the comments after the loss in the game thread

Greg Hibbard

"Just can't afford to lose this game tonight..."

"will be sitting at home this postseason unless certain players get their act together..."

"...that's what good teams do (the twins tying the game)"

I would have expected after an uncharacteristic bad loss (one of VERY FEW bad losses in the past 51 games...I think I count 3 maybe 4 total) that people would be a little negative, but are we really this faithless?

The team just rattled off 9 of 11 and 38 of 51, and although yesterday was an almost-loss, we ultimately got the job done. You expect a division rival to play hard and put themselves in a position to win...I was not surprised that Detroit didn't just roll over. I'm still pissed at Bobby, obv.

Two losses to Baltimore would probably be wholly unacceptable. One loss just isn't, folks...especially on the road.

Bear in mind Texas lost 4 straight at home to the Showalter-less Orioles earlier this season...did that sabotage their whole season?

Every contender has bad losses. The key is to minimize them. Hopefully we are able to rattle off three straight.

When the best you can hope to do at this game is basically win 65% of your games, you're gonna have some bad losses in there. Let's make sure we get after em tomorrow.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 11:14 PM)

"will be sitting at home this postseason unless certain players get their act together..."

I would have expected after an uncharacteristic bad loss (one of VERY FEW bad losses in the past 51 games...I think I count 3 maybe 4 total) that people would be a little negative, but are we really this faithless?

The team just rattled off 9 of 11 and 38 of 51, and although yesterday was an almost-loss, we ultimately got the job done. You expect a division rival to play hard and put themselves in a position to win...I was not surprised that Detroit didn't just roll over. I'm still pissed at Bobby, obv.

Two losses to Baltimore would probably be wholly unacceptable. One loss just isn't, folks...especially on the road.

Bear in mind Texas lost 4 straight at home to the Showalter-less Orioles earlier this season...did that sabotage their whole season?

Every contender has bad losses. The key is to minimize them. Hopefully we are able to rattle off three straight.

When the best you can hope to do at this game is basically win 65% of your games, you're gonna have some bad losses in there. Let's make sure we get after em tomorrow.

My comment about not being able to afford the loss was because Danksy was pitching against a vastly inferior pitcher. You have a huge edge in pitching, a much better team, and a chance to pick up a game on the Indians, and you lose to the O's? Of course losses happen, but this is one we've got to win.

But the thing is, this is a reinvigorated team under Showalter finally playing with a sense of direction and urgency.

They beat the Angels three in a row and now have won four in a row, total.

As we've learned throughout the years, there are no easy opponents down the stretch...teams out of the pennant race tend to play "free and easy," whereas the teams at the top of the standings tend to tighten up.

The fact of the matter is that Liriano against an unknown Indians' pitcher, you'd also figure that match-up is hugely favorable for the Twins.

There are no longer any "sure wins" at this point in the season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 6, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
But the thing is, this is a reinvigorated team under Showalter finally playing with a sense of direction and urgency.

They beat the Angels three in a row and now have won four in a row, total.

As we've learned throughout the years, there are no easy opponents down the stretch...teams out of the pennant race tend to play "free and easy," whereas the teams at the top of the standings tend to tighten up.

The fact of the matter is that Liriano against an unknown Indians' pitcher, you'd also figure that match-up is hugely favorable for the Twins.

There are no longer any "sure wins" at this point in the season.

Give me a break. Buck Showalter is a tool and the Orioles are a bad major league baseball team. Reinvigorated? They scored two runs in 10 innings. Unfortunately, we could only muster one. We flat out blew this one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 06:35 AM)
Give me a break. Buck Showalter is a tool and the Orioles are a bad major league baseball team. Reinvigorated? They scored two runs in 10 innings. Unfortunately, we could only muster one. We flat out blew this one.

Nothing on the road ever comes easy. I'll be happy with a split of any series, though 3 of 4 here would be nice. Don't we typically suck against the O's?

As far as the first post, this board has been on the rag pretty much all season. I don't get it, but it is a very very negative place to be for the most part. Much nastier this season than last. Again, I really don't understand it. Game threads of course are the nastiest, but even those are much more vicious this season.

Not complaining, just stating how I see it. Wonder if Rongey's postgame has been more vicious this season than the past.

Edited by greg775

Yu mean bored with his optimism??

Somebody wanting to see the bright side or ? Not sure what you mean, but I get "bored" with all the negativity and find a positive thread refreshing.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 07:52 AM)
Didn't the magic number dwindle? One less chance for the Twinkies to catch us. Nice job boys!

Yeah as long as the Twins lose I can't find myself upset. And it's not like the Twins lost to a good team either. There are going to be losses where the offense doesn't show up. Of course I will be upset if they can't take three games in this series.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
No offense but I get really bored with these threads/series of posts that seem to come weekly.

that's fair, all of us have different takes on this team and this season, but also understand for many of us the overwhelming negativity about this season gets boring for a lot of us too. This team played one of their worse offensive games in weeks last night, it happens, until it becomes a trend again I'm not going to freak out about it.

I was actually happy that Ozzie saved the pen and didn't try and do anything stupid tonight since they have a long stretch coming up without a day off. A baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint. Until that Minnesota pitching staff, especially the bullpen, starts to show signs of trending towards stabilizing I don't see how they run away with this division, it's going to be a close race to the end and nights like last night are going to happen for both the Sox and Twins.

Liriano pitched last night against a rookie, granted one who as 2-0, but still a rookie and the Twins lost. Also, Danks numbers ended up being good last night, but honestly, he got away with a few bad pitches that either the Os just missed or completely whiffed on, so it's not like he had his best stuff last night, but baseball being baseball and the Os being bad, it was good enough to keep the Sox in the game.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 07:06 AM)
Yeah as long as the Twins lose I can't find myself upset. And it's not like the Twins lost to a good team either. There are going to be losses where the offense doesn't show up. Of course I will be upset if they can't take three games in this series.

3 out of 4 would be great, but I could live with 2-2, a 5-3 road trip with 8 games in 7 days is acceptable to me.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 08:28 AM)
that's fair, all of us have different takes on this team and this season, but also understand for many of us the overwhelming negativity about this season gets boring for a lot of us too. This team played one of their worse offensive games in weeks last night, it happens, until it becomes a trend again I'm not going to freak out about it.

I was actually happy that Ozzie saved the pen and didn't try and do anything stupid tonight since they have a long stretch coming up without a day off. A baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint. Until that Minnesota pitching staff, especially the bullpen, starts to show signs of trending towards stabilizing I don't see how they run away with this division, it's going to be a close race to the end and nights like last night are going to happen for both the Sox and Twins.

Liriano pitched last night against a rookie, granted one who as 2-0, but still a rookie and the Twins lost. Also, Danks numbers ended up being good last night, but honestly, he got away with a few bad pitches that either the Os just missed or completely whiffed on, so it's not like he had his best stuff last night, but baseball being baseball and the Os being bad, it was good enough to keep the Sox in the game.

3 out of 4 would be great, but I could live with 2-2, a 5-3 road trip with 8 games in 7 days is acceptable to me.

When you took 3 of 4 from the Tigers, you better take 3 of 4 from a 36 win Orioles team.

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 12:14 AM)

+1

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 02:23 AM)
Yu mean bored with his optimism??

Somebody wanting to see the bright side or ? Not sure what you mean, but I get "bored" with all the negativity and find a positive thread refreshing.

Bored with the inevitable holier-than-thou posts that always pop uup, and the "how dare you criticize player x what kind of fam are you, they're winning" posts.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 07:06 AM)

That's the key.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
Bored with the inevitable holier-than-thou posts that always pop uup, and the "how dare you criticize player x what kind of fam are you, they're winning" posts.

I get bored with the opposite of finding the negative in everything. Especially the people who never post until the team starts playing badly, even if it is just for a few innings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
I get bored with the opposite of finding the negative in everything. Especially the people who never post until the team starts playing badly, even if it is just for a few innings.

I get bored with people overreacting over 1 game in a 162 game season. It's not the NFL.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)

Who does that? It seems to me that most people post pretty regularly.

Nobody likes to lose, but you can't win 162 games. The offense didn't click and maybe we left a relief pitcher in a bit longer than he should have been there, but it is what it is and we just need to come back and win Saturday, which by the way is on WGN amd I'll be watching

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 10:48 AM)
O's are running out Millwood (2-11 6.05 ERA), Guthrie (5-11 4.21 ERA), and Mutusz (4-11 5.26 ERA) while we will run out Floyd, Buehrle, and Jackson. Danks has been VERY unlucky all season and it just continued last night. I still like our chances to win the next 3.

Well, if we're looking at match-ups, we had our best chance in the first game.