What would be the most annoying to Sox fans?

caulfield12

How can KW make the fans angriest?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would be most gut-wrenching...

• Thome hits a walk-off homer against Sox in third consecutive ALCD Game 163
    • Mark Buehrle wins a World Series ring with another AL team (Yankees/Red Sox)
    • Konerko leads another ALCD team to pennant over Sox in future
    • Joe Crede already hurt my heart last year playing for the Twins
    • AJ goes back to the Twins and they beat the Sox
    • I was done with the White Sox when they traded my beloved Aaron Rowand
    • We realize the Dome Jinx hasn't gone away and we could be doomed to lose over and over again to another generation of Piranhas, who continue to get knocked out in the first round of the playoffs

Since I'm in a mood for self-pity today...thinking of, well, it could be worse scenarios.

AND FOR THE RECORD, not bringing back Thome was FINE, it's just that we didn't adequately replace him or have a back-up plan in place better than the one that's haunted us for most of the season and become the biggest broken record since the "Brian Anderson is a burgeoning superstar who is being held back by Ozzie's unfair and mean-spirited vendetta" conspiracy theory.

I should have added a couple more possibilities....of Guillen and/or Kenny Williams being part of organizations that beat the Sox in the future.

Edited by knightni

I thought this was going to a poll about whether it would hurt more to lose the division by 1 game or 6 games. But, I do like the choices. I voted for the last one, even though we all seem to know that the dome wasn't the real cause for the Sox to play so badly against the Twins.

Watching Jim Thome put up a .972 OPS for the Twins because we couldn't promise him enough at bats, while watching his primary replacement get what will likely end up being about 350 at bats and put up an OPS about .3 lower is going to be hard to top on the annoying list. I think the topper would be if we finish only 1-3 game out of first, since such a scenario means we can put losing the division almost directly on that idiotic decision. It may be a broken record, but it's true. And the reason it's a broken record is even all of us idiots around here could see that one would be disasterous.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 09:37 AM)
Watching Jim Thome put up a .972 OPS for the Twins because we couldn't promise him enough at bats, while watching his replacement get probably more than 350 at bats and put up an OPS about .3 lower is going to be hard to top on the annoying list. I think the topper would be if we finish only 1-3 game out of first, since such a scenario means we can put losing the division almost directly on that idiotic decision.

That's what I've been thinking. If the Sox lose the divsion by 6 games or more we can shake our heads and say the team wasn't good enough. But if they lose it by 1 game or so, we can easily pin enough loses on the lack of a real DH to have made the difference.

None of the above?

It turns out now is the era of free agency and what not and players very rarely stay with the same team their entire career. Its bound happen that they end up on another team and have a big moment or two.

Secondly, if the Sox are gonna lose, I would rather it be Thome, Buerhle, or Konerko, guys I like, making the big play, instead of getting beat by a d-bag like Pettite, A-Rod, Youkilis, etc.

That being said, how is Nick Swisher not on this list? Losing in the ALCS on a walk-off homer by Dirty 30 would piss me off way more than losing to a guy I enjoyed watching play for many years.

Good God I'm sick of hearing about Jim Thome. I hope he retires at the end of the season.

That being said, how is Nick Swisher not on this list? Losing in the ALCS on a walk-off homer by Dirty 30 would piss me off way more than losing to a guy I enjoyed watching play for many years.

I would go insane.

I too feel like if we're going to lose the AL Central crown, I wanna lose big... like by about 8 or 9 games. I would be sick to my stomach thinking about losing to the twins by 1 or 2 freaking games. That would be a long cold winter and I'm not a football or basketball fan.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
None of the above?

It turns out now is the era of free agency and what not and players very rarely stay with the same team their entire career. Its bound happen that they end up on another team and have a big moment or two.

Secondly, if the Sox are gonna lose, I would rather it be Thome, Buerhle, or Konerko, guys I like, making the big play, instead of getting beat by a d-bag like Pettite, A-Rod, Youkilis, etc.

I don't know if I would qualify Swisher beating us as "gut wrenching," that's more of the "irritating/annoying/p$$$ing off" category to me.

Orlando Cabrera was vilified by many, yet his winning the ALCD with the Twins last year hardly registered as a blip on the radar, and that was largely or likely because we were sort of dead in the water coming down the stretch and there weren't really any huge "make or break" games with the Twins in August/September like in years past.

Past excuses:

1) Metrodome

2) Santana, Liriano and Radke just pitched "a whale of a ballgame," they're bulldogs/competitors, blah blah blah

3) Carlos Gomez

4) Piranhas

5) Air conditioning/vents

6) The Twins just "want it more" and are hungrier

7) Small market team that was almost eliminated from MLB against big city boys

8) Gardenhire is better manager, Ryan is better GM

9) Twins are faster, play better defense, don't make mistakes, strong fundamentally, let their opponents beat themselves

10) Torii Hunter robbed us

11) LeCroy, Hocking, Lew Ford, Shannon Stewart, Jacque Jones, Mientkiewicz, Koskie, Blanco, Redmond, Bobby Kielty, etc., somehow beat us.

Now the Twins have almost an equal payroll, their new stadium, higher revenues, definitely more star or superstar offensive players (Mauer, Young and Morneau, with Kubel/Cuddyer/Thome not far behind)...so what's the new excuse? That the White Sox are actually underestimated and are the real underdogs instead? Media bias slurping the Twins for their perceived "greatness"?

Ozzie Guillen will have his own movie, "Despicable Me II" if the White Sox lose this thing by one game.

(Yes, I know, I know, it will be because of the starting pitching not carrying us and NOT because of Mark Kotsay. With that said, I dare the White Sox to bing back Kotsay/Jones as the DH combination if they lose to the Twins again this year).

QUOTE (D_B_U @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 10:29 AM)
I doubt that AJ would ever go back to the Twins. He hates them.

As a twinkies fan(promise i wont spam this board) I was surprised Thome signed with us.

He really didn't have many realistic options. He had to stay in the AL, and there wasn't very much certainty about what Delmon Young was going to produce or whether he would make it through the entire offseason and full 2010 schedule with the Twins.

Not trading him...along with picking up Thome and Hudson, getting Pavano off the scrap heap last year, those were the smartest moves that Bill Smith ever made, and he's made quite a few bad ones (Lamb, Livan Hernandez, Everett) in the last couple of years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 10:05 AM)
I don't know if I would qualify Swisher beating us as "gut wrenching," that's more of the "irritating/annoying/p$$$ing off" category to me.

Orlando Cabrera was vilified by many, yet his winning the ALCD with the Twins last year hardly registered as a blip on the radar, and that was largely or likely because we were sort of dead in the water coming down the stretch and there weren't really any huge "make or break" games with the Twins in August/September like in years past.

I guess I don't get exactly what you are asking, but whatever.

Cabrera was vilified, but Swisher was much different I think. His personality alone made people upset about the whole situation and people won't forget him. Also, some high prospects were traded for him, so the expectations were higher for him in a Sox uniform as well. Cabrera was disliked but he was very easily forgotten.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 11, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)
That's what I've been thinking. If the Sox lose the divsion by 6 games or more we can shake our heads and say the team wasn't good enough. But if they lose it by 1 game or so, we can easily pin enough loses on the lack of a real DH to have made the difference.

Wow. If we lose the division by one, I thought the reason was Bobby Jenks blowing 2 saves in that one week including one to the Twinks, which apparently was the turning point of the season.

I think whether we win or lose the division, the team needs to make some significant moves again for next year.

Any chance we could trade Pierre? He's done OK but I feel for season tix holders who have to watch a whole season of him.

Apparently Bobby has hit the brick wall closers hit and is about done, so we need a closer. We need power from the DH. Paulie's defense will remain great, but at some point age will click in. Looks like AJ may have aged to the point he's no longer a solid hitter.

If we lose the division by one ... is the real reason no JAKE PEAVY?

What's with all the negativity? The Twins are not all that. Their ballpark is not working out so great for them. Wait untill the weather cools down and and the ball really goes no where in Minnesota. Their pitching is inconsistent ( except Pavano ) and only so so . They fear us as much or more than we fear them. They are a good team but not unbeatable.

QUOTE (since56 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 07:15 AM)
What's with all the negativity? The Twins are not all that. Their ballpark is not working out so great for them. Wait untill the weather cools down and and the ball really goes no where in Minnesota. Their pitching is inconsistent ( except Pavano ) and only so so . They fear us as much or more than we fear them. They are a good team but not unbeatable.

Didn't you see what happened on Tuesday night?? The Twins clinched the division because they have Jim Thome and the Sox don't. The 48 games left in the season don't matter, neither does the fact that the Sox have 4 other starters better than Freddy Garcia.

The most annoying thing is the whole "Kotsay Sucks, Ozzie Sucks, Thome's great" posts. Even if they are true so what? If I could turn back the clock it wouldm't be to the dealings of the latest off season. I would go back and bring the Big Hurt in his prime and put him on this team. That would fix a lot of things.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 06:36 AM)
Didn't you see what happened on Tuesday night?? The Twins clinched the division because they have Jim Thome and the Sox don't. The 48 games left in the season don't matter, neither does the fact that the Sox have 4 other starters better than Freddy Garcia.

Next year's staff has a chance to be impressive. Despite Freddy's quick spiral down, he got wins in the beginning when the so called studs were duds.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 05:56 AM)
Next year's staff has a chance to be impressive. Despite Freddy's quick spiral down, he got wins in the beginning when the so called studs were duds.

Well, if the rotation is Peavy, Buehrle, Danks, Jackson, and Floyd, they better win a lot of games 2-1 because that's a ton of money that will be locked up with our rotation with money being needed to fill holes at 1B (if PK leaves), DH, C.