What is it that the Twins do?

kitekrazy

Other than win the division and one and done in the post season.

They've lost a lot of good players and yet come back every season to some degree.

I read this: http://www.startribune.com/sports/twins/blogs/98233404.html

With the bases loaded, however, the team OPS is .593. For perspective, Nick Punto has an OPS of .625.

One year they had almost a .280 average with 2 outs, best in the majors.

It's obvious that the Sox station to station baseball always choked even when Maggs and Frank were in the lineup. I think this year's team was set up to be more competitive against the Twins.

Just what is it that they do that makes them more successful than this team? Is it always luck? Is it organizational philosophy? What?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Twins have won divisions because they beat the teams within their division, most notably the Sox. And if you check how many times we've finished second, you'll see why the Twins have 5 titles in the past decade while we have 3.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
They draft well and develop well. And when someone gets hurt, they plug in someone else and not miss a beat.

This where I think the Sox tend to fail. They do well taking some other system's talent.

I really think it's an organizational approach; from drafting to managing players. They do things that produce results. Now they haven't won a WS since 91 but they have been a thorn in our side for so long.

I really wish the Sox can start taking a page or two out of the way Minnesota runs things and duplicate that on the South Side, just like how the Blackhawks have taken a page or two from the Red Wings.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 10:29 PM)
I really think it's an organizational approach; from drafting to managing players. They do things that produce results. Now they haven't won a WS since 91 but they have been a thorn in our side for so long.

I really wish the Sox can start taking a page or two out of the way Minnesota runs things and duplicate that on the South Side, just like how the Blackhawks have taken a page or two from the Red Wings.

The Sox have been talking about taking things out of the way the Twins run things since at least 2005.

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:17 PM)
They draft well and develop well. And when someone gets hurt, they plug in someone else and not miss a beat.

I think this is one of the biggest keys. Whether its a hitter in the lineup, a starter in the rotation, or someone in the bullpen, they always seem to have a replacement that can keep the team going. The Sox seem to always have trouble filling those empty spots. The Twins worst players are usually cheap veterans they tried to sign to fill those holes (especially 3B) and end up sucking. Once they throw a young player from the minors in there, its back to business.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 05:41 PM)
But mid-season...it's really hard to take other people's talent without having to give up your own.

That's why I hate mid season trades. I'm glad they didn't make a trade. Imagine if Sales was traded. That would hurt right now since the pen is struggling.

QUOTE (Benchwarmerjim @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 07:09 PM)
pitching and defense

or so I have been told about a billion times a year

The Twins have been so so at times in this area. I'm guessing but one of the reasons they hit so well is they don't have a lot of free swingers who feel that have to go for the fence. They are very effective than most team with RISP and 2 outs.

Supposedly the Rangers have changed their approach at the plate and have success but they improved in defense as well.

It's interesting to compare team HRs and some of the worst teams have the most HRs while the Rays and Twins are in the middle.

I never understood how the Sox lineup could shut down all at once and see the same thing with the Cubs. I could only think you have too many guys who can only pull the ball.

Frank in his prime was not always about hitting HRs. It was easier to walk him because you didn't want him to get a hold of it inside and he would go the opposite field pitching outside for a hit. I think the steroid era has done a lot of harm to future players thinking the home run is the most important thing in baseball. Such things like fielding, base running are not important.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
The Twins have won divisions because they beat the teams within their division, most notably the Sox. And if you check how many times we've finished second, you'll see why the Twins have 5 titles in the past decade while we have 3.

With the unbalanced schedule, it's the only recipe a team should have. Win in your own division.

I thought we were going to do that consistently after '05.

Now we are REALLY stuck in a rut of average play vs. KC; lousy play vs. Cleve; average to lousy play vs. Detroit and disastrous play vs. Minnesota.

And it could be considered below average against KC since we go .500ish against them when we should be beating them like we did the NL teams and Seattle.

Flat out, the Twins win their division. The Sox don't. The Twins don't always lose to teams like Cleveland, KC, Detroit. They beat up the divison. It's rare, but Kenny builds the team thinking all the way. If you were to compare teams and say "Who has a better shot at beating the Rangers, Yankees, Rays in the playoffs?" Most people would say the Sox. The thing is, the Sox can't even win their own division because they overlook the small teams. I think that's because of the leadership we have. Then you have guys like Freddy Garcia who admit they don't get up for facing KC. Well he should and if he doesn't, a player should be getting in his face.

I think a lot has to do with each teams mentality going into the game. Sox go in hoping to beat the Twins, the Twins go in knowing they're going to win. It's like the Twins go in knowing if the game is close, the sox will find a way to screw it up. How many times have the sox made that one costly defensive mistake or one bad pitch or one bad baserunning mistake that costs them a run or opens the flood gates? How many of those players have better statistics vs us than most other teams?

Someone also mentioned the fact that they can plug someone in when someone goes down and they don't miss a beat. It happens every year. Every year these guys are one of the top second half teams in the AL. It doesn't fail.

The Twins hitting gets stronger during the 2nd half, instead of fading like the White Sox. Same goes true with their pitching. Maybe it's cause Gardenhire doesn't push his starting pitchers too much during June/July, as he seems more likely to go to the bullpen early instead of racking up the pitch counts for his starters. He's done a masterful job with the Twins starting pitching this season. Meanwhile, the Sox starting pitching has underachieved towards the end of the season, which happens far too often.

They beat up on their division. Plain and simple, they also play lights out at home. They're a very average road team.

They are built for the AL Central which is why they rarely make it out of the first round. They play the Yankees like the Sox play the Twins, scared.