Game Thread 8/10: MIN v CWS, 7:10pm

So Carlos Quentin hits a bad stretch and he gets dropped to 7th.

Kotsay's sucked all year and he still bats 6th regularly.

I think it's fair to say that Kotsay must be letting Ozzie do naughty things with his wife.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
So Carlos Quentin hits a bad stretch and he gets dropped to 7th.

Kotsay's sucked all year and he still bats 6th regularly.

I think it's fair to say that Kotsay must be letting Ozzie do naughty things with his wife.

Kotsay's fragile emotional state can't take being demoted. He might do something like break his wrist on the bat, for crying out loud.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
AJ has been horrible against the Twins in his career. .260/.288/.639, 4 HR, 21 RBI in 328 abs. Also, while his BA against Baker is good, he hasn't hit for any power whatsoever and he hasn't taken a walk against Baker so he really hasn't been that productive against him.

That's weird, I thought he was better than that against MIN. Looks like he was awful against them last year, good in 2008. You also have a strange definition of "horrible" in the world of splits.

In any case, I'd rather he play than Castro against Baker. The idea isn't that he's necessarily better than Castro on a split, so much as how he splits in all three games. Baker he hits, Liriano he's awful against - and Castro hits LH really well. Therefore, to me, it makes a lot more sense to play Castro in the Liriano game than this one.

To be fair, Kotsay has had a good 7 or 8 past games. I'd rather he not be on the team altogether (where is Mark Teahen? - he was supposed to be back for the homestand), but Quentin is struggling and Kotsay has had a good week. And we all know Oz loves the lefty bat breaking up the string of righties.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)
That's weird, I thought he was better than that against MIN. Looks like he was awful against them last year, good in 2008. You also have a strange definition of "horrible" in the world of splits.

How much worse would he have to be against the twins to be considered horrible? That 's a pretty damn empty .260.

Would you agree pierzynski has been horrible at the plate this season? His career against the twins and this very season are pretty damn similar. Whether you agree or not, he has been horrible, with seemingly no sign of turning it around.

QUOTE (qwerty @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 04:01 PM)
How much worse would he have to be against the twins to be considered horrible? That 's a pretty damn empty .260.

Would you agree pierzynski has been horrible at the plate this season? His career against the twins and this very season are pretty damn similar. Whether you agree or not, he has been horrible, with seemingly no sign of turning it around.

There is a difference between horrible on a full year - and AJ has been damn near that - and horrible in a team split. Look at any player, including AJ, and you see team splits all over the board. AJ for example shows an OPS of .578 against TOR, lower against ATL. He is in the .800's or above against 8 or so teams. When I think "horrible" in a small sample size split, I think like .400 OPS or something.

But whatever, its terminology.

Are you telling me it makes more sense to sit him against Baker than Liriano?

QUOTE (Chisoxfaninminny @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 04:59 PM)
whats the feeling from the chicago perspective. Most twins fans are predicting twins win at least 2 outta 3. They arent throwing out great pitchers, what is the chicago take on the 3 games

The Sox have D1 and G on the mound for Games 2 and 3. D1 has been great occasionally against the Twins but struggled more often. Garcia has been steady as a rock.

This is a good matchup of 2 solid teams...only 1 of which has been hot with the bats of late though. The Sox bats need to pick it up at home...they do that and they've got a shot.

QUOTE (Chisoxfaninminny @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
HEY SOX fans. Im living in here in minnesota. New twins fan site that some of my buddies run. Clubtwins.com. They want to talk some smack. Im being too nice i guess. If you want to come and talk to some fairly knowledgeable twinks fans this is a good developing site.

Hmmm... clubtwins.com sounds like something i might not want to try accessing from work.

Edited by wsgdf_2

QUOTE (Chisoxfaninminny @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 03:59 PM)
whats the feeling from the chicago perspective. Most twins fans are predicting twins win at least 2 outta 3. They arent throwing out great pitchers, what is the chicago take on the 3 games

The Chicago take is the Twins board their charter after the series in second place 3 games out of first.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
There is a difference between horrible on a full year - and AJ has been damn near that - and horrible in a team split. Look at any player, including AJ, and you see team splits all over the board. AJ for example shows an OPS of .578 against TOR, lower against ATL. He is in the .800's or above against 8 or so teams. When I think "horrible" in a small sample size split, I think like .400 OPS or something.

But whatever, its terminology.

Are you telling me it makes more sense to sit him against Baker than Liriano?

Four of those teams he has had less than 51 plate appearances, which is indeed a small sample size. With so few plate appearances (small sample size) a small string of great or terrible games can change the entire picture. The 328 plate appearances he has against the twins no longer qualifies as a small sample size.

Ops in the .400's? That's abysmal.

I was in no way encouraging your last sentence.

QUOTE (Chisoxfaninminny @ Aug 10, 2010 -> 03:53 PM)
HEY SOX fans. Im living in here in minnesota. New twins fan site that some of my buddies run. Clubtwins.com. They want to talk some smack. Im being too nice i guess. If you want to come and talk to some fairly knowledgeable twinks fans this is a good developing site.

F**K THE TWINS!!!

GO YOU SOX!!! :headbang