Sox vs. Tigers 1:05 CT, CSN

shipps

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 02:54 PM)
How's it possible for a young, athletic player to look like such a stiff at 2nd base?

A stiff? It was a bonehead play, but that's not a word I'd use to describe him.

A Stiff is Teahen at 3b or Quentin in RF.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 07:55 PM)
A stiff? It was a bonehead play, but that's not a word I'd use to describe him.

A Stiff is Teahen at 3b or Quentin in RF.

The next time Beckham makes a tough play will be a first. I agree though, maybe stiff was a bad choice of words.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 02:56 PM)
The next time Beckham makes a tough play will be a first. I agree though, maybe stiff was a bad choice of words.

Didn't he make a really good catch last night covering a lot of ground moving towards the RF line?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 07:57 PM)
Didn't he make a really good catch last night covering a lot of ground moving towards the RF line?

That's considered a tough play? Not being an ass, but that's a play any 2nd baseman in baseball makes.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 02:57 PM)
What is this your first time seeing Beckham? Beckham is a fine 2B who tries to get fancy sometimes and messes up. Nothing "stiff" about his defense.

You might be able to get away with comparing him to Alexei at SS from last year. Not as many silly throws but sometimes overly aggressive to the point of silliness.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 02:58 PM)
That play wasn't totally Gordon's fault. He was screened by Alexei as he was trying to make a play for the ball. He is far from a stiff.

Bah, Alexei didn't make Gordon not go down with the glove. There was no way he was going to get the out on that but he tried to anyway.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 06:58 PM)
That play wasn't totally Gordon's fault. He was screened by Alexei as he was trying to make a play for the ball. He is far from a stiff.

I agreed with balta before that stiff was a poor choice of words. It's more like he does a good job of getting into position to make plays, but he just doesn't execute well.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
I agreed with balta before that stiff was a poor choice of words. It's more like he does a good job of getting into position to make plays, but he just doesn't execute well.

Which might be a symptom of not having a ton of either MLB experience or experience at that position.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
Bah, Alexei didn't make Gordon not go down with the glove. There was no way he was going to get the out on that but he tried to anyway.

Gordon did what a lot of young players do. He tried to make a play and went for the barehand, instead of doing the smart thing which was to keep the ball in the infield. He has done a pretty good job at 2nd this year.