Edwin Jackson

fathom

Even though the 9th was disappointing, I was very impressed by Jackson again tonight. His command of the fastball has been fantastic. I actually found myself wishing that he has more than another year on his contract. If nothing else, he's making Danks a lot more expendable this offseason.

The Sox aren't trading Danks because of a guy with 1 year on his contract.

But he's been damn good. I could make excuses about the quality of teams he's faced, but it's not even worth trying...if you're not pitching well, then even bad hitting teams will get to you after a few games.

The problem with Jackson is you only have him for 2011, so then you're really in rebuilding mode if you're trading Danks two seasons before he's a free agent, unless you're lucky enough to make the kind of trades the Tigers did getting Austin Jackson/Scherzer types who were major league ready...and who actually pan out and don't go bust (like the Johan Santana deal for the Twins).

KW is in a heckuva pickle with the decisions on AJ and Konerko this offseason. It will be interesting to see if AJ would be willing to sign a one-year deal.

Trading Danks? I hope that KW's scouts find the right players, because that will be the one move he can make that will bring in 2-3 top prospects. He's not going to trade Ramirez or Beckham.

Well, welcome to the closer's job Santos/Thornton/Sale!

FIP on the year down to 4.06.

His numbers so far with the Sox: 20 IP, 20 H, 3 ER, 10.8 K/9, 2.3 BB/9, 1.35 ERA, 1.25 WHIP, 2.61 FIP.

Too bad two of those starts have been wasted since he got only 3 runs of support in those two games.

He's had a total of 7 runs scored for him I think. It's looking very good so far, although I wouldn't call the Orioles and Tigers good hitting teams.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
KW is in a heckuva pickle with the decisions on AJ and Konerko this offseason. It will be interesting to see if AJ would be willing to sign a one-year deal.

After the debacle of a season he's had...I seriously doubt anyone would offer AJ anything more than a 1 year deal. Even the Royals aren't that dumb. If someone offers him a 2 year deal they're offering him the 2nd year for like a million or so.

But is it possible to turn over one of the best pitching staffs in baseball to Tyler Flowers?

I don't know.

If they could get Castro into better shape, it might be better to bring him back as the starter, but how long until he broke down catching full-time?

If you traded Flowers and Castro was hurt, then you're left with who exactly?

The problem with our pitching staff is the affordability issue. I don't see how we can fit all those guys into the rotation without playing Viciedo, Flowers and possibly Jordan Danks next year. Which means a TON of growing pains offensively...and the offense was bad enough as it was. I guess the only positive is that having to watch young hitters struggling is more compelling than watching Kotsay, AJ, Teahen and Andruw Jones flail away.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:20 PM)
But is it possible to turn over one of the best pitching staffs in baseball to Tyler Flowers?

I don't know.

If they could get Castro into better shape, it might be better to bring him back as the starter, but how long until he broke down catching full-time?

If you traded Flowers and Castro was hurt, then you're left with who exactly?

You can't go 3 deep at every position, especially at catcher with a rookie. You'd have to bring in a backup plan.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 02:18 AM)
AJP is showing massive signs of regression. He has no power left, as even hard hit balls by him die at the warning track.

I am torn on this one. He did hit .300 last year and I am thinking this is just one of those off years

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:19 PM)
Danks better not go anywhere except into Reinsdorf's office to sign an extension. Jackson is looking good ands if we have five solid starters I say keep them. Pitching wins games

Hello, Ranger!

Joking.

Of course, it's not the offense to blame for any losses this season. We can simply blame it on Jenks and Putz and make them the convenient scapegoats, right?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
So who would you rather have as the starter in 2011, AJ, Castro or Flowers?

I'd go with a legitimate AJ and Castro platoon.

But I seriously mean "Platoon". Rather than the AJ plays against everyone except when Garcia starts. Especially if we no longer have Garcia.

Flowers flat out hasn't proved anything this year except that he's not ready.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)

But I seriously mean "Platoon". Rather than the AJ plays against everyone except when Garcia starts. Especially if we no longer have Garcia.

This.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 02:36 AM)

I have no faith in Ozzie to actually use a platoon correctly. I agree with you about Flowers, and have little doubt he'll be traded this offseason.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:37 PM)
I have no faith in Ozzie to actually use a platoon correctly. I agree with you about Flowers, and have little doubt he'll be traded this offseason.

I'd seriously be surprised if anyone would want Flowers for anything of use.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
For catchers, isn't Victor Martinez a FA after the year? Or how about possibly try to re-acquire Miguel?

I hesitate to try to bring in a major FA this offseason with as many holes on the offense to fill as we have...unless we're talking about a $105-$110 million total salary.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)

Flowers isn't going anywhere. He's pre-arb. He has options left. He's only 24 years old. We have no other catching prospects in the high minors. And he's having a sub-par year.

It all adds up to him having greater value to us than we could get in trade.

Edited by scenario

The problem is that AJ and Flowers don't seem to mix very well.

So you'd basically just be keeping Tyler around and praying he could get his game together while banishing him away from the big league camp and any kind of discussion about him taking AJ's job.

You'd have to bring in Castro and AJ on one-year deals, telling them the team is basically in a holding pattern for one more year and waiting to see who emerges from that 3 headed group to be the starter in 2012.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
You'd have to bring in Castro and AJ on one-year deals, telling them the team is basically in a holding pattern for one more year and waiting to see who emerges from that 3 headed group to be the starter in 2012.

If you can pull that off for $2-$3 million...it's just about the right decision. Flowers just has struggled too much trying to fix his swing holes this year. He needs AFL time and serious offseason work, and probably at least several months tryout in AAA next year.