Gamethread: White Sox (65-51) vs Tigers (55-60) 6:05PM CST

Kyyle23

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:19 PM)
This is BY NO MEANS praise of Andruw (I am not very good anymore) Jones, but doesn't he have more homers than Thome this year?

He has 15, and sports a .973 OPS and has 38 RBIs with 42 walks in 241 ABs.

Andruw Jones has 15 as well, sports a .744 OPS with 36 RBI and 34 walks in 267 ABs.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
He has 15, and sports a .973 OPS and has 38 RBIs with 42 walks in 241 ABs.

Andruw Jones has 15 as well, sports a .744 OPS with 36 RBI and 34 walks in 267 ABs.

That sounds like a freaking ideal platoon for me, if I assume that Jones is a solid defensive replacement in the OF (which he is).

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:02 PM)
The offense blew the Orioles series. Some of the worst pitchers in the game and we pretty much looked like it was Cy Young in his prime.

Sure Putz blew the game tonight, he had the lead and coughed it up. He gets the L. But it is a bit myopic not to see the elephant in the room with what our offense has been doing a lot this year.

I know it would have been better if the Sox were up by 4 runs but still the reason teams have closers is when they are up 8-7. When you have a guy like Thornton as a setiup man, you should have much better chances of winning a 2-1 game than most teams.

He has choked twice now in the same week. I've read from fans from this site how the position of the closer is over rated. Anyone can do it. Any good team will stop hitting but all this guy had to do was get 3 outs. You still have to win those 1 run games.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
It's amazing how well Thome would have worked with the rotating DH. It really is. It's EXACTLY what they wanted in terms of giving them the chance to give extra rest to the guys in the lineup.

That wasn't his choice. If his demands were to be a full time DH, he'd be outta baseball. There's one guy right now sitting at home because he thinks he can still play the outfield.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:33 PM)
This is getting bad when fans have to blame everything on Ozzie. Everyone on the team hasn't ruined their moment to be unclutch.

This post would be more predictable if Jackson stayed in and lost. I'm bored of the blame Kotsay/Ozzie routines. It's pretty simple. Ozzie sent a guy in to do a job most fans believe would be better than Jenks. He failed. End of story. Shoulda, woulda, coulda.

Guillen insists on putting his imprint on every game instead of letting the players play.

I've never seen a manager who has to be the focal point of every event.

Therefore, he opens the door for more criticism.

He has historically poor judgment when it comes to handling a pitching staff.

What I stated about this game was a fact.

Jackson's best inning was his last.

You have to able to recognize when a pitcher deserves to win or lose the game himself.

Especially given the shaky closer situation.

I've always thought Guillen was a lousy choice for manager and I still believe Reinsdorf forced him on Kenny.

Kenny wanted Cito Gaston and Reinsdorf didn't want to pay him.

Guillen came cheap which is always music to Reinsdorf's ears.

If anyone is predictable it's fans like you who refuse to pull their heads out the sand and face reality.

I love the Sox but my loyalty to them is not blind like yours.

Edited by mcgrad70

I love how Thome's popularity has increased about 150 percent on here just by not being on the Sox this year.

I remember him getting crucified on here in many game threads last year.

I remember my stance as being positive toward him, but agreeing it was time for him to move on.

Since we had nothing better going on, I agree it would have been the right call to bring him back. But it's not like he was beloved on here a year ago before we let him roam to LA.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:09 PM)
Exactly. This team will always have scoring challenges because they think of nothing but swing for the fences unless you are Jaun Pierre. The roster has changed but you still see the same lame hitting like last year and Thome was part of that.

How is that a good point? With Thome, this offense goes from below average to slightly above average.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 11:04 PM)
I love how Thome's popularity has increased about 150 percent on here just by not being on the Sox this year.

I remember him getting crucified on here in many game threads last year.

I remember my stance as being positive toward him, but agreeing it was time for him to move on.

Since we had nothing better going on, I agree it would have been the right call to bring him back. But it's not like he was beloved on here a year ago before we let him roam to LA.

People last year thought he'd be replaced with somebody better. That hasn't been the case. Plus, he's mashing for the Twins. So there's your explanation for why he's getting all this love.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
I read the last 4-5 pages of this thread.

Conclusion: suicide.gif

I think I've come to the conclusion that this team might not be good enough. The real test is coming on Tuesday.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 12:21 AM)
I think I've come to the conclusion that this team might not be good enough. The real test is coming on Tuesday.

Maybe. I don't know. But - and I hate being "that guy" - I do know that in the 6 minutes or so I spent reading the postgame discussion I've actually lost knowledge and forgotten things.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:26 AM)
Maybe. I don't know. But - and I hate being "that guy" - I do know that in the 6 minutes or so I spent reading the postgame discussion I've actually lost knowledge and forgotten things.

Hey you know the motto around here. We b**** and moan and bury when the Sox lose. We for the most part yawn after the Sox win. Such is the nature of fandom circa 2010.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 01:13 AM)
Hey you know the motto around here. We b**** and moan and bury when the Sox lose. We for the most part yawn after the Sox win. Such is the nature of fandom circa 2010.

I dunno, maybe its being in a bad mood from seeing ANOTHER blown save but the inane s*** that gets brought up afer a loss is even more annoying than usual.

I'm surprised you are not used to it yet, lost.

I've changed considerably the last few weeks realizing a loss on here is Armageddon. It's kind of amusing to read the game threads.

Oz gets the blame regardless (even in wins sometimes) and it always comes back to the DH thing ... unless Bobby happens to blow the save. Then for a day it's all on Bobby.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 02:21 AM)
I'm surprised you are not used to it yet, lost.

I've changed considerably the last few weeks realizing a loss on here is Armageddon. It's kind of amusing to read the game threads.

Oz gets the blame regardless (even in wins sometimes) and it always comes back to the DH thing ... unless Bobby happens to blow the save. Then for a day it's all on Bobby.

Last night it was the offense and Putz. Both of them.

Ozzie's one big mistake that I saw was not pinch hitting Ramon Castro.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
This season boils down to one decision:

Kotsay for 1 yr / 1.5M

Or

Thome for 1 yr /1.5M

Not to mention he has filled in for Morneau for the last 6 weeks.

That my friends will most likely be what does us in...

I repeat....the DH is not what will decide our fate this year.