So that was a disaster of a series.

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
I think the Orioles right now are better than the Mariners, and certainly better than at least 4 National League teams.

The Mariners? The same Mariners who beat the mighty Yankees two outta three in a series at the end of June/beginning of July? Those Mariners? Gosh, that outcome must have sunk the Yankees season right there and then, I mean, losing a series to the lowly Mariners like that. I'll have to go check to see how they are doing, but I'm sure it's not good. They lost "a" series to a crappy team - end of season!!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
The Mariners? The same Mariners who beat the mighty Yankees two outta three in a series at the end of June/beginning of July? Those Mariners? Gosh, that outcome must have sunk the Yankees season right there and then, I mean, losing a series to the lowly Mariners like that. I'll have to go check to see how they are doing, but I'm sure it's not good. They lost "a" series to a crappy team - end of season!!

Your attempt at being negative towards negative posters is equally annoying.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)

I see what you're doing here, and I agree with the principle, but to be fair those Mariners had Cliff Lee, and these do not.

My friend the O's fan has this take on the series:

We're not the worst team in baseball by anything but record, and that's not us "getting hot" it's just playing to our ability against an undermanned team. Our record is indicates one thing: an inability to beat 4 certain teams, and three of those teams are in our division: The Yanks (2-10), Rays (2-7), and Jays (0-12). We're also pretty s*** against the Athletics (3-7) and always have been, dunno why.

That's 30 games below .500 right there in just 43 games against those 4 teams. We're much closer to even against the rest of the league, including division leaders CWS (3-1), and TEX (4-2), and playoff hopefuls BOS (6-6). So unless the other team facing us is one of those top 4, we enter with a fairly decent chance of winning. But when you've played over a third of your season against teams that have your number, you just don't look so hot in the standings.

So how do we lose? We're last in the league with RISP at around .232, (about a month old, can't find more accurate data). If that was even a LITTLE better, you'd bet we wouldn't have 16 one-run losses. Same goes for our pitching, our team ERA is 5.08, second to last in the league. If that was even a LITTLE better, you think we wouldn't be that much closer to .500? But it's difficult to improve those stats when you have a young, inexperienced (and poorly coached) team facing the best lineups and the best rotations in baseball.

We'll be good one of these days. The kids need to stop mailing it in and play. That seems to be what Showalter is doing, making them play.

So the CWS are, IMO, a legitimately worse team than the Orioles with a better record. Sorry to say it, boss, but you only have winning records against 4 teams and interleague. Those 4 AL teams are the Angels, Royals, Tigers, and Mariners. By record, those are 4 of the bottom 6 teams in the AL, and I'd take my Orioles over all of them. Additionally, your NL wins came against the Pirates, Nationals, Cubs, and Braves. Only the Braves are a good team. Everyone else is just complete trash. The ONLY good team you've beaten all year is Atlanta. If you do make the postseason, I highly doubt you go anywhere. Although we won't actually make the postseason, at least we Orioles fans know that if we played in any other division, we'd blow them out of the water.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
My friend the O's fan has this take on the series:

So the CWS are, IMO, a legitimately worse team than the Orioles with a better record. Sorry to say it, boss, but you only have winning records against 4 teams and interleague. Those 4 AL teams are the Angels, Royals, Tigers, and Mariners. By record, those are 4 of the bottom 6 teams in the AL, and I'd take my Orioles over all of them. Additionally, your NL wins came against the Pirates, Nationals, Cubs, and Braves. Only the Braves are a good team. Everyone else is just complete trash. The ONLY good team you've beaten all year is Atlanta. If you do make the postseason, I highly doubt you go anywhere. Although we won't actually make the postseason, at least we Orioles fans know that if we played in any other division, we'd blow them out of the water.

So the White Sox are worse than the Orioles, and the Orioles have only been unlucky this year because they've gotten curb-stomped by 4 teams? That's funny, because they are also 6-19 against Cleveland, Detroit, Florida, Kansas City, New York (Mets), and Seattle, which is 13 games under .500 against 6 teams with losing records, and 3 of those teams are well below .500.

So he can take his Orioles over the Angels, Royals, Tigers, and Mariners, but considering how bad they've been overall, it's fair to say that they are still atleast a 90 loss team in any other division. I'd say their talent level is actually pretty comparable to that of the Nationals, and they're well on their way to losing 90 games in a division not nearly as strong as the AL East.

You can go ahead and tell your Orioles friend that he's delusional. To be fair though, I think we all would be too if the Sox hadn't won 80 games in 13 years.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
So the White Sox are worse than the Orioles, and the Orioles have only been unlucky this year because they've gotten curb-stomped by 4 teams? That's funny, because they are also 6-19 against Cleveland, Detroit, Florida, Kansas City, New York (Mets), and Seattle, which is 13 games under .500 against 6 teams with losing records, and 3 of those teams are well below .500.

So he can take his Orioles over the Angels, Royals, Tigers, and Mariners, but considering how bad they've been overall, it's fair to say that they are still atleast a 90 loss team in any other division. I'd say their talent level is actually pretty comparable to that of the Nationals, and they're well on their way to losing 90 games in a division not nearly as strong as the AL East.

You can go ahead and tell your Orioles friend that he's delusional. To be fair though, I think we all would be too if the Sox hadn't won 80 games in 13 years.

I was with him on the "O's are better than the record appears to be" until I saw that.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 02:13 PM)
I was with him on the "O's are better than the record appears to be" until I saw that.

Seriously. It would have been better for him to say that the O's are a bad team with a lot of young talent that got played the Sox well. 25 game disparities don't happen because of luck. The O's played decent baseball, the Sox played like dogs***, and they still could have won all 3 games that they lost.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
That series vs the Twinkies after the ASB was also a doozy...

While I don't want to exagerate, losing 3 of 4 was bad, don't give a crap if they got a new manager, you simply don't lose to the worst team in MLB if you want to go deep in the playoffs IMO.

Twins fans are chomping at the bit, saying stuff like "this guys aren't so good, if we get anything from our starters, we should win the series"...nice.

Well, I do think this is one of those years when you can line up the names that each team has in the starting lineup -- and the Twins ARE better, position by position (especially with Morneau, of ocurse). But I guess my point is that it doesn't mean s***, basically, and especially if your pitching is worse. All those years the Twins gave us fits -- and we had Lee and Ordonez and Thomas -- illustrate that point. The key is whether we play smart or stupid. Translation: stop running into outs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 02:05 PM)
After his last couple outings I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Viciedo back in AAA, and I'm not sure I can be that angry about the decision. The scouting report is now out on him.

That would be my guess at this point. Teahan is a 3Bman, OF help/DH and Dayan would just be struggling for playing time worse then he is now. There are roles to play and DV is the third man of three. I think Viciedo needs more seasoning. He has so much potential, but now just isn 't his time IMO

Edited by elrockinMT

The title of this thread scares me.

Cause tonight was a disaster of a start to a series. It couldn't have been worse. Not only did the Sox lose but the Sox got embarrassed pretty much.

If we scored 10 runs tonight, you know Sox version of Murphy's Law would have us scoring one tomorrow. Will the Twins' bats be silent after such a massacre? We can hope.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 11:59 PM)
The title of this thread scares me.

Cause tonight was a disaster of a start to a series. It couldn't have been worse. Not only did the Sox lose but the Sox got embarrassed pretty much.

If we scored 10 runs tonight, you know Sox version of Murphy's Law would have us scoring one tomorrow. Will the Twins' bats be silent after such a massacre? We can hope.

It's like they say, in baseball momentum only goes up to the next day's starting pitcher. The Sox are throwing one of their top two pitchers out there, while the Twins are bringing up a guy from the minors who struggled his last two seasons in the big leagues. Tonight's the type of game the Sox need to win with the pitching matchup in their favor. The Twins are hitting the ball well now, but the junk that the Sox pitchers were throwing had a lot to do with their HR outburst last night. Danks should be able to quiet their bats.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 05:51 AM)
It's like they say, in baseball momentum only goes up to the next day's starting pitcher. The Sox are throwing one of their top two pitchers out there, while the Twins are bringing up a guy from the minors who struggled his last two seasons in the big leagues. Tonight's the type of game the Sox need to win with the pitching matchup in their favor. The Twins are hitting the ball well now, but the junk that the Sox pitchers were throwing had a lot to do with their HR outburst last night. Danks should be able to quiet their bats.

Danks is hit or miss against the Twins. I'm not going to be overconfident. Could be a slug fest.

Edited by BigSqwert