Attempt to cheer up White Sox Nation

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 02:16 AM)
You are so much better. Man, any hawks fan that feels their stomach drop when the other teams score, not a fan. When the white sox lose to drop out of first place, if you feel emotion, not a fan. You are ridiculous, you are not that great. Nobody gives a s*** if you think you know the right way to cheer for a team, because for a lot of people it's different. It doesn't make it their first year cheering for the team. Everyone knows baseball teams lose games. But it doesn't mean that losing to a team in august in a first place battle isn't painful. And it doesn't mean you are a better fan. It just means you think a lot of yourself.

Nice rant. Not exactly relevant to my opinion or my posts, but I can understand that you apparently find something inherently wrong with the way I cheer for a team. Thats your opinion, which obviously doesnt line up with mine. See how there are two sides of the situation?

If you want me to respond to your post to tell you how I actually cheer for a team since that apparently is what direction you are taking this thread, here you go. I invest thousands of dollars a year in my favorite sports teams and I am financially and emotionally invested in those team's performance. I stick my neck out of them every year in the hope that we can experience the sheer joy of winning a championship. I honestly believe that the teams needs all sorts of fans from the hardcore (clearly us) and the fairweather, for the teams to succeed in the long run. IMO, the hardcore fans that actually know about the game and the team are personally more invested in the outcome and the actual roadmap of the franchise as a whole. These are the fans that usually know the baseball season is 162 and not one at bat, they know that one goal against their team is not the end all be all for the season. They and I get upset when those things occur, but we also know that the team will live to fight another day because we've been through multiple decades of seasons and we know failure is part of the overall lifespan of a sports franchise. These are the people I identify with. Do I think that these people are the best kinds of fans, absolutely with no doubt. Folks who have the dedication to focus on a team over the course of years with never wavering faith are the kind of people I think of as actual fans of a team. The dictionary defines sports fan as "and enthusiastic devotee of sports," I personally believe enthusiasm is a positive energy directed at a team for which you care about the most. The fans that leave, that give up, and that spend the majority of their time hating a team instead of rooting for them are not the type of people that I think of when I think of the true fans of a team. People who completely jump off the ship at the smallest sign of losing or failure are not the type of fan I identify with. If that comes off to you as arrogant, I am completely fine with that. I have no reservations in the way I cheer for my teams, and I wake up each day excited to see the outcome of the game that is on that night (or day), because after all, winning is the thing that drives my enthusiasm for sports.

Maybe you feel like negative energy is all part of being a fan of a team and investing yourself in the outcome, but to me, thats just wasted energy and I choose to not take part in it. If you think thats me thinking too much of myself, thats a flaw that I can live with.

I can be negative at times, but I hope to think I am also the type of fan Rock writes about.

Great piece, Rock!

I don't see how anybody can attack that last post of Rock. It was beautifully done.

Perfect ending. ...

"Maybe you feel like negative energy is all part of being a fan of a team and investing yourself in the outcome, but to me, thats just wasted energy and I choose to not take part in it. If you think thats me thinking too much of myself, thats a flaw that I can live with."

Game, set match to Rock.

Edited by greg775

Here is where I get my attitude...

Reality

The reality of our situation is that we are one game out and that we do have the potential to get into the playoffs.

We also have the potential to do well in the playoffs.

Just watching white sox baseball with those possibilities in mind - makes me a happy camper.

However, any tome we lose - I get muy pissed. :)