SOX @ Twinkies Danks (12-8 3.19) vs. Baker (10-9 4.76)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:43 PM)
The bottom line is we all love this team and the direction they go in oftentimes affects the way we are able to go about our days and nights every April - September. But in the end, we have to remember this is a game. I'm as big a fan as anyone, but I learned to always try and put things in perspective.

Deep breaths.

Tomorrow is another day, and another game.

It is entertainment and as absurd as that ending was, it was entertaining in a cruel irony kind of way.

• Replies 674
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:39 PM)
You've got to admit there's a certain poetry to the Thome thing. An awful kind of poetry though. Like Vogon poetry.

Ode to a Small Lump of Green Putty Jim Thome Faced on the Mound One Midsummer Evening

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 09:35 PM)
I sincerely would like to thank Delmon, Thome, and Thornton for making that quick. 3 pitches, and game was over. At least none of us got our hopes up in the bottom of the inning. Will we ever retire a Twins hitter in a save situation?

Maybe Danks shouldn't have gave up those runs in the 1st. The pen sucks and it's the worst time for it. Where's the "Coop will fix em"?

The Twins have the Sox number. There's no logic at all. Put guys like Pujols, Sabathia and a few more great players, the Twins would still win. Part of it is luck on the Twins side. It just one of those anomalies in the balck hole of professional sports I have come to accept. If the Sox had 80 wins and the Twins 30, they would still beat the Sox. That's just the way it is.

QUOTE (scenario @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 09:44 PM)
When Thome played for us, everyone on the planet knew he was practically an automatic out when a lefty reliever threw him offspeed stuff that tailed away.

But now he's playing against us and what do we throw him? Fastballs over the fat part of the plate.

****. We deserve to lose for being stupid.

That's why Thornton will not ever make a great closer. He has no other pitches to rely on. It was his turn to suck.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
Maybe Danks shouldn't have gave up those runs in the 1st. The pen sucks and it's the worst time for it. Where's the "Coop will fix em"?

The Twins have the Sox number. There's no logic at all. Put guys like Pujols, Sabathia and a few more great players, the Twins would still win. Part of it is luck on the Twins side. It just one of those anomalies in the balck hole of professional sports I have come to accept. If the Sox had 80 wins and the Twins 30, they would still beat the Sox. That's just the way it is.

Bulls***. You know how you beat the twins. Don't kick the ball, don't give up outs, don't make mistakes. You play a sound fundamental game and you can win. Our problem is our team tinkles down their leg the minute the pressure builds.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:43 AM)
The bottom line is we all love this team and the direction they go in oftentimes affects the way we are able to go about our days and nights every April - September. But in the end, we have to remember this is a game. I'm as big a fan as anyone, but I learned to always try and put things in perspective.

Deep breaths.

Tomorrow is another day, and another game.

Exactly.

I don't know how anybody can get mad. The Twins blow us out some nights, beat us like this others. Please Minnesota win the f***ing World Series for once and maybe we can start winning the division again and beat your ass. I mean we take the lead in the 10th and still lose.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
That's why Thornton will not ever make a great closer. He has no other pitches to rely on. It was his turn to suck.

OTOH, how does Thornton ever get anyone out, I know he throws 95 mph from the left side, but he only has 1 pitch. Logic would say he would be lit up like a pinball machine.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:01 PM)
OTOH, how does Thornton ever get anyone out, I know he throws 95 mph from the left side, but he only has 1 pitch. Logic would say he would be lit up like a pinball machine.

Your logic is flawed. There's a thing in baseball called location. If this isn't working then you need off speed pitches and that will make your fastball appear quicker. Watch a few baseball games and you might learn something. The Sox have a pitcher who doesn't throw hard and he has managed to win in the bigs.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Sox72 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:34 AM)
sad to say, but i'm done with the season. not so much because of one game, but more of how we lost this one game. a little overboard? maybe. i dont care. the organization deserved this.

I agree we're toast, but what if we end up somehow returning to first place? Would you be back then?

It's one thing to say we can't win it as I'm saying. I'm also saying I hope I'm wrong, really wrong.

I mean now that you are done with the season, what if by some miracle we get back in it??

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:31 AM)
I agree we're toast, but what if we end up somehow returning to first place? Would you be back then?

It's one thing to say we can't win it as I'm saying. I'm also saying I hope I'm wrong, really wrong.

I mean now that you are done with the season, what if by some miracle we get back in it??

i was drunk. if we got back in it then i'd obviously be the first one on here saying "i told you so". but i don't see that happening right now.

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:01 AM)

Out of the bullpen, one great pitch is all you need if it's always there for you.

QUOTE (Real @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:22 AM)
How many times will you let this team kick you in the balls before you realize they aren't solid enough to beat a good team beyond 7 innings

Feel free to stop watching and posting about them at anytime.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
Is anyone not?

I'm not. People may call me a bad fan but I just move on and dont put too many emotions into when the Sox play like this. I would get to angry if I did and I wouldnt enjoy baseball anymore. So I have to just say to myself...who cares?... when they get on negative rolls like this.

I just turn them off when they have that bad look. We all know the look. Its a sense that is undeniable when it comes. When they have the gray clouds over them they are unwatchable unless you want to be pissed off.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
Thome's homer was like a dagger through the heart, but as long as it wasn't the silver bullet we can heal up and go for it tonite

The mood shift in here will be tremendous when we take the next two.

QUOTE (IceCreamPants @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
I'm not. People may call me a bad fan but I just move on and dont put too many emotions into when the Sox play like this. I would get to angry if I did and I wouldnt enjoy baseball anymore. So I have to just say to myself...who cares?... when they get on negative rolls like this.

I just turn them off when they have that bad look. We all know the look. Its a sense that is undeniable when it comes. When they have the gray clouds over them they are unwatchable unless you want to be pissed off.

I don't think it makes you a bad fan, and I don't think it makes me a bad fan because I can't stop replaying the Thome homer in my mind over and over again. Everyone should just do what they want and let others do the same.

All this teams needs is Jenks to be healthy....will it happen, I don't know but the last fifteen games has shown as that if Jenks is not doing his job the rest of the pen sucks. This team needs Jenks to save 85% of the opportunities he is given which is what he has done this year. I do not give a s*** about WHIP, ERA, BAA, FIP or the rest of the stupid stats that say Jenks blows. The fact is he needs to be the closer or as we have seen there is no chance of winning.

Thorton for three innings in a tied game fine. While winning that is just stupid.

DL'ing Threeets to get Sale up was bad idea in my mind. I am assuming that the Threets DL was not a real injury. Threets was doing the job just fine and had earned to be put in stressful situations.

Edited by Jenks Heat

I'm glad I didn't see the homerun. I saw Konerko roll into the DP in the ninth before I turned it off to watch Rescue Me on my DVR. I did not have a good feeling about their chances in the bottom of the ninth or in extras against the Twins at Target Field. I saw the result on the internet and was angry enough. But, I'm not as upset as I thought I would have been. Seeing Thome's HR would have probably made me vomit, though.