Fishing Thread

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:18 PM)
You know, not all fishing is cast and reel...?

I assume for the guy who doesn't fish often, and is fishing off a pier, that would usually be the case. Possible he was using some combo of bobber and/or sinker, I don't know. But he specifically mentioned casting.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:58 AM)
I assume for the guy who doesn't fish often, and is fishing off a pier, that would usually be the case. Possible he was using some combo of bobber and/or sinker, I don't know. But he specifically mentioned casting.

Just giving you s***. I just get really angry that people don't know there are so many more ways of fishing than just bobber floats or cast & reel. It annoys me when I see bobbers on choppy lakers or fast moving rivers.

I took my 5 and 7 year old boys fishing yesterday at Maple Lake in Willow Springs. They insisted we get a boat and row to the middle. After an hour of that futile torture, we went back to the short and caught/released a bunch of blue gill before my 5 year old and I decided to dig in into the cooler and eat.

The oldest wanted to try baiting the hook and casting the line by himself. Neither of the other two of us was paying attention when all of a sudden he starts yelling for help reeling in a fish. Turn out to be a 14" widemouth bass. He was the talk of the lake despite his dad not knowing crap about fishing. Lots of fun.

QUOTE (Pants Rowland @ Aug 20, 2010 -> 01:55 PM)
I took my 5 and 7 year old boys fishing yesterday at Maple Lake in Willow Springs. They insisted we get a boat and row to the middle. After an hour of that futile torture, we went back to the short and caught/released a bunch of blue gill before my 5 year old and I decided to dig in into the cooler and eat.

The oldest wanted to try baiting the hook and casting the line by himself. Neither of the other two of us was paying attention when all of a sudden he starts yelling for help reeling in a fish. Turn out to be a 14" widemouth bass. He was the talk of the lake despite his dad not knowing crap about fishing. Lots of fun.

Stop rubbing your kid's accomplishment in my face, jerk.

Besides, I bet I can beat him up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Oct 25, 2010 -> 02:38 AM)
Anyone fish Western Michigan at all? I'm going to try to get out there before everything freezes for some late catfish. Looking at some areas on the Grand and St. Joseph rivers.

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/MASTERANGLER/Ma...BKey=06S17W1802

I'd guess between Berrien Springs and St. Joseph.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (SAVVY18 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 10:28 PM)
When I can get out, I'm primarily a Musky guy now. I have a 1995 16ft aluminum Spectrum fishing boat with a 40hp Force on it. My home lake is the Fox Chain. I grew up as a Bass kid/guy, but outgrew that when I got my first Musky. Been targeting them ever since. Not much luck, but it's about the hunt and being on the water.

I used to fish Lake Michigan with my wife's uncle, but he had a stroke and the boat hasn't been in since. We're hoping he gets it in next year. Biggest out there was a 25Lb Salmon and a 17lb Lake Trout. I had another 25# Salmon to the net, but my net man screwed it up and we lost her. What a fight.

I would like to take a trip to Northern Wisco, but never get around to it. Too much going on, I guess.

I'll take the kids out to the local lakes/ponds and cast for Bass.

Musky were just getting to legal size when I moved. I would launch out off of Grass Lake Road at Smitty's I think it was. Some great back bays and channels for bass on the way north for some musky action. My favorite musky, and the smallest I ever caught, was off Pistakee Lake while crappie fishing in the spring just after ice out. With two pound test and an ultralight 5' road, I landed a five pound musky. I was laughing the whole time.

Anyone know if Angler's Unlimited is still running tournaments on the chain? My buddy Jim Woj and I fished a bunch of theirs. And the Channel Lake ice fishing tournaments.