Attempt to cheer up White Sox Nation

Jimbo's Drinker

Good attempt to cheer us up. Thanks.

However losing to the Twins is growing very very old and combined with 102 degree temperatures all week in KC, it didn't work.

This might not be the right thread, but I was thinking about this ... do you think us winning the WS combined with the fact we are the biggest and best city in our division, that teams in our putrid division always are "fired up" when they play us? I think we underestimate how hated the White Sox are in our own division.

We're the hunted despite the fact the Twins arguably have ruled this division for some time. It baffles me how the Sox never turn it up a notch in arguably the most important games of the year -- ones in our own division.

Think about it .. KC regularly throws at our hitters; the Twins own us; Cleveland always holds its own against us and this year has ruled us. We've been OK versus Detroit. My point is that we possibly do not want to beat teams in our own division as badly as they want to kick our ass because we are ... Chicago, by far the best city of all cities in the division and team with the big prize (WS crown). Hope my point made sense.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 06:50 AM)
You know what would cheer me up? A serious ass whuppin put on the twins tonight in our ballpark in front of our fans, followed by another serious ass whuppin put on the twins Thursday night in our ballpark in front of our fans. That will get the job done.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 06:50 AM)
You know what would cheer me up? A serious ass whuppin put on the twins tonight in our ballpark in front of our fans, followed by another serious ass whuppin put on the twins Thursday night in our ballpark in front of our fans. That will get the job done.

'Nuff said.

IMO, if you need cheering up after losing a few games, I am proud of you that you just got into baseball this year. This is a sport of failure and the team is going to lose at least 60 games every year, its just part of a baseball season. We are still in this for the long run.

Anything is possible in baseball. We've seen it this year.

Of course, the ONE thing you don't want to see is a three game sweep by your rivals on your home field, where you just established such dominance for the last 2 months. (I think if the White Sox were swept at home and then still managed to come back and win the ALCD, then Ozzie would be justified in writing his book, getting a team up off the deck twice in one season like that would be pretty miraculous).

That said, with the way this season has gone, you can't count anybody out. We saw the same thing happen in 2008, the Twins (although it was in Minnesota) just demolished the White Sox psychologically, there was the infamous Jenks/Carlos Gomez debacle (to be compared to this year's Sunday No Out Massacre), your heart was torn out and ripped in two by the Twins at that point.

And yet we still came back to win.

I'm not saying the SAME thing will happen again, but there's no reason why it can't. Of course, Twins fans can say that they don't need Morneau to win (they won something like 16 of their last 21 without him last year and are seemingly fine again without his presence in the line-up), that their offensive depth and bullpen can make up for any deficiencies in the starting rotation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
Anything is possible in baseball. We've seen it this year.

Of course, the ONE thing you don't want to see is a three game sweep by your rivals on your home field, where you just established such dominance for the last 2 months. (I think if the White Sox were swept at home and then still managed to come back and win the ALCD, then Ozzie would be justified in writing his book, getting a team up off the deck twice in one season like that would be pretty miraculous).

That said, with the way this season has gone, you can't count anybody out. We saw the same thing happen in 2008, the Twins (although it was in Minnesota) just demolished the White Sox psychologically, there was the infamous Jenks/Carlos Gomez debacle (to be compared to this year's Sunday No Out Massacre), your heart was torn out and ripped in two by the Twins at that point.

And yet we still came back to win.

I'm not saying the SAME thing will happen again, but there's no reason why it can't. Of course, Twins fans can say that they don't need Morneau to win (they won something like 16 of their last 21 without him last year and are seemingly fine again without his presence in the line-up), that their offensive depth and bullpen can make up for any deficiencies in the starting rotation.

Anything is possible, but more often then not, those things don't happen. I know people are sick of the pessimism on here or in general, but there is also a difference between being realistic, and being optomistic or pessimistic. When it comes to the Sox and the Twins at this time of year, I'd prefer to mow them down instead of having to hold my breath for a miracle. Even if it happens "again", you want that kind of team over a team that just goes out and proves they're better? No thanks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 03:04 PM)
IMO, if you need cheering up after losing a few games, I am proud of you that you just got into baseball this year. This is a sport of failure and the team is going to lose at least 60 games every year, its just part of a baseball season. We are still in this for the long run.

Oh what a crock. Is there a sport you don't think you are the best fan of?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 02:04 PM)

There's a few cliches in that post by Rock, but I won't criticize him. I generally love his posts. He's not a ledge jumper.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)

:notworthy

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 09:04 AM)

Why do you always make your posts semi-personal like that?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
By insinuating that anyone who gets worried after a bad stretch doesn't know anything about the game.

In my opinion, yep. And if they are next to me at a bar or at a game, I'll ask them how their first season is going.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
In my opinion, yep. And if they are next to me at a bar or at a game, I'll ask them how their first season is going.

You are so much better. Man, any hawks fan that feels their stomach drop when the other teams score, not a fan. When the white sox lose to drop out of first place, if you feel emotion, not a fan. You are ridiculous, you are not that great. Nobody gives a s*** if you think you know the right way to cheer for a team, because for a lot of people it's different. It doesn't make it their first year cheering for the team. Everyone knows baseball teams lose games. But it doesn't mean that losing to a team in august in a first place battle isn't painful. And it doesn't mean you are a better fan. It just means you think a lot of yourself.

I think there are definitely two generations mostly reflected here at SoxTalk.

The ones who are mostly in their early to mid 20's, college students or recent graduates...and then those that grew up and actually remember White Sox baseball in the 1990's, 80's and even the 1970's, especially in Old Comiskey Park.

I would guess those younger fans (unlike myself) tend to be a bit more confident and optimistic, perhaps a bit less patient, having witnessed perhaps the most successful generation of Sox baseball, certainly since the 1950's and probably all the way back to the teen's and aught's.

Having suffered through so much disappointment, it's a bit easier to become cynical and jaded about Sox baseball. Heck, the same feeling pervades many posters (and I'll admit to being a big obsessed with beating the Twins) in their lack of belief in this current team being able to overcome the Twins. Actually, it's not just me. There's a reason (besides the heat) that none of the three games against the Twins were close to being sell-outs. I really think that much of the fanbase believes that June/July was a mirage and that the team will fade down the stretch. EVERYONE in baseball (and probably half of outer space if aliens are tuned into message boards) knows that the White Sox are at least one hitter short.

It's ironic, because in 2003 and perhaps part of 2010, there has been the belief that the White Sox had the pitching to compete with any team in baseball...accompanied by the belief that something was missing in terms of a hitter (or team chemistry and managing in the case of Manuel), etc. Actually, I would also just throw out a number of 25-33% who really question Ozzie's ability to lead this baseball team, doubts that have become progressively larger over the last five years (although interestingly, I don't think the doubters will be quieted by the "miracle" comeback into contention and first place this season).

I'm not sure what would be worse, actually, being a White Sox fan and believing your team will lose to the Twins again, or being a Twins' fan and believing your team will make the playoffs and lose in the first round (which has happened on 4/5 occasions this decade, with the lone exception being a defeat of the A's, an even smaller market team). I suppose they can always rejoice in 1987 and 1991, but "modern" Twins' fans in their teen and twenties don't have those memories to fall back on for comfort.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 09:42 AM)
I'm not sure what would be worse, actually, being a White Sox fan and believing your team will lose to the Twins again, or being a Twins' fan and believing your team will make the playoffs and lose in the first round (which has happened on 4/5 occasions this decade, with the lone exception being a defeat of the A's, an even smaller market team). I suppose they can always rejoice in 1987 and 1991, but "modern" Twins' fans in their teen and twenties don't have those memories to fall back on for comfort.

I don't get where this whole recent "can't beat the Twins" mentality comes from. Yeah, when they played in the Metrodome, it seemed like something bad would happen, but 2006 was the only season where the Sox got beat by them for the division in the past five years. In 2007 & 2009, the Sox had bad teams that just weren't good enough for a division crown, it had nothing to do with the Twins. In 2008, obviously, they fought to the death and the Sox came out on top. I guess 2003 & 2004 may have an effect on the thinking but those years are long gone.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 10:39 AM)
I don't get where this whole recent "can't beat the Twins" mentality comes from. Yeah, when they played in the Metrodome, it seemed like something bad would happen, but 2006 was the only season where the Sox got beat by them for the division in the past five years. In 2007 & 2009, the Sox had bad teams that just weren't good enough for a division crown, it had nothing to do with the Twins. In 2008, obviously, they fought to the death and the Sox came out on top. I guess 2003 & 2004 may have an effect on the thinking but those years are long gone.

It doesn't help the team that our skipper has a hard on for the Twins. I'm getting a little tired of him praising them. Could you imagine how people would treat Lovie if he kept saying how awesome the Packers are?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 11:43 AM)
It doesn't help the team that our skipper has a hard on for the Twins. I'm getting a little tired of him praising them. Could you imagine how people would treat Lovie if he kept saying how awesome the Packers are?

If he was keeping his promise to regularly beat them and win divisions...I doubt anyone would give a crap.