Relax People

Chisoxfn

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
A team that put up a 25-5 run, and was sustained good for like 2 months, and you don't think they have it in them to win more than 3 straight again? How does that make sense? The only personnel changes since the big run started are Teahen (who is hitting again) for Viciedo, Jackson (who has been very good) for Hudson, and Sale (who looks darn good so far) for Threets. Do you think those moves somehow killed the Sox? If not, I fail to see your logic.

They struggled to win more than 3 in a row the 1st two months of the season a lot of times....So it can happen again.

I want to be proven wrong, though....

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 02:43 PM)
They struggled to win more than 3 in a row the 1st two months of the season a lot of times....So it can happen again.

I want to be proven wrong, though....

If you said "it could happen", I'd agree with you. You said they didn't even have it in them to win more than that, which I find pretty over the top.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
If you said "it could happen", I'd agree with you. You said they didn't even have it in them to win more than that, which I find pretty over the top.

I'm a pretty over the top guy

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
My overly harsh projection of the Sox for the rest of the season is 25-19, finishing at 90-72

My overly positive projection of the Twins for the rest of the season is 27-17, finishing at 95-67

I hope as well they give us 3 extra wins for free too

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 01:31 PM)
It's not that it can't happen, but I really don't think this team is that good, and Minnesota is really good.

Eh. Minnesota is good, but I think some people overrate them. Their offense is better than what the Sox have, but their pitching is simply not comparable.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)
A team that put up a 25-5 run, and was sustained good for like 2 months, and you don't think they have it in them to win more than 3 straight again? How does that make sense? The only personnel changes since the big run started are Teahen (who is hitting again) for Viciedo, Jackson (who has been very good) for Hudson, and Sale (who looks darn good so far) for Threets. Do you think those moves somehow killed the Sox? If not, I fail to see your logic.

It doesn't make sense. It's just hyper-negativity manifesting itself. The idea that another team cannot possibly fail as much as your team can and will. Some of us are forgetting that the Twins weren't very good for a while this season and it's very possible they go through something similar again with 7 weeks to play.

Ranger, seriously, what do you expect from this series.

Minnesota beat the Sox 3 of 4 at Minnesota and 2 of 3 at the Cell most recently with the Sox losing in all kinds of ways as the Sox normally do against Minnesota.

I mean if the Sox get swept this week and we are six out, it's really all but over. I think right now the odds of the Sox sweeping are none; the odds of the Sox winning one are fair.

No way the Sox win more than one with a Minnesota sweep and six-game advantage a likelihood IMO.

Hope I am mistaken.

The Sox have shown no signs of being able to take care of the guys in Minnesota.

Edited by greg775

I've been watching/following baseball for some time now but can't answer this question and didn't do any research, is baseball a game of stretches?

For example, White Sox playing an awful baseball in April-May, but come June-July they had us pinch ourselves with the way they were playing. Let's leave the whole 'playing NL' discussion out of it. Twins were playing an awesome baseball in April and May and while many here already gave up on the season some of you said: Sox will finally start to win games and Twins are playing over their heads and will cool down.

My point: Sox are playing bad baseball right now but will turn it around and have a good September while Twins will cool the heck down and are due for some losing.

Just my two cents.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 12:55 AM)
Eh. Minnesota is good, but I think some people overrate them. Their offense is better than what the Sox have, but their pitching is simply not comparable.

It doesn't make sense. It's just hyper-negativity manifesting itself. The idea that another team cannot possibly fail as much as your team can and will. Some of us are forgetting that the Twins weren't very good for a while this season and it's very possible they go through something similar again with 7 weeks to play.

If their pitching wasn't comparable, we'd be in first place.

You're thinking of the team before the ASB when you're referring to their pitching problems, when Slowey and Blackburn were both on the verge of a demotion to the bullpen and Baker was also struggling...Liriano even went through a rough patch there as well.

Pavano and Liriano have been pitching basically the same as Floyd and Danks, Duensing has been much better than Buehrle (6-1 with a 2 ERA), Jackson has been better than Slowey/Baker (although it's hard to beat a no-hitter through 7 innings) but whichever you pick (Slowey/Baker) has been much better than Garcia and likely will be going forward.

And you're right, the (relief) pitching isn't comparable. The Twins have a better pen than we do right now, too.

Thornton, Santos and Sale look the strongest, but they're not even completely reliable. I don't have the energy to get started on Jenks, Putz and Pena.

Sure, the Twins COULD fail. But they've only done it one time head to head against us in a decade, and even that's a bit tainted by the fact that I don't think very many believe we would have gone into Minnesota and actually won a one game playoff. It's easy to say we COULD have now, but I don't think you would be betting your house on that eventuality. So half of our success this decade against Minnesota has been dictated by a coin flip by a little kid that had a 50% chance of going against us. That's not exactly hyper-comforting.

Eh. Minnesota is good, but I think some people overrate them.

I've heard this every season since 2001. If I had a dolllar for every time someone said Minnesota isn't that good, I'd have more money than the Pohlad family.

We obviously underrate/underestimate KC and Cleveland, so what's the answer then? Everyone is afraid of the Twins, from Ozzie/Harrelson to the vendors...I think we should just be blindly overconfident from now on, forget the "healthy respect" which everyone has for their organization and Gardenhire.

They suck. They can't win in the playoffs. They're soft. They have no heart now that they're all making mega-millions. Their defense with Cuddyer in the infield and Young/Kubel on the corners is among the worst in the major leagues. That really doesn't make me feel better.

The most disheartening thing is that they're without all the players like Hunter and Nathan who used to kick our butts and it's the same old story year after year.

It's getting old. Maybe that's why we didn't come close to selling out against the Twins last week.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 01:52 AM)
I've been watching/following baseball for some time now but can't answer this question and didn't do any research, is baseball a game of stretches?

For example, White Sox playing an awful baseball in April-May, but come June-July they had us pinch ourselves with the way they were playing. Let's leave the whole 'playing NL' discussion out of it. Twins were playing an awesome baseball in April and May and while many here already gave up on the season some of you said: Sox will finally start to win games and Twins are playing over their heads and will cool down.

My point: Sox are playing bad baseball right now but will turn it around and have a good September while Twins will cool the heck down and are due for some losing.

Just my two cents.

The problem is that even a "hot" White Sox team is going to have their struggles with some of the teams on our remaining schedule, particularly Boston, Minnesota and New York.

Not to mention that we have to play the A's again, they always seem to give us fits (along with the Blue Jays).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
The White Sox weren't as good as they were when they went 25-5, and the Twins aren't as good as they are now that they're on a 17-4 streak.

Exactly. The Sox need to ride this one out and start winning games. The Twins will come back down at some point.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 16, 2010 -> 01:58 PM)

Has Sale been that good? I have been out of state and (mercifully) haven't seen a game since Thursday.

I'll say this much. We have the right guy on the mound tonight.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:50 AM)
Has Sale been that good? I have been out of state and (mercifully) haven't seen a game since Thursday.

I'll say this much. We have the right guy on the mound tonight.

I said "so far" because he's only pitched four times. First outing was a walk and a hit and got pulled. Since then, 3.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 06:55 AM)

Seriously? If anything, people underrate the heck out of their starting pitching. Replacing Blackburn for Duensing has completely solidified that rotation.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 12:14 PM)
Seriously? If anything, people underrate the heck out of their starting pitching. Replacing Blackburn for Duensing has completely solidified that rotation.

Along with Slowey and Baker performing up to their abilities, and Liriano getting out of his mini-funk.

I still don't understand how Duensing has been so successful, but I never understood how Joe Saunders could be an effective pitcher either. At the end of the day, they are, to varying degrees, so I can't argue.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:23 AM)
I still don't understand how Duensing has been so successful, but I never understood how Joe Saunders could be an effective pitcher either. At the end of the day, they are, to varying degrees, so I can't argue.

Other fans have said that about Mark Buehrle for years now.