Sox vs. Tigers 1:05 CT, CSN

shipps

Fathom, to comment on that HR tracker I posted...note how Howard has hit 425-450 foot HR the opposite way and to CF regularly, while all of Cabrera's opposite field HR are under 400 and he's got nothing to CF (Probably because of the 410 CF at Comerica).

Howard has vastly more opposite field power than Cabrera right now.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 09:42 PM)
Griffey in and around 98, Thomas in 92- 94, Mauer last year, Pujols for the last decade, and the juicers immediately come to mind.

Edit: and the more I think of juicers, the more I come up with. Sheffield had some dominant years. Canseco. Sosa on the stuff.

you and I have talked though about not considering the players from the steroids era. Cause if that was true, then obviously Bonds was the best player I've ever seen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 09:46 PM)
Fathom, to comment on that HR tracker I posted...note how Howard has hit 425-450 foot HR the opposite way and to CF regularly, while all of Cabrera's opposite field HR are under 400 and he's got nothing to CF (Probably because of the 410 CF at Comerica).

Howard has vastly more opposite field power than Cabrera right now.

That graph was awesome, but I could have been sure that they talked in ESPN Magazine about Cabrera hitting mammoth homers at Comerica the opposite way.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
Isn't Jenks still out with back spasms?

Thornton's closing if Putz is coming in now.

Ahh right. That would make me feel better. Still going to be a nervy couple innings without an insurance run or 2 in the 8th.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
you and I have talked though about not considering the players from the steroids era. Cause if that was true, then obviously Bonds was the best player I've ever seen.

Yeah...the one thing about the steroid era though is that it's possible that because guys who would have been better hitters than Cabrera did juice it, they get excluded by that filter. I don't believe you can ever truly think he was clean...but it's entirely possible that if there were never any steroids, we might still look back and think that guys like Bonds or Sheffield or ARod were at a level beyond where Cabrera is now...but all of them juiced so you can never tell where they'd have been without the assistance.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:47 PM)
That graph was awesome, but I could have been sure that they talked in ESPN Magazine about Cabrera hitting mammoth homers at Comerica the opposite way.

You're making your case based on ESPN the Magazine articles?

I think that means I win. Is that a corrollary to Godwin's law...the probability of ESPN commentary being used in a sports argument goes to 1 with increasing time and the first one to use it loses?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 03:49 PM)
You're making your case based on ESPN the Magazine articles?

I think that means I win. Is that a corrollary to Godwin's law...the probability of ESPN commentary being used in a sports argument goes to 1 with increasing time and the first one to use it loses?

That should be a sticky. Well done.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 09:54 PM)
Stoney, if Alexei stays back for the tag, it makes picking that short hop much harder. I am fine with Alexei coming up to pick it, rather than staying back and hoping to snag the short-hop.

Totally agree, it was a good play by Alexei.