Edwin Jackson

fathom

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:41 PM)
I hesitate to try to bring in a major FA this offseason with as many holes on the offense to fill as we have...unless we're talking about a $105-$110 million total salary.

Well a hole is catching, wouldn't you say? Flowers doesn't look so great as I never thought he was. Castro is nothing more than a backuip and AJ doesn't have it anymore it seems like. Victor Martinez would be a huge upgrade and provide pop. Get rid of AJ and PK and Jenks which will clear room. Because honestly, the only positions I see being adjusted are 1B C or DH. I think Ozzie is content with his OF.

Victor Martinez's bat would be great, IF IF he's healthy.

The problem is that his bat belongs at 1B/DH, not catcher.

I just don't think it's a wise move to spend $8-10 million on Martinez, then risk him being hurt...not to mention that he used to be about the only catcher in the AL who could throw out a lower percentage than AJ (to Pierzynski's credit, he's been much better since Contreras left and Danks started learning from Buehrle).

With Edwin Jackson now in the projected payroll, where's that money for Martinez going to come from? That's already assuming AJ, Jenks and Konerko are gone, yes?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 09:18 PM)
AJP is showing massive signs of regression. He has no power left, as even hard hit balls by him die at the warning track.

Are you talking about tonight? Because that ball was not hit very hard at all, I could tell by the sound it wasnt going out.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:06 AM)
Are you talking about tonight? Because that ball was not hit very hard at all, I could tell by the sound it wasnt going out.

He's done that about 5 times over the last three weeks. It just seems like he has no plan at the plate, and giving up at bats more than usual.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 10:58 PM)
With Edwin Jackson now in the projected payroll, where's that money for Martinez going to come from? That's already assuming AJ, Jenks and Konerko are gone, yes?

We were most worried about salary cuts prior to the winning streak, which honestly gave us a decent attendance surge. We also still don't know if there's any sort of insurance on the Peavy deal.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)
He's done that about 5 times over the last three weeks. It just seems like he has no plan at the plate, and giving up at bats more than usual.

He's been giving up atbats all season.

Doesn't mean I want him replaced with Flowers next year. Or Martinez.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:08 AM)
We were most worried about salary cuts prior to the winning streak, which honestly gave us a decent attendance surge. We also still don't know if there's any sort of insurance on the Peavy deal.

Great first sentence there, as I've also said that lately...even if we fall short in the AL Central, the 26-5 run definitely saved our attendance this season.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
Great first sentence there, as I've also said that lately...even if we fall short in the AL Central, the 26-5 run definitely saved our attendance this season.

We'll still be down compared to last season, but there's an extra couple thousand people a game there because of that streak.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:14 AM)
We'll still be down compared to last season, but there's an extra couple thousand people a game there because of that streak.

Is that taking into account the likely huge crowds with Boston and NYY in town?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)
Is that taking into account the likely huge crowds with Boston and NYY in town?

Yeah, because there are series with teams like Baltimore, cleveland, and KC remaining IIRC...after the school year starts, so they'll probably be below average, esp. if we fall farther back of the surging Twins.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 03:18 AM)
AJP is showing massive signs of regression. He has no power left, as even hard hit balls by him die at the warning track.

He's probably due for a change of scenery. He was with the White Sox a long time. Seems to be the kind of personality who probably could use a new team. I was wondering if something might happen yesterday when for no reason AJ threw the ball into center, letting the runner go to third.

Oz didn't look happy. Stone sounded pissed. Hawk even was annoyed. Had Oz said something to him, I wonder if we'd have had a Zambrano type incident (on a much lower scale tho).

Judging from some of his mope-like taps when he doesn't run hard at all and pop ups, my guess is he by next season will be ready for a change of scenery. Back to the NL for AJ?

Hope we can get somebody at least as good as Castro to go with Castro though.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 14, 2010 -> 11:07 PM)

Even when he's hitting, when has AJ ever had a plan at the plate?

Ever?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:11 AM)
That ball that AJ threw into CF was 100% on Alexei Ramirez.

There was a "Thome shift" on at the time and he didn't get over there to cover to communicate with Beckham about who would be taking it. Not AJ's fault.

Caulfield, I was just going by the analysis of Hawk and Stoney who, even as homers, crucified AJ on the play. Said on ball four it was inexcusable to throw the ball. Stoney said AJ "knew" that ball was high.

I love AJP, I'm just going by our announcers.

Curious as to why you see this one differently from those two. Remember it was ball four.

We should have a separate thread on Soxtalk's feelings about AJ. I sense some growing disgust with him this year. I still like him, just don't understand his batting stance sometimes.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 02:27 AM)
Caulfield, I was just going by the analysis of Hawk and Stoney who, even as homers, crucified AJ on the play. Said on ball four it was inexcusable to throw the ball. Stoney said AJ "knew" that ball was high.

Curious as to why you see this one differently from those two. Remember it was ball four.

We should have a separate thread on Soxtalk's feelings about AJ. I sense some growing disgust with him this year. I still like him, just don't understand his batting stance sometimes.

I think AJ lost the count on that play. He turned around and was talking to the umpire after the play.I hope he comes back if Tyler Flowers is the answer as a replacement. AJ has been pretty brutal offensively this year, but has had a real good defensive season. Castro is a nice back up. He was very popular in NY as a back up, fans always wanting him to have the regular job. When he plays more frequently he tends to show why he is a back up, which is fine. I think the Sox have a cheap option on him next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 09:26 AM)
I think AJ lost the count on that play. He turned around and was talking to the umpire after the play.I hope he comes back if Tyler Flowers is the answer as a replacement. AJ has been pretty brutal offensively this year, but has had a real good defensive season. Castro is a nice back up. He was very popular in NY as a back up, fans always wanting him to have the regular job. When he plays more frequently he tends to show why he is a back up, which is fine. I think the Sox have a cheap option on him next year.

Looks like a $1.2 million option.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 01:27 AM)

I think there was a similar play the day/game before...where the ball went into CF because nobody covered 2B, the infield was shifting for a pull hitter.

At least that's my recollection. I think this was a different situation.

Well, aside from the catching pissing match....

Edwin has looked damn good, and he's shown that he can get out of jams just relying on pure stuff. I'm sure he's putting up better numbers against the teams that he did than Hudson would have.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)

I can't figure this out...how does the catcher lose the count, esp. on a 3 ball count?

Isn't pitch calling heavily dependent on the count?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
I can't figure this out...how does the catcher lose the count, esp. on a 3 ball count?

Isn't pitch calling heavily dependent on the count?

I went to a game when Wayne Nordhagen was the catcher and he would forget when there were men on base.