Gamethread: White Sox (65-51) vs Tigers (55-60) 6:05PM CST

Kyyle23

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:03 PM)
Twins are 23-11 since Morneau got injured, and they're batting .300 during that time. You have to tip your cap to them for overcoming a huge injury to a top 5 player in the AL.

And that's with their best player (for the first half) in Young looking like Alex Rios the last month.

Probably the key to this season might end up being the insertion of Duensing into the rotation, the guy's 6-1 with a 2.00 ERA. You continue to get that level of pitching from him, with Pavano and Liriano, Baker and Slowey suddenly look pretty darned solid at the back end of the rotation.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 03:08 AM)
Tomorrow's a huge game. We can't afford to go 2-4 on this homestand. We just happen to have our worst pitcher going. Prove me wrong Freddy.

At least Castro gets to play...I still hate Ozzie's unwillingness to use him as a PH.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:10 PM)
At least Castro gets to play...I still hate Ozzie's unwillingness to use him as a PH.

That's a move that can't be done since you need a backup catcher in case A.J. gets hurt.

The probability of A.J. getting hurt is probably 1 in 1000 or 1 in 100000, but managers' rule are managers' rules I guess.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:05 PM)
We had our chance to build a bit of a cushion playing the Orioles and the Twins at home.

That's gone, and now we're really looking to be in bad shape because we can't match up with teams like the Yankees and Red Sox offensively, unless we get shut-outs every time out.

The idea that we could compete with no DH because our manager wants to be in the NL is kind of a joke. Ozzie was crazy for wanting it, Kenny was stupid for letting it happen. Now here we are and its pucker time and the bats are being squeezed real tight. This supposed versatility that the floating DH would bring us is a joke. We knew from the beginning that the offense would be challenged and here we are in the dog days trying win pitching duels with teams because we have a terrible offense in a homer haven park.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 03:13 AM)
The idea that we could compete with no DH because our manager wants to be in the NL is kind of a joke. Ozzie was crazy for wanting it, Kenny was stupid for letting it happen. Now here we are and its pucker time and the bats are being squeezed real tight. This supposed versatility that the floating DH would bring us is a joke. We knew from the beginning that the offense would be challenged and here we are in the dog days trying win pitching duels with teams because we have a terrible offense in a homer haven park.

Hawk is giving Teahen the same treatment he was giving Kotsay a few weeks ago. Every ball is "hard hit" or "just missed"

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:17 PM)
The loss is on Putz who now has given up two game losing HR's in what? a week Now. We complained about Bibbie Jenks and wanted Putc and he is erratic himself

J.J. might be suffering from fatigue.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
And Hell...we're getting the pitching to do it too.

Wasting great starting pitching irritates me more than anything. The pitching pretty much has done its job over the last week yet we are dropping series because our offense is taking a nap in August.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 02:20 AM)
Wasting great starting pitching irritates me more than anything. The pitching pretty much has done its job over the last week yet we are dropping series because our offense is taking a nap in August.

We've never seen this happen...ugh

QUOTE (TomPickle @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 02:50 AM)
Seriously? You'd be b****ing if Quentin was left in the game and misplayed some ball hit to him.

Just read the thread. Best post in the thread.

Where's the outrage about Putz? He gave up the bomb vs. the Orioles and tonight's implosion.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:21 PM)
We've never seen this happen...ugh

Really...right now is when the stupid, stupid Thome decision is hurting. You could say that we weren't getting the pitching or defense the first 2 months and screwing with the DH was OK, Kotsay and Jones weren't even bad then, so it all kinda worked...now, we really, really need that bat, and we really needed the Twins to be unable to fill in for Morneau, and we've got neither of those.

with all due respect Balta, we led 2-1 in the ninth at home and couldn't close it out.

The DH thing or no DH thing, we blew this game because of our relief pitching. I won't say his name lest somebody think I'm blasting him and wanting my favorite reliever back.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 03:25 AM)
Really...right now is when the stupid, stupid Thome decision is hurting. You could say that we weren't getting the pitching or defense the first 2 months and screwing with the DH was OK, Kotsay and Jones weren't even bad then, so it all kinda worked...now, we really, really need that bat, and we really needed the Twins to be unable to fill in for Morneau, and we've got neither of those.

In all honesty, one stupid decision by Ozzie changed the fate of the AL Central pennant. I really believe it's a fire-worthy decision if the Twins win the AL Central, but we know no one will be held accountable.

QUOTE (mcgrad70 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
Jackson's best inning was his last. I am sick and tired of Guillen and his dumbass formula managing of the bullpen.

When starters are pitching like that, they deserve to finish what they start.

Pitch counts be damned.

This is getting bad when fans have to blame everything on Ozzie. Everyone on the team hasn't ruined their moment to be unclutch.

This post would be more predictable if Jackson stayed in and lost. I'm bored of the blame Kotsay/Ozzie routines. It's pretty simple. Ozzie sent a guy in to do a job most fans believe would be better than Jenks. He failed. End of story. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)
Good article!

I can't believe some of the Oz haters are overlooking the reason we lost tonight's f***ing game.

We led 2-1 in the ninth, folks!!!

Yes the massive 2-1 lead. How could we have coughed up that one. We should put our hands together for our offense for grinding it out against the mighty Rick Porcello. Too bad the damn pitching staff can't keep throwing sub 2 run beauties.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:26 PM)
with all due respect Balta, we led 2-1 in the ninth at home and couldn't close it out.

The DH thing or no DH thing, we blew this game because of our relief pitching. I won't say his name lest somebody think I'm blasting him and wanting my favorite reliever back.

If we're up 4-1, or if the Twins lose a few of those games, or whatever...then it's a ton easier on either closer.

Feel free to blast Putz, he deserves it. Seems like whoever we put in that role now sucks just as much as the previous guy.

Well, you can do blame two people here.

In the short run, you blame Putz because he blew the game, but that's really shortsighted.

In the long run, you blame Ozzie and Kenny because they left the team without a DH, TWICE. Any team who can't score more than 2 runs off of Rick Porcello has some explaining to do, especially in this ballpark.