8/15 Games

danman31

" anything to get away from the big league team"

Yep, that's how I feel. On awful days like today, I just retreat to the minor league boxscores, and find some great games by some of our 'spects. It makes me feel good inside when I see Morel, Wilkins, Reed, Hiedi, Phegley, Petricka, ect. have a really good game.

Question for our "prospect experts".

Is Morel as equal as Robin Ventura defensively? Do you think Morel can become that well versed defensively?

If Morel can hit for a high average and hit 10-15 HRs every year and play great defense at 3rd, that would be very, very good for the Pale Hose.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)

Is Morel as equal as Robin Ventura defensively? Do you think Morel can become that well versed defensively?

If Morel can hit for a high average and hit 10-15 HRs every year and play great defense at 3rd, that would be very, very good for the Pale Hose.

Ventura is a multiple GG winner and was among the elite defensive 3B's during his time in the majors. No way you can project any minor leaguer for that level of play. Its possible, that is a huge stretch.

By all accounts his defense is very good, though I admit I've only seen a few video clips myself, so I wouldn't say I'm an expert. We'll have to see how he does in the majors.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
Wow, Serafin went from solid in Low A to awful in High A.

4.55 FIP in Low-A, 4.65 FIP in High-A.

In other words he wasn't as good as the numbers suggested in Low-A, and isn't as bad as the numbers suggest in High-A.

QUOTE (OilCan @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)

Yeah, I gotta go with NSS on the defense...that's not a fair comparison for anyone. You don't ask if a prospect compares to Brooks Robinson at 3b or Ripken at SS, that's just not fair.

I think the thing we have to be impressed with is how well he's handled the bat this year. For a guy his age to be such a tough out at every level in the minors suggests to me that his bat will probably translate to the big leagues. I really liked the level of power he showed when I saw him in AA; he needs to continue building up strength and a few more balls will fly out of parks if he does, but I think that will actually happen with time. The ball really flew off his bat.