JIM THOME!!!!!!!!

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Princess Dye @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Lets not let KW off the hook. He was on The Club spewing nonsense about HRs not mattering as much anymore in this supposed new baseball landscape.

It wasnt just Ozzie forcing his hand on this. KW had opportunities to get Thome....Branyan, Cust etc.

He got Pierre and bought into this no power/no walks nonsense as well.

Kenny is just as guilty. He let the inmates run the asylum. NL style baseball in the AL, sure looks like a winner. Keep lefty grindy crapy hitters away from Guillen.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Those top of 9th and 10th were extremely long innings though. I remarked in the game thread that the first pitch to start the 10th was only 92 mph to Young.

Yeah, I saw that. I also saw most people very excited that we were running Matt out there again for the 10th.

I can only imagine the reaction had we gone with someone else there and that guy would have blown it.

We didn't get it done. No one can save a damn game for us right now. It's really inexplicable and I don't know what else to say about it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:48 PM)
I really hope the Twins do well in the posteason so I don't have to read a lot of these comments on here about how Twins shouldn't be taken seriously cause they suck in postseason. I don't really care how they do in the postseason, because if they make the postseason, then they beat us in the standings and that's all that matters to me.

The Twins have the best offense in baseball. They will likely at least make the ALCS this year if there starting pitching holds up. And your right I could careless about their post season early exits. At least they make more often than not.

QUOTE (stretchstretch @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:47 PM)
the shame of it is, in the playoffs NY will put Cano about 50 ft into right field and Thome will ground out to him about 5 times and go hitless in three games

As bad as it feels to say this... if the twins make it and play the yanks again, I will be a yankee fan for the ALDS. I think I hate the twins more than I hate the red sox now.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
Bolt, you know the DH position won't make or break the Sox.

Unfortunately tonight, it did not. People are forgetting that Kotsay had a great game tonight. Not that Thome wouldn't have made a difference over the course of the season, but for tonight, Rongey is correct - it was the pitching that lost it for us.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:51 AM)
Yeah, I saw that. I also saw most people very excited that we were running Matt out there again for the 10th.

I can only imagine the reaction had we gone with someone else there and that guy would have blown it.

We didn't get it done. No one can save a damn game for us right now. It's really inexplicable and I don't know what else to say about it.

Yep, the only real move I'm mad Ozzie made was not PH for Kotsay with bases loaded. I thought he managed very well besides that. The Twins are playing now like we did a few months ago. They're just a sensational team, end of story.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Those top of 9th and 10th were extremely long innings though. I remarked in the game thread that the first pitch to start the 10th was only 92 mph to Young.

the pitch to thome was also 92.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
That bomb put Thome in a tie for first on the all-time walk-off HR list.

He's so unclutch. I really can't understand why the Sox don't dominate the Twins. Gardenhire is so handcuffed. His DH can't play the field. I wonder if the show "The Club" gets Thome's blood moving a little quicker. It always has the JR quote "It doesn't matter what we feel about him, its about winning" in the into. They were talking about him.

It is a must the Sox get at least one of the next two.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
I don’t have a problem with Thornton being in the game. I have a problem with him throwing Thome’s kind of pitch in Thome’s wheelhouse. That’s a troubling piece of pitch sequencing.

Actually, if Thornton would have had his good fastball, there is no way Thome even sniffs it. Apparently he just did not have it when he went back out there for the 10th.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:55 PM)
I don’t have a problem with Thornton being in the game. I have a problem with him throwing Thome’s kind of pitch in Thome’s wheelhouse. That’s a troubling piece of pitch sequencing.

He was probably in too long, and you lose some command and some stuff, but the other options were just as ugly.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:57 PM)
Actually, if Thornton would have had his good fastball, there is no way Thome even sniffs it. Apparently he just did not have it when he went back out there for the 10th.

I’d agree with that. You add 5 more MPH’s to that fastball and Thome gives you a big swing with no dice. I still don’t like the location though.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:57 PM)
He's so unclutch. I really can't understand why the Sox don't dominate the Twins. Gardenhire is so handcuffed. His DH can't play the field. I wonder if the show "The Club" gets Thome's blood moving a little quicker. It always has the JR quote "It doesn't matter what we feel about him, its about winning" in the into. They were talking about him.

It is a must the Sox get at least one of the next two.

Very good point.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)

I agree with you except this part which is false. Other than Badger, few of the posters were surprised that Thornton was back out there for that inning in the game thread. Not saying I didn't agree with it or did (other than Matt's low velocity I thought they still would have pitched Thome better and BTW we have poorly scouted Jim whom we should know his weaknesses that game) but just throwing that out there.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
I’d agree with that. You add 5 more MPH’s to that fastball and Thome gives you a big swing with no dice. I still don’t like the location though.

High fastball, Thome doesn't touch. Low fastball, Thome touches. Same as slow stuff up and away he hits, slow stuff down and away he doesn't. Simple.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

Thome's a Hall of Famer.

He's a gamer.

Of course his adrenaline flows against us. We were lucky when he went to the Dodgers; we were f***ed when he went to the Twins.

Crede would have been doing this to us as well if his back hadn't been broke.