8/12 White Sox vs Twins

Chisoxfn

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:52 PM)
Don't discredit how good of a job the Twins do at throwing our hitters offspeed pitches when they get 2 strikes on them. It seems simple enough, but you rarely see the Twins make 2 strikes mistakes to our hitters.

They scout our team and know it better than we do. They pump in a ton of breaking pitches, in fact its so odd that our team hasn't figured this out in all of the years we have played them. If they just looked breaking pitch first in these situations they would have a better chance. However our guys go up their swinging for the fastball they never happens.

Twins will sweep us in Minny and that'll be the beginning of the end IMO.

Flame away

Real, I am not going to flame ya at all man. The Twinkies just play better baseball with RISP and it is the same damn tired excuse we have whined about now for 2 years. When our bats can't hit a lick you can hear the crickets chirp, just that simple. And they don't even have Morneau back yet and are really taking it to us. They are pretty much set offensively from top to bottom. When we had the chance to build a cushion against bottom dwellers (Specifically early in the season when Cleveland owned us and that terrible series against the O's) we failed and Jenks really blew some crucial leads on that last roadtrip. And yeah another thing that people mention and is a huge factor is the fact that Ozzie constantly gets outmanaged in game situations because he is so hard headed.

Prognosis: While we may have a better overall starting rotation and pen I don't us winning the division with this offense and our constant failures with RISP or even nights when we just can't hit a lick. I haven't even mentioned this DH disaster this season has been. Our wildcard chances are practically 0 because of the AL East. Wish I could be more optimistic.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:55 PM)
They scout our team and know it better than we do. They pump in a ton of breaking pitches, in fact its so odd that our team hasn't figured this out in all of the years we have played them. If they just looked breaking pitch first in these situations they would have a better chance. However our guys go up their swinging for the fastball they never happens.

agreed....to their credit, they place a tremendous emphasis on being able to throw any pitch in any count for a strike (or for a ball for that matter)...its how they get by competing every year, with new young pitchers who frankly dont have the most talent (obviously not the case for guys like santana and liriano though)

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 02:57 AM)
i really shouldn't be as mad as i am....this twins teams is simply better than we are...thats something i've known all year

There's no denying that the Twins talent is far superior to that of the Sox. I still believe they have the third most talented lineup in baseball after the Yankees and Phillies (when healthy).

its a damn shame guys who are paid millions and millions to perform relatively light athletic work cant keep their bodies in top shape....just imagine if you went to a doctor or lawyer who completely half assed his preparation and relied solely on his or her talent

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 12, 2010 -> 09:57 PM)
i really shouldn't be as mad as i am....this twins teams is simply better than we are...thats something i've known all year

The reason that you are mad is why I am mad. If we came in here and played relatively mistake free baseball and lost, then sure. Disapointing. But that however is not the case with the post-ASB matches against the twins. We work and find new inventive ways to f*** up. Kicking the ball and having multiple situations where you can get a run only to see the ball not leave the infield. That to me is the definition of "death by 1000 paper cuts". I don't tip my cap to Liriano tonight. He is a great pitcher. We had more of a hand in the result than Liriano having a great game.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 03:03 AM)
Leavin game now... We freakin sucked, and why were there so many douchey twin fans around me

If the Sox had converted any of those bases loaded situations, you wouldn't have heard a peep from them.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 03:04 AM)
I guess their average is pretty decent hitting after 2 outs.

The one thing that bothers me is how we pitch away, away to the Twins. Why not duplicate Danks? He busted their asses in the whole damn game and poof, they scored only one run. Hawk said this Tuesday and the Sox only listened once.

QUOTE (Allsox @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 04:09 AM)
The one thing that bothers me is how we pitch away, away to the Twins. Why not duplicate Danks? He busted their asses in the whole damn game and poof, they scored only one run. Hawk said this Tuesday and the Sox only listened once.

Pitch them away, play them to pull. I've been amazed at how often Thome just flips the ball to LF in the games we've played the Twins. He never did this when he was on the Sox.

And this folks is why the Sox will be watching the post season rather than playing in it.. they can't beat the Twins head to head.....

But we also wet the bed against Cleveland and Balt. YOu just gotta, I mean just gotta win those games. No excuse.