even more difficult.

You'd have to ask Jenks why he can't throw it as well anymore, the conjecture has attached to his protecting his elbow so he can get a contract for 2011.

Edited by caulfield12