Sox vs. Tigers 1:05 CT, CSN

shipps

QUOTE (Hollywood_AU @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:40 PM)
I think there's a 50/50 chance that the season is over on Thursday :crying

I fear that you are correct.

It's strange how the Sox tanked right after the trading deadline passed. KW should have followed his instincts and made a big move.

Minnesota is far and away a better run franchise, from the front office to the field and with the extra cash they are raking in from the increased attendance, the Sox will be hard pressed to compete going forward.

I give the WS players credit...they turned things around but now they've really hit the wall. Too bad...

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Something that's frustrating is that our pitchers didn't take advantage of the shadows. With shadows that bad, no way a hitter can pick up the spin of an offspeed pitch. Instead, Castro kept calling for fastball after fastball. It's no surprise that Alexei missed Perry's slider by a foot, as there's no way anyone could have seen that pitch. All of the damage the last 2 innings by either team was done against fastballs.

That could be a reason why AJ is valueable.

No matter how hard a ball comes in, if it's in a hitter's sweet spot, they'll nail it.

QUOTE (BearingPro @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:48 PM)
It's strange how the Sox tanked right after the trading deadline passed. KW should have followed his instincts and made a big move.

Minnesota is far and away a better run franchise, from the front office to the field and with the extra cash they are raking in from the increased attendance, the Sox will be hard pressed to compete going forward.

No doubt Kenny tried. Fans like to believe opposing GMs are naive in willing to give up an Adam Dunn. Maybe the price was too high without totally depleting the farm or removing a key piece on the current team.

I would like to see the Sox model what the Twins and Rays are doing but I feel KW may need to go for that to happen. Veeck knew the only way to improve the franchise on a small budget was to invest it in scouting.

An extra bat may have helped to win the division but still lacks talent to win the World Series.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 04:39 PM)
Most disappointing home stand in a very long time. Keep your head up boys, got 3 huge games coming up. Gonna have to beat the Twins anyways if we want to make the postseason.

Really no reason to be worried. Kotsay is still in the clubhouse keeping everyone loose.

Lately, i've come to the realization that a lot of forces seem to be working against the White Sox this year. Notably, The Twins, Ozzie Guillen, the offense and now, the bullpen. Eventually, this team was going to reach a normal pace. It appears that that norm might be that of a .500 baseball team. God willing we can pull out of this death spiral. As it stands, things aren't looking pretty.

Edited by Thunderbolt

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Just amazing that Ozzie continues to play for one run when they're playing a softball game in this bandbox.

I didn't get the whole bunting with Pierre thing after Perry had just given up a homer and a 4 pitch walk. At least try a hit and run.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:04 PM)
Just amazing that Ozzie continues to play for one run when they're playing a softball game in this bandbox.

I don't think there is win win situation which way Ozzie goes since you have players with poor plate discipline.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 06:04 PM)

I can't help but agree with this. We have an offense that's flawed and stunted, but i'd argue that a more tactical manager could probably be getting a hell of a lot more production out of them then Ozzie is. This post seems a little odd after we nearly scored ten, but I’m talking big picture here.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:07 PM)
I didn't get the whole bunting with Pierre thing after Perry had just given up a homer and a 4 pitch walk. At least try a hit and run.

I do. People think Pierre is too fast to hit into a DP. He doesn't hit the ball hard and he doesn't hit liners. He's hit into DPs. He's good at bunting and he may have a better chance of getting on base with a bunt as well.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:15 PM)
I do. People think Pierre is too fast to hit into a DP. He doesn't hit the ball hard and he doesn't hit liners. He's hit into DPs. He's good at bunting and he may have a better chance of getting on base with a bunt as well.

Well the hit and run will most likely avoid a DP since he hits the ball on the ground 55% of the time...

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
Well the hit and run will most likely avoid a DP since he hits the ball on the ground 55% of the time...

That's why I would rather have him bunt. That would be the only player on the team I would rather have bunt.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:15 PM)

He's terrible at bunting

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:20 PM)
That's why I would rather have him bunt. That would be the only player on the team I would rather have bunt.

Either way, if he hits a grounder in that situation on a hit and run, it's most likely going to get the runner to second anyways. And if he gets lucky and finds a hole, you have first and third, nobody out.

I'd rather have that than just bunting in that situation. Plus, you don't have to worry about Pierre not making contact or a strike 'em out throw 'em out because Pierre makes lots of contact and rarely strikes out. You play to your players' advantages.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Either way, if he hits a grounder in that situation on a hit and run, it's most likely going to get the runner to second anyways. And if he gets lucky and finds a hole, you have first and third, nobody out.

I'd rather have that than just bunting in that situation. Plus, you don't have to worry about Pierre not making contact or a strike 'em out throw 'em out because Pierre makes lots of contact and rarely strikes out. You play to your players' advantages.

Which is why I woudl have him bunt. That is his advantage.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)
Which is why I woudl have him bunt. That is his advantage.

Stop for a second and think.

Pierre would most likely get you the runner over at a 80% clip on a sac bunt and that's being generous. Pierre has been successful 19 times in 42 tries on bunts (7 hits, 12 sac bunts).

Pierre also has a 60.5% chance of hitting a ground ball. In the 71 PAs he's had with a man on first, he's grounded into a DP three times. So he's grounded into a DP 4.2% of those times. The rate of his DP/GB overall in the season is even lower. To show you a point, I'll use the higher percentage.

So on average, he has a 56.3% chance of not grounding into the double play while advancing the runner along on a ground ball. Then, you add in the fact that Pierre hits line drives 14.7% of the time, which Pierre has a .754 batting average on this season. So you add that 11.1% onto the 56.3% and you get 67.4% of a chance that he will advance the runner in some way. Add on the fact that he will get a hit 15.5% of the time on a fly ball (24.8% of his batted balls) and you're up to 71.24% on all batted balls. Add in the fact that he also has a chance to walk 6.7% of the time and the odds go to 77.9% that he will either get on base or just advance the runner. Lastly, add in the chance he will get hit by a pitch, which is 2.3% and you're at 80.2%.

This method has so many more rewards and it does just as well as the sac bunt in terms of percentages.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 10:39 PM)
Most disappointing home stand in a very long time. Keep your head up boys, got 3 huge games coming up. Gonna have to beat the Twins anyways if we want to make the postseason.

Wouldn't that be wild if Minnie sweeps the Sox and we're basically out of it at that point?

That would mean this season consisted of a horrific start, one of the most remarkable win streaks in team history (saving attendance figures) then again being out of it with a full month to play. Totally bizarre season on the South Side with an annoying trend continuing: can't beat teams in our own division.

Not to be a negative nancy, but does anybody really think we have a chance at winning one of the three games in Minnie? It has the makings of a 3-day party up North.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 07:01 PM)
Wouldn't that be wild if Minnie sweeps the Sox and we're basically out of it at that point?

That would mean this season consisted of a horrific start, one of the most remarkable win streaks in team history (saving attendance figures) then again being out of it with a full month to play. Totally bizarre season on the South Side with an annoying trend continuing: can't beat teams in our own division.

Not to be a negative nancy, but does anybody really think we have a chance at winning one of the three games in Minnie? It has the makings of a 3-day party up North.

They gotta win at least 2.

Yeah, but how in the hell are we gonna win two?

They routed us in two of the three at the Cell and found every which way to beat us 3 of 4 last time in Minnie.

It will take three amazing starting pitching performances, Oz making the right calls with the bullpen late, and whomever he calls upon in the pen doing the job.

All with our past history against the Twins suggesting failure. I haven't felt more fatalistic about a series than that horrible road trip to Boston, NY and Minnie last September.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 08:01 PM)
Yeah, but how in the hell are we gonna win two?

They routed us in two of the three at the Cell and found every which way to beat us 3 of 4 last time in Minnie.

It will take three amazing starting pitching performances, Oz making the right calls with the bullpen late, and whomever he calls upon in the pen doing the job.

All with our past history against the Twins suggesting failure. I haven't felt more fatalistic about a series than that horrible road trip to Boston, NY and Minnie last September.

Greg, I actually agree with you. The offense needs to take the game out of Ozzie's hands by scoring a lot of runs.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 10:04 PM)
Yep, Ozzie apparently can never make a correct move and Thornton should be pitching the 7-9 every game. A couple weeks ago it would have been "f***in Ozzie, Putz should be INNNN!!!!!"

Of course.

The cliche continues. Fans wanted the second-string quarterback (oops I mean closer) and got him in Putz, and now it's time to call for the third-string quarerback (oops I mean closer), Thornton.

Players win games; managers do not.

As expected, Putz given an increased, or at least, more stressful work load, is failing.

Hopefully Thornton knows how to close.

It's his time for the hot seat.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 09:36 PM)
Players win games; managers do not.

Your never ending free pass towards Ozzie is getting a little old. If you think his decisions make no difference than why even have a manager? We could save the money we pay him and use it for some better free agent signings. Just have Southpaw pick out the daily lineup by drawing names out of a hat. For bringing in relievers he can throw darts or guess which cap on the scoreboard has the baseball underneath it.