92nd PGA Championship at Whistling Straights

To keep him out of a 3-man playoff...hit a ball out of a "waste bunker" or hardpan well off the fairway.

Grounded his club in the hardpan area before hitting shot. Aftter making bogey to tie and join a playoff, Dustin Johnson gets assessed a 2-shot penalty.

Ridiculous. I am absolutely flabbergasted.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 06:34 PM)
Especially when it wasn't even really defined as a bunker.

No one even considered it to be a bunker prior to, or even after the shot. Not til after the hole was finished did someone come up with this possibility.

At least he didn't make that final putt, cause it would have been 100x worse if he had thought he won the tourney and then got screwed.

How f***ing beautiful did Wisconsin look this weekend though, wow. The state still sucks, but that course made the area look great.

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 15, 2010 -> 08:53 PM)
The local rules that are given to each player prior to the tournament clearly stated they were to be played as bunkers. But yeah, that really sucked.

The problem wasn't with the local rules as much it was with them claiming some patch of hardpan is suddenly a sand trap. That's equivalent to some municipality claiming their Yield signs are actually Stop signs. They can say it all they want, but if you're used to that being a Yield sign, you're going to think Yield, not Stop.

Sorry, but when your ball lands in-bounds, within a kidney-shaped collection of sand/silt/fine dirt of that size, I think you have to at least consider the possibility that you might be in a "sand trap" and maybe ask one of the umpteen marshalls or rules officials within 50 feet of you for a ruling to be sure. That is, if you haven't read one of the several memos that were provided to the players and posted in the locker room which explained the point exactly.

I feel sorry for the guy, but he screwed the pooch himself on this one. I do give him credit for how he handled himself afterwards, though.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 04:46 PM)
Sorry, but when your ball lands in-bounds, within a kidney-shaped collection of sand/silt/fine dirt of that size, I think you have to at least consider the possibility that you might be in a "sand trap" and maybe ask one of the umpteen marshalls or rules officials within 50 feet of you for a ruling to be sure. That is, if you haven't read one of the several memos that were provided to the players and posted in the locker room which explained the point exactly.

I feel sorry for the guy, but he screwed the pooch himself on this one. I do give him credit for how he handled himself afterwards, though.

I agree, and let's not forget that he just needed a par on 18 and proceeded to biff his drive into the crowd in the first place.