So that was a disaster of a series.

Buehrle>Wood

Complete disaster on that note. Going into the biggest series of the year, we expected to win at least 3 out of 4 against a god awful Orioles team. We responded by losing 3 of 4. Inexcusable. Terrible job by our offense and then our defense and Ozzie today as well.

We picked a hell of a time to play like this. It better not carry over.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
All I can say about this clusterf*** of a series is at least the pitching wasnt bad. But the offense was April-May bad.

The pitching was pretty good... no complaints about the effort from any of the starters or the bullpen. The offense really has to do better than that though... I mean come on. Probably wasted 5 outs on the basepaths to boot.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 09:14 PM)
Close games. Offense in a rut but ruts happen over the course of a year.

Baltimore has talent, they're in a tough division. We dropped three of four to the same team, we shouldnt get so bent out of shape over this instead of a different 3 out of 4 lost to several teams of comparable talent.

As does every major league baseball team. The Orioles just happen to be the worst "talented" major league team.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 09:07 PM)
Complete disaster on that note. Going into the biggest series of the year, we expected to win at least 3 out of 4 against a god awful Orioles team. We responded by losing 3 of 4. Inexcusable. Terrible job by our offense and then our defense and Ozzie today as well.

We picked a hell of a time to play like this. It better not carry over.

Love these types of posts. Dont worry it will be 2012 soon and it will all be over.

Here is the tale of the two groups and their take on the series. The pitching....

''We should [beat them],'' Buehrle said. ''We are playing one of the worst teams in baseball. [Pitcher John] Danks said that coming into the game, you look at their lineup and wonder how that team is that bad. We should come in here and beat these guys. If we want to get to where we want to be, we got to beat teams like this.''

The offense

''You never think it's going to be easy. I don't,'' Konerko said. ''If anybody says it's going to be or is arrogant and thinks you can just walk out there and beat anybody, it's not going to happen. In the big leagues, that's the way it is. We still have a game [tonight], so we've got to salvage something before we walk out of here."

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
Here is the tale of the two groups and their take on the series. The pitching....

''We should [beat them],'' Buehrle said. ''We are playing one of the worst teams in baseball. [Pitcher John] Danks said that coming into the game, you look at their lineup and wonder how that team is that bad. We should come in here and beat these guys. If we want to get to where we want to be, we got to beat teams like this.''

The offense

''You never think it's going to be easy. I don't,'' Konerko said. ''If anybody says it's going to be or is arrogant and thinks you can just walk out there and beat anybody, it's not going to happen. In the big leagues, that's the way it is. We still have a game [tonight], so we've got to salvage something before we walk out of here."

Now we know why one group is good while the other is barely average.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 11:00 PM)
Now we know why one group is good while the other is barely average.

For years we have had made up boogey men in domes, and have tipped our caps to many a 6 ERA pitcher who may or may not be released in his next start. The pitching is keeping this thing together and can be extremely dangerous in a short series against anyone. The offense needs to start being dangerous. There are no more dome goblins, and the twins team is not a slappy grindy thing that Guillen and friends have feared. We just need to maximize our offense's capability. I would DH Viciedo. Have Kostay on the bench as a PH. Omar over at 3rd for now and Castro behind the dish. That optimizes our offense as much as we can for right now.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 05:07 AM)
For years we have had made up boogey men in domes, and have tipped our caps to many a 6 ERA pitcher who may or may not be released in his next start. The pitching is keeping this thing together and can be extremely dangerous in a short series against anyone. The offense needs to start being dangerous. There are no more dome goblins, and the twins team is not a slappy grindy thing that Guillen and friends have feared. We just need to maximize our offense's capability. I would DH Viciedo. Have Kostay on the bench as a PH. Omar over at 3rd for now and Castro behind the dish. That optimizes our offense as much as we can for right now.

I don't think we've made up boogeymen in domes. The Twinks normally had an amazing record in that piece of s*** building, knew how to play in there, and regularly kicked our ass in there. They'd rout us or find a way to beat us in the worst possible ways. Our team sucked ass in there, but I don't think it was all mental. They beat us.

They also recently beat us 3 of 4 in their new outdoor stadium.

I think if we are playing well, it's a tossup every game at the Cell. I'd think if we play well we can win 2 of 3, no more than that.

If we play lousy, we can easily lose 2 of 3.

I can't imagine it being a sweep either way.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 9, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
I don't think we've made up boogeymen in domes. The Twinks normally had an amazing record in that piece of s*** building, knew how to play in there, and regularly kicked our ass in there. They'd rout us or find a way to beat us in the worst possible ways. Our team sucked ass in there, but I don't think it was all mental. They beat us.

They also recently beat us 3 of 4 in their new outdoor stadium.

I think if we are playing well, it's a tossup every game at the Cell. I'd think if we play well we can win 2 of 3, no more than that.

If we play lousy, we can easily lose 2 of 3.

I can't imagine it being a sweep either way.

The dome was all mental.

This was the first bad series the team has played, basically, since the first week of June. That's two months, and that's pretty amazing. This was bound to happen eventually, and it happened on the road, against an underachieving team who just got a new manager. Losing 3 of 4 is nothing to panic about, at all.

The only really scary thing is the offensive woes, and the fact that the Sox are still without a major league DH. Not sure there is any way to address that at this point, but perhaps getting Teahen back might help a bit, if he plays over Kotsay.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 07:27 AM)
This was the first bad series the team has played, basically, since the first week of June. That's two months, and that's pretty amazing. This was bound to happen eventually, and it happened on the road, against an underachieving team who just got a new manager. Losing 3 of 4 is nothing to panic about, at all.

The only really scary thing is the offensive woes, and the fact that the Sox are still without a major league DH. Not sure there is any way to address that at this point, but perhaps getting Teahen back might help a bit, if he plays over Kotsay.

That will only happen if Kotsay is DFA'd

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 07:33 AM)
That will only happen if Kotsay is DFA'd

I'm not sure of that. I know everyone says that Ozzie loves Kotsay therefore Kotsay will always play full time if he's with the team... but once Teahen is back, I think its actually possible that Kotsay is indeed let go... and if not, will play less often.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 07:27 AM)

What worries me about the offensive woes is that Quentin has basically been worthless away from the Cell. His home splits are: .271/.387/.590 which is outstanding. On the road, he has hit .188/.267/.376, which basically makes him worse than Mark Kotsay. The Sox still have 22 games on the road, so he is gonna have to figure that out, if they are gonna start winning away from the South Side. Not to mention, they won't have home field if they make the playoffs, which could almost neutralize CQ if he keeps those numbers up.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)
What worries me about the offensive woes is that Quentin has basically been worthless away from the Cell. His home splits are: .271/.387/.590 which is outstanding. On the road, he has hit .188/.267/.376, which basically makes him worse than Mark Kotsay. The Sox still have 22 games on the road, so he is gonna have to figure that out, if they are gonna start winning away from the South Side. Not to mention, they won't have home field if they make the playoffs, which could almost neutralize CQ if he keeps those numbers up.

On the road, we seem to get a lot more of "twitchy Carlos" -- the guy who starts swinging during his walk from the on-deck circle.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 07:36 AM)
I'm not sure of that. I know everyone says that Ozzie loves Kotsay therefore Kotsay will always play full time if he's with the team... but once Teahen is back, I think its actually possible that Kotsay is indeed let go... and if not, will play less often.

I place the odds at 70/30 that Kotsay is the one Kenny dumps because of how much Kenny has been hunting for a bat.