THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER

Quin

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
Ozzie did screw up the 1-5 slots at one point in time this year, just see how many times Kotsay's hit 5th.

Plus, Kotsay batting 6th is still a bad idea.

And the thing with talent - I think this goes back to Ozzie's reluctance to have a real DH who can hit instead of Mark Kotsay.

While I agree that Kotsay should never hit 5th, it was happening at a time when Quentin was playing just as terribly as Kotsay and, frankly, nobody deserved to play in the 5-hole. What does it matter which worthless player is batting 5th if they're all putting up about .205/.290/.370? Might as well put in the lefty.

I'm not denying that Ozzie has a silly infatuation with Kotsay, or that he's leaving a little juice in the orange by arranging the lineup the way he does, but I also don't think it's been a disaster, nor particularly detrimental to the team.

Sure, I get the idea that problems are problems and there's no point leaving them when options are available, but I'm also not worried about Superman if he's got a hangnail; he might as well clip that sucker off, but if he doesn't and still saves the world.......meh.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 02:15 AM)
Superman doesn't have a hangnail, it's more like a dingleberry.

Thats cuz they haven't invented toilet paper strong enough for the task at hand.

...wait, are we still doing a metaphor?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 04:38 AM)
Let's just put it this way: we're winning despite his lineups...

I prefer to think of it as we are winning because the players that he puts on the field every day are playing very well -- with part of the reason the players are playing well -- is the Chicago White Sox have an excellent manager who did not give up on his team when said players were playing like bums in April and May.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 01:00 AM)
I prefer to think of it as we are winning because the players that he puts on the field every day are playing very well -- with part of the reason the players are playing well -- is the Chicago White Sox have an excellent manager who did not give up on his team when said players were playing like bums in April and May.

Even though Ozzie drives me crazy, I love him.

That being said, he did tell the team that half of them would be gone by June in April & May.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 07:13 AM)

That being said, he did tell the team that half of them would be gone by June in April & May.

I just wonder how many Ozzie detractors listen to his pregame quotes and read the articles. He always has a good reason for the things he does. I don't see how any sports fan who listens to the guy cannot love him. He's what makes sports fun. Not a dull company man who speaks corporate-ese. He f***ing speaks his mind. He's fricking hilarious. He's the antithesis of an ass kisser. I love the guy as well.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
And I just have to say that Ozzie needs to limit Rios in trying to steal bases, he's been so inefficient.

Pierre is probably the only guy worth running. We ran into so many outs in this game I was kicking chairs around.

Rios was safe, so actually no.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 02:13 AM)

Ozzie is losing a lot more games for this team then a manager ever should. A manager's job is to put his team in the best position to ball games, Ozzie isn't doing that. Instead, he's handicapping this team by being stubborn and shortsighted.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
Ozzie is losing a lot more games for this team then a manager ever should. A manager's job is to put his team in the best position to ball games, Ozzie isn't doing that. Instead, he's handicapping this team by being stubborn and shortsighted.

Are you sure? Because I thought the consensus around here was that the Sox were playing over their heads, talent-wise, over the last few months, which would be a CREDIT to Ozzie. If not, you're saying any other manager would have us playing better than .700 baseball? I find that hard to believe, and I kind of doubt he's losing us very many games.

Results aren't 100% of the equation, but they're 90% in my book.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 09:39 AM)

According to the Pythagorean, since June 9th, the Sox have played to their exact expected record. Prior to June 9th, they played 1 game better than expected. So if Pythagorean is to hold any credibility, Ozzie cannot be blamed for losing games.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 08:39 AM)

I was always in the "Sox won the WS in spite of Ozzie" camp; many times arguing that the most important managerial job was to keep players focused, hungry, battling, etc etc, and just as often pointed to guys like Scosia who's consistently headed a contender in Anaheim. However, I have to give Ozzie sole credit for pulling this group from the abyss in June, especially with a number of young players who can't be expected to do so themselves.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 09:16 PM)
And I just have to say that Ozzie needs to limit Rios in trying to steal bases, he's been so inefficient.

Pierre is probably the only guy worth running. We ran into so many outs in this game I was kicking chairs around.

Rios was safe btw. Blown call

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 10:13 AM)
According to the Pythagorean, since June 9th, the Sox have played to their exact expected record. Prior to June 9th, they played 1 game better than expected. So if Pythagorean is to hold any credibility, Ozzie cannot be blamed for losing games.

However...if you put the worst lineup possible out there every game, wouldn't the pythagorean still wind up agreeing with the record?

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 01:49 PM)
Great game! My last of the year but I ended the season at 6-0. I also walked past KW on the concourse and punched his arm (not too hard). At first I kinda got a wtf expression followed shortly by a smile and a nod.

You're on his list now.

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Aug 8, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
Great game! My last of the year but I ended the season at 6-0. I also walked past KW on the concourse and punched his arm (not too hard). At first I kinda got a wtf expression followed shortly by a smile and a nod.

someone's getting traded to new york for a bag of balls.