Teahan rehab could be great for the sox

Bubba Philips

Teahans current minor league numbers don't look like anything like what he did this year while up with the whitesox. Currently it looks like he's going to be a singles hitter with little power. Good ratio of strikeouts to walks , no home runs one double. Perhaps he's being groomed as our future #2 hitter in the lineup. I believe th power numbers could improve later. Teahan's if his on base % and walks over strikeouts continue with the big club his return could be a difference maker for the sox.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:51 AM)
Teahans current minor league numbers don't look like anything like what he did this year while up with the whitesox. Currently it looks like he's going to be a singles hitter with little power. Good ratio of strikeouts to walks , no home runs one double. Perhaps he's being groomed as our future #2 hitter in the lineup. I believe th power numbers could improve later. Teahan's if his on base % and walks over strikeouts continue with the big club his return could be a difference maker for the sox.

He was exactly that before he got hurt.

The only way he serves the White Sox as any type of "value" in the line-up is playing RF/DH/1B and hitting at LEAST a 775 OPS clip, that's a minimum number.

To do that, he's got to walk a ton, hit a LOT of doubles and 15-18 homers.

That's a tall task, considering he's only done it once for about 4 months of a season, not even a full/complete year. And that's ONCE in his entire big league history.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
The only way he serves the White Sox as any type of "value" in the line-up is playing RF/DH/1B and hitting at LEAST a 775 OPS clip, that's a minimum number.

To do that, he's got to walk a ton, hit a LOT of doubles and 15-18 homers.

That's a tall task, considering he's only done it once for about 4 months of a season, not even a full/complete year. And that's ONCE in his entire big league history.

Against RHP in his career he has a .769 OPS. Against LHP though it's only .700. And his splits this year are insane....800 OPS against RHP, .366 OPS against LHP.

So the best argument for Teahen is half of a DH/1B platoon with Viciedo next year.

The problem with that is Viciedo's never going to learn how to be a big league hitter playing 1-3 games per week. In the last 10 days, the scouting reports have caught up with him and it's very hard to adjust as a part-time player.

I really don't want to see Teahen in the OF either, although he would be a SLIGHT improvement over Quentin, it would definitely not be strengthening our OF defense compared to using Andruw Jones out there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 02:17 PM)
So the best argument for Teahen is half of a DH/1B platoon with Viciedo next year.

The problem with that is Viciedo's never going to learn how to be a big league hitter playing 1-3 games per week. In the last 10 days, the scouting reports have caught up with him and it's very hard to adjust as a part-time player.

I really don't want to see Teahen in the OF either, although he would be a SLIGHT improvement over Quentin, it would definitely not be strengthening our OF defense compared to using Andruw Jones out there.

If we want to use this rotating DH setup next year with a similar roster makeup, bringing back Vizquel, Konerko, and Jones, along with Viciedo, Quentin, and Teahen as pieces to do it...that's potentially a very effective way to pull it off.

I'm others have figured this out, cause I'm slow as hell, but they're just gonna keep Teahen in AAA under the guise of getting him reps at multiple positions so he can be super utility, when in reality they are waiting until Sept. 1st to call him up when rosters expand and wont have to deal with explaining how Kotsay gets to stay on the team....

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 02:40 PM)
I'm others have figured this out, cause I'm slow as hell, but they're just gonna keep Teahen in AAA under the guise of getting him reps at multiple positions so he can be super utility, when in reality they are waiting until Sept. 1st to call him up when rosters expand and wont have to deal with explaining how Kotsay gets to stay on the team....

They can't do that unless someone else goes on the DL. Teahen's rehab assignment has to end on about the 19th (If the date NSS quoted yesterday is accurate).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Teahen's been gone long enough that people forgot how bad he was defensively. He's not the answer to anything but very limited duty.

Most are hoping he just replaces Kotsay as part time DH. We shall see what Ozzie actually does.

Part time DH might be OK but I'm of the opinion Oz will ride Kotsay all the way to the finish line this year. When he played him both ends of the DH and again the next day I got over it. He's playing against all righties all the time and maybe a lefty or two, as well, if Jones is hurt. It's easier to just accept it, for me at least. I don't know what he's going to do with Teahen. Probably move him back to third which would bring us back to the April/May White Sox.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
You can't tell me that swapping in Teahen for Kotsay at DH, and batting him 9th wouldn't be a huge upgrade for this roster.

He's not taking Kotsay's spot at DH. That is the point. He is coming back as a super-utility guy. If he was coming back to DH, he wouldn't be playing in the field at Charlotte, he would be here DHing.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 12:26 PM)
I think he will DH and play the field. There's really no excuse not to have him in there against RH's. Against righties we'll see both Teahen and Kotsay in there more often than not.

A lineup with Kotsay and Teahen in it? Ugh. How the hell are we a contender this year.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
It's pretty good but not great IMO. Just look at our division or league record this year.

I intentionally didn't use the word "great". I said "pretty darn good". Or I could say, "maybe enough to win the division". If we can do that, its all up for grabs, and our pitching should do well.

But dammit, I would hate it if the team fell just short of the post-season, because I can't help but put most of the blame on KW/Ozzie for the DH disaster.

In a sick sort of way, atleast the Sox know what they did wrong if they lose this division by 1-2 games. There won't be a myriad of reasons as there were in 2006 - it will be because Mark Kotsay was the DH for the White Sox and Jim Thome was playing for the Twins.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)
In a sick sort of way, atleast the Sox know what they did wrong if they lose this division by 1-2 games. There won't be a myriad of reasons as there were in 2006 - it will be because Mark Kotsay was the DH for the White Sox and Jim Thome was playing for the Twins.

Just don't tell that to Rongey.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 01:14 PM)

Well that and we couldn't actually beat the team in front of us.