Greinke very candid about frustration with Royals

caulfield12

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 11:58 PM)
Zack should have flat out said something like - "fire Dayton Moore already, he doesn't know how to build a team".

You can make some legit complaints about keeping guys in the minors for too long...but really, there's a lot to like with how they've operated this season.

Their minors suddenly look nearly loaded with talented guys

They signed guys who blocked their young players...then dealt those guys for additional youth

They held onto the guys under their control and waited for a great offer (Which they didn't get).

Legitimately they need to start looking to move Greinke this offseason or next season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 07:56 AM)
You can make some legit complaints about keeping guys in the minors for too long...but really, there's a lot to like with how they've operated this season.

Their minors suddenly look nearly loaded with talented guys

They signed guys who blocked their young players...then dealt those guys for additional youth

They held onto the guys under their control and waited for a great offer (Which they didn't get).

Legitimately they need to start looking to move Greinke this offseason or next season.

They didn't need to waste any of the money they used on those terrible veteran players, such as Ankiel and Jason Kendall. Did I mention anything about Yuniesky Betancourt?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
They didn't need to waste any of the money they used on those terrible veteran players, such as Ankiel and Jason Kendall. Did I mention anything about Yuniesky Betancourt?

You'll note though...Ankiel...got traded! The deal didn't bring back a top of the league prospect, but it did bring back some guys who might be MLB caliber filler players at some point, and even that can be valuable.

If I were sitting in Moore's chair, I'd be trying to draft as well as I can, develop guys in the minors as much as I can...but then I'd also be taking some money and signing some guys in FA to fill things I considered obvious holes or places where I'd rather not bring up my young talent just yet (develop them more in the minors and push back their Arb years). I'd go after guys that aren't hugely expensive, even if I have to overpay a little to get them to KC, and I'd go after guys that for whatever reason might be able to play well enough to turn themselves into trade-bait. That way, maybe I sign one guy and he winds up being a complete waste, but maybe I sign an Ankiel/Podsednik, get a couple wins out of them, and then deal them for more young roster filler pieces to a desperate team at the deadline.

If I draft well and can fill in top line players through the draft, I can round out my roster with other cheap guys by that technique.

We'll see if they get anything back for Guillen or not. I think they will get a B/C prospect.

Willie Bloomquist was one of those signs that everyone shakes their head, he's sort of their version of Mark Kotsay, albeit younger.

Then Gil Meche, he was very good the first 2-3 years of that contract, but once again evidence of the danger of giving out 4-5 year contracts for pitchers in terms of their health/injury problems down the line.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)
You'll note though...Ankiel...got traded! The deal didn't bring back a top of the league prospect, but it did bring back some guys who might be MLB caliber filler players at some point, and even that can be valuable.

If I were sitting in Moore's chair, I'd be trying to draft as well as I can, develop guys in the minors as much as I can...but then I'd also be taking some money and signing some guys in FA to fill things I considered obvious holes or places where I'd rather not bring up my young talent just yet (develop them more in the minors and push back their Arb years). I'd go after guys that aren't hugely expensive, even if I have to overpay a little to get them to KC, and I'd go after guys that for whatever reason might be able to play well enough to turn themselves into trade-bait. That way, maybe I sign one guy and he winds up being a complete waste, but maybe I sign an Ankiel/Podsednik, get a couple wins out of them, and then deal them for more young roster filler pieces to a desperate team at the deadline.

If I draft well and can fill in top line players through the draft, I can round out my roster with other cheap guys by that technique.

I'll tell you what, I have no idea why teams like the Royals don't stock up on veteran relievers in the offseason, even if they have to overpay a little. As long as the deals are for one year, these guys are easy to move at the deadline and if they're performing well, can give you quite a haul.

The Pirates' signing of Octavio Dotel is a perfect example.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
I'll tell you what, I have no idea why teams like the Royals don't stock up on veteran relievers in the offseason, even if they have to overpay a little. As long as the deals are for one year, these guys are easy to move at the deadline and if they're performing well, can give you quite a haul.

The Pirates' signing of Octavio Dotel is a perfect example.

They tried and they failed. Kyle Farnsworth, Juan Cruz, etc...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)

I know that he got traded, got some decent prospects back too.

The problem with Moore is that he takes whatever little money he has and wastes it on bad baseball players. Instead of signing Kelly Johnson to a similar deal the Diamondbacks offered him, he signs Rick Ankiel. His evaluation of major league talent sucks.

And frankly, his management of minor league talent also sucked up until this year. He's kept Kila the Hawaiian dude trapped down in the minors for the past three years. Who did he play in favor of him? Oh...you know, two DFA candidates in Jose Guillen and Mike Jacobs. And I won't even start to talk about Alex Gordon.

He's had ML ready players on this team and in the system, instead of letting them play, he's blocking them with replacement level players.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
I know that he got traded, got some decent prospects back too.

The problem with Moore is that he takes whatever little money he has and wastes it on bad baseball players. Instead of signing Kelly Johnson to a similar deal the Diamondbacks offered him, he signs Rick Ankiel. His evaluation of major league talent sucks.

And frankly, his management of minor league talent also sucked up until this year. He's kept Kila the Hawaiian dude trapped down in the minors for the past three years. Who did he play in favor of him? Oh...you know, two DFA candidates in Jose Guillen and Mike Jacobs. And I won't even start to talk about Alex Gordon.

He's had ML ready players on this team and in the system, instead of letting them play, he's blocking them with replacement level players.

A lot of teams missed out on Kelly Johnson.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 02:18 PM)

Yeah, the reason fans here in KC (and Zack) are confused and again pissed is the Royals indicated they would have a mixture of veteran players to go with youth so they could be contending. Remmeber they've signed those guys you mentioned as well as Meche and Jose "One of the Most Disgraceful players in KC history" Guillen. As well as one of my faves, Pods, instead of just playing a young guy this year.

They had indicated one plan, now it's changed. ... again.

I haven't read Dayton's response to Zack if there's been one, but kudos to Zack for speaking out.

I didn't read if Zack thanked the Royals for being patient with him when he was mentally checking out a few seasons ago. The Royals should have his respect forever for helping him out there.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 12:53 PM)
A lot of teams missed out on Kelly Johnson.

I don't know how. The guy has a very good eye, has some pop for a MI, and can steal 15-20 SBs and he gets signed for only $2+ million. I don't know how this guy wasn't an option for more teams. I was clamoring for Kenny to sign him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)
I don't know how. The guy has a very good eye, has some pop for a MI, and can steal 15-20 SBs and he gets signed for only $2+ million. I don't know how this guy wasn't an option for more teams. I was clamoring for Kenny to sign him.

They probably got scared of his terrible 2009 numbers.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 12:50 AM)
Oh for sure, but you can't let one season's worth of poor numbers scare you off of fairly young talent...

As we saw with the Haren trade, some teams will take small sample sizes seriously.

Edited by chw42