AND THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!!!

SoxAce

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 11:31 PM)
This is what we need to do. IF we can't beat the Twins, we need to beat the bad teams that we face. The Tigers are one of those teams.

You know what dude I like this; we just can't beat em, for whatever reason. So why don't we assume the next 6 against the Twins are all head-to-head losses. If we lose 6 games in the standings vs. them, then what would each team's respective records have to be in the other games for us to make the playoffs?

It's time to find another way to the playoffs, ya know?

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Aug 13, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
You know what dude I like this; we just can't beat em, for whatever reason. So why don't we assume the next 6 against the Twins are all head-to-head losses. If we lose 6 games in the standings vs. them, then what would each team's respective records have to be in the other games for us to make the playoffs?

It's time to find another way to the playoffs, ya know?

If the Twins went .500 against the rest of their competition from here on out, but we exclude the 6 games played between the Sox and Twins (which leaves 40 games), the Sox would have to go 27-13 to tie them for the division crown.

They are going to have to beat the Twins and every one else if they want to make it to the postseason.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 01:58 AM)
2-4 seems like a much safer prediction against the Twins, 3-3 might be hoping a bit too much.

What a crock of s***. The Twins are the Sox biggest competitors this year and it's to the point where it is almost a yearly occurance. The fact that they can't beat them or that the fans expectations are to split is outrageous. I guarantee you that neither Red Sox nor Yankees fans ever go into that series and think that going 9-9 "is hoping for too much." This is a major league baseball team and they should have the ability to beat the living hell out of the Twins.

Maybe I'm just a crazy optimist, but I expect the Sox to win the next two series. The Sox will have their best 3 pitchers going against the Twins next week, and if you can't win 2 out of 3 with your best 3 going against the team in direct competition with you, then you probably don't deserve to be in the postseason anyways.

I agree with the sentiment, but we are not going to go into Minnesota and suddenly turn it around against them. Somebody said we have six games remaining against them. I assume it's three in both parks? I think a split would be a miracle. I think 2-4 would be the upside and 1-5 likely. They still have our number. Don't know when it's gonna change.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 01:33 AM)
I agree with the sentiment, but we are not going to go into Minnesota and suddenly turn it around against them. Somebody said we have six games remaining against them. I assume it's three in both parks? I think a split would be a miracle. I think 2-4 would be the upside and 1-5 likely. They still have our number. Don't know when it's gonna change.

I disagree with the general sentiment that we cannot beat these guys. This next series we won't have Freddy throwing meatballs up there and we'll have Danks/Floyd/MB going at them, we can beat these guys, our pitching is superior to theirs. Sure, their offense is better top to bottom but with a little luck and GB/TCQ/Teahen back into the mix again we're not that far behind their Morneau less lineup. I just don't buy it that going 3-3 against them is going to be impossible. And secondly I think head to head matchups are overblown sometimes, we just need to play well the rest of the year and quit worrying about what they are doing. If we play our game we should walk away with the Central this year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 02:22 AM)
What a crock of s***. The Twins are the Sox biggest competitors this year and it's to the point where it is almost a yearly occurance. The fact that they can't beat them or that the fans expectations are to split is outrageous. I guarantee you that neither Red Sox nor Yankees fans ever go into that series and think that going 9-9 "is hoping for too much." This is a major league baseball team and they should have the ability to beat the living hell out of the Twins.

Maybe I'm just a crazy optimist, but I expect the Sox to win the next two series. The Sox will have their best 3 pitchers going against the Twins next week, and if you can't win 2 out of 3 with your best 3 going against the team in direct competition with you, then you probably don't deserve to be in the postseason anyways.

I went back and looked at the season, head-to-head over the last decade.

2001=5-14

2002=8-11

2003=9-10

2004=9-10

2006=9-10

2007=9-9

2008=8-10 (9-10 counting Game 163)

2009=6-12

Nothing terrible, right?

Overall 63-86. Well, definitely not great, that's for sure. (I'll add in the 2000 and 2005 numbers later to see how much it helps).

Here's where the big problems start for Sox fans.

After the All-Star Break during that time period, 23-48 (14-20 at USCF) against the Twins.

9-28 in Minnesota, AFTER the All-Star Break.

That's why I put 2-4 (realistically) is about the best I'd hope for.

Edited by caulfield12

Including 2000 and 2005, and 2010...

85-107

After the All-Star Break, 35-62 (overall), 50-45 before ASB

At Minnesota after the ASB, 18-35 (17-27 at USCF)

2003 (losing the last five games in a row), 2004 (2-7 after Break), 2008 (1-6), 2009 (1-8) and 2010 (2-5) have been the years that are (or will be) most remembered. In 2001, the Twins were up and coming and we were injury-decimated.

By my count, Ozzie Guillen is 64-72 against the Twins, including Game 163. (1-4-1)

10-20 (11-26 going back to 2nd half of 2008) the last two years and not having beaten them head-to-head since 2005, not so good.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 04:42 AM)
I went back and looked at the season, head-to-head over the last decade.

2001=5-14

2002=8-11

2003=9-10

2004=9-10

2006=9-10

2007=9-9

2008=8-10 (9-10 counting Game 163)

2009=6-12

Nothing terrible, right?

Overall 63-86. Well, definitely not great, that's for sure. (I'll add in the 2000 and 2005 numbers later to see how much it helps).

Here's where the big problems start for Sox fans.

After the All-Star Break during that time period, 23-48 (14-20 at USCF) against the Twins.

9-28 in Minnesota, AFTER the All-Star Break.

That's why I put 2-4 (realistically) is about the best I'd hope for.

Do the 2001 White Sox really have any relevance to how the 2010 White Sox will perform against the Twins this year?

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)
Do the 2001 White Sox really have any relevance to how the 2010 White Sox will perform against the Twins this year?

Well, since Buehrle and Konerko were around in 2001, maybe it's just one little bit of the history.

2000 and 2005 really shouldn't count either, by that way of thinking...or 4-19 the last three years after the All-Star Break, but it's certainly getting in the heads of Ozzie and his wife.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 05:15 AM)
Well, since Buehrle and Konerko were around in 2001, maybe it's just one little bit of the history.

2000 and 2005 really shouldn't count either, by that way of thinking...or 4-19 the last three years after the All-Star Break, but it's certainly getting in the heads of Ozzie and his wife.

The Twins have been a better team (or at least finished higher than us in the standings) every year except 2000, 2005, and 2008. So I would think that would correlate more to who wins the head to head battle year in and year out. So obviously if they are a better team for 7 out of the last 10 years, then they will also have a pretty good lead in the head to head games as well.

So our performance against them seems to dictate how we will finish. If we don't win the last couple of series vs them, and bring the head to head record closer, it is hard to see how we can catch them.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 06:18 AM)
The Twins have been a better team (or at least finished higher than us in the standings) every year except 2000, 2005, and 2008. So I would think that would correlate more to who wins the head to head battle year in and year out. So obviously if they are a better team for 7 out of the last 10 years, then they will also have a pretty good lead in the head to head games as well.

So our performance against them seems to dictate how we will finish. If we don't win the last couple of series vs them, and bring the head to head record closer, it is hard to see how we can catch them.

But it's still quite difficult to explain that 4-19 second half record (sure, 2009, we weren't good for any consistent stretch) especially 1-6 in the second half of 2008.

And I don't think many White Sox players or fans would admit that the 2003 and 2004 Twins should have beaten the White Sox or that were even the superior team...usually 2003 is blamed on Manuel and 2004 on injuries (and the MetroDome disadvantage).

Clearly, the 2009 Twins were better.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 07:01 AM)

In a way, I could see it. The mental side of getting your asses kicked in pretty much every meaningful series against a team for a decade sure seems to have an effect on them.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 02:44 AM)
I disagree with the general sentiment that we cannot beat these guys. This next series we won't have Freddy throwing meatballs up there and we'll have Danks/Floyd/MB going at them, we can beat these guys, our pitching is superior to theirs. Sure, their offense is better top to bottom but with a little luck and GB/TCQ/Teahen back into the mix again we're not that far behind their Morneau less lineup. I just don't buy it that going 3-3 against them is going to be impossible. And secondly I think head to head matchups are overblown sometimes, we just need to play well the rest of the year and quit worrying about what they are doing. If we play our game we should walk away with the Central this year.

f*** yes...I'm not about to say we aren't good enough to beat the Twins. That is pure bulls***.