What moves have come back to bite Kenny?

shipps

I need a refresher on what prospects Kenny has traded away in the past that have come back to bite him. I know I seen Carter was making a pretty big debut for Oakland the other day. I believe he was a past KW prospect traded away IIRC.

Who do you think is going to be the guys that we are really going to hold against KW for trading away.

Discuss. ;)

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traded away?

Chris Young for Javy Vazquez.

Gio Gonzalez for Nick Swisher

Nick Swisher for Marquez, Nunez, and Betemit.

Josh Fogg and Kip Wells for Todd Ritchie

Keith Foulke for Billy Koch and Neal Cotts (although the latter worked pretty well).

Also on the list you can add guys like Rauch, Aardsma, Majewski, and Javier Lopez who have come back to be non-terrible or even pretty darn good in other teams's bullpens...but those are harder to criticize.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 10:03 AM)
Also on the list you can add guys like Rauch, Aardsma, Majewski, and Javier Lopez who have come back to be non-terrible or even pretty darn good in other teams's bullpens...but those are harder to criticize.

Wow, Gary Majewski? Really? One solid season as a middle reliever, maybe a second average season?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 10:08 AM)
I went with as detailed as I could get.

Gotcha. And you did say non-terrible, which he was in Washington. After those seasons though, terrible, terrible pitcher.

LOL, he actually made it back to the majors this season with HOU. Pitched one scoreless inning at Wrigley, then the next day he let a 9-7 deficit become a 14-7 blowout and was never heard from again.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 08:03 AM)

Not sure that I agree with this. This is the first year that Young has posted an OPS+ anywhere near 100, and we needed a starting pitcher a lot more than a CF back in 2006.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
Not sure that I agree with this. This is the first year that Young has posted an OPS+ anywhere near 100, and we needed a starting pitcher a lot more than a CF back in 2006.

In terms of coming back to bite us though...we spent a ton of money on Vazquez, CF was a killer hole for 3+ years (Dewayne Wise as leadoff) that we gave up other guys trying to fill...and now we spent a ton of money to get the CF slot filled. The Sox also had McCarthy at least available in 2006.

You can argue either way, Vazquez was at least decent for the Sox in the 2008 season and he was also traded for a guy or two who could be seriously useful in the future...but you have to at least put that one on the list for the ramifications.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
The Peavy trade has to be on this list, and I'll own that I was wrong in supporting it.

I wouldn't say that yet. Peavy still has a few years left on his contract and its not like you could have predicted his muscle was gonna just rip off. Clayton Richard has been solid for SD, but he is pitching in the NL's best pitchers park, so it doesn't mean he would pitch that well if he was still here. No one else in that trade has done anything special yet.

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (The Baconator @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
Daniel Hudson is 3-0 with a 1.59 ERA with AZ.

and Edwin Jackson has allowed 1 ER in 13 IPs, and one of the unearned the Sox basically gave the Os 5 outs in the inning, during a pennant race while Hudson didn't do very well in his short opportunity.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:03 AM)
Traded away?

Gio Gonzalez for Nick Swisher

Nick Swisher for Marquez, Nunez, and Betemit.

Josh Fogg and Kip Wells for Todd Ritchie

Keith Foulke for Billy Koch and Neal Cotts (although the latter worked pretty well).

This list is quite the argument for just how damn GOOD KW has been overall regarding trades. Farm system, not so much.

The only moves that I personally regret are the Swisher moves, and there were circumstances in those trades beyond performance.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
In terms of coming back to bite us though...we spent a ton of money on Vazquez, CF was a killer hole for 3+ years (Dewayne Wise as leadoff) that we gave up other guys trying to fill...and now we spent a ton of money to get the CF slot filled. The Sox also had McCarthy at least available in 2006.

You can argue either way, Vazquez was at least decent for the Sox in the 2008 season and he was also traded for a guy or two who could be seriously useful in the future...but you have to at least put that one on the list for the ramifications.

In 2006, 2007, and 2009, CF was the least of our problems.

In terms of money, I agree that we got the short end of the stick. (Though getting Rios in the end may have been a blessing in disguise.)

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 11:36 AM)
This list is quite the argument for just how damn GOOD KW has been overall regarding trades. Farm system, not so much.

That's the true question. Has KW done a good job of not giving up top prospects or has our farm system just been so bad that there haven't really been any top prospects fow KW to give away?

Wasn't the Ritchie trade pre-Kenny?

Also, Hudson just moved to a more pitcher-friendly league and they haven't seen him before. Remember the end of last year...he pitched pretty well for us, too. Let him go 'round once and see what happens after that.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
That's the true question. Has KW done a good job of not giving up top prospects or has our farm system just been so bad that there haven't really been any top prospects fow KW to give away?

The point is that he's acquired good-to-great players like Garcia, Danks, Floyd, and Quentin for players who weren't great prospects or who are only now beginning to contribute positively.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
the swisher deal is the one that bothers me the most probably. i really liked gio and carter.

Carter was not in the Swisher deal, that was Gio and Fautino De Los Santos, and Ryan Sweeney. Carter was traded straight up for Quentin. Carter was then dealt to Oakland as part of the Dan Haren deal.

Carter could absolutely rake in the big leagues and I'd still defend that deal, since it single handedly got us a playoff birth.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
Carter was not in the Swisher deal, that was Gio and Fautino De Los Santos, and Ryan Sweeney. Carter was traded straight up for Quentin. Carter was then dealt to Oakland as part of the Dan Haren deal.

Carter could absolutely rake in the big leagues and I'd still defend that deal, since it single handedly got us a playoff birth.

thanks. i got sweeney confused with carter.

the swisher deal still is the one i don't like.

hard to argue with the price we paid to get quentin.