JIM THOME!!!!!!!!

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
The one question I have is why are we pitching to his strengths? Everyone knows Thome cant hit high inside or outside heat, yet we pitch him low and away and low and in. It makes no sense.

This team doesn't look at stats, trends, or anything for that matter. It's all about Ozzie's gut.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
This team doesn't look at stats, trends, or anything for that matter. It's all about Ozzie's gut.

a response from MG regarding that point:

He was aware of the numbers but thought it was too early to make a move

--------------------------

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Handheld

----- Original Message -----

To: Gonzales, Mark

Sent: Tue Aug 17 21:04:54 2010

Subject: QUESTION

Why don't you ask Ozzie why he lets Kotsay hit against Perkins with the

bases juiced? He's 0-22 against LHP this season and only slightly better

with RISP.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 11:38 AM)
I assume he meant too early in the game, which is a bizarre reason. I would have at least understood if he said "because Kotsay was crushing the ball so far in that game" or something.

Yeah I know what he meant but we're still treating him like some triple crown threat. It's insane.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:43 PM)
This is a 6 out of 10 for me on the frustration scale. The Sunday game after the ASB, where Jenks blew it, was a 10 out of 10.

Imagine being at the Sunday game after the ASB.

I expected the Sox to blow this somehow. It's like every single game against Minnesota is scripted, and it's like the Sox are playing baseball like it's April and May again, and the Twins are playing like the Sox were in June and July. It's hard to beat a team that is playing that well.

(but it's not impossible)

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
Imagine being at the Sunday game after the ASB.

I expected the Sox to blow this somehow. It's like every single game against Minnesota is scripted, and it's like the Sox are playing baseball like it's April and May again, and the Twins are playing like the Sox were in June and July. It's hard to beat a team that is playing that well.

(but it's not impossible)

Ha, that's perfect.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 11:17 AM)
The one question I have is why are we pitching to his strengths? Everyone knows Thome cant hit high inside or outside heat, yet we pitch him low and away and low and in. It makes no sense.

Only Ozzie can answer your question.

But last night's debacle would have been easier for me to handle if it had been ANY Twinkie other than Thome. When Big Frank was with Oakland, before a then-crucial series out there, Ozzie stated repeatedly, "Whatever happens, we won't let Frank Thomas beat us." I don't remember the exact circumstances, but we pitched to him--I believe it was Jenks-- with 1st base open and men on. Those belt-high fastballs have yet to land, and cost us the games.

As I said earlier, this is the karma of the wide world of sports and I have been both expecting and dreading this day since Soxfest. Frank's departure had a karmic stench around it, and most of it came from the Sox--KW in particular. Same with Thome, except ALL of the bad karma came from the Sox.

Ignore it it at your own peril.....

Edited by 11and1

QUOTE (11and1 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 05:21 PM)

But last night's debacle would have been easier for me to handle if it had been ANY Twinkie other than Thome. When Big Frank was with Oakland, before a then-crucial series out there, Ozzie stated repeatedly, "Whatever happens, we won't let Frank Thomas beat us." I don't remember the exact circumstances, but we pitched to him--I believe it was Jenks-- with 1st base open and men on. Those belt-high fastballs have yet to land, and cost us the games.

As I said earlier, this is the karma of the wide world of sports and I have been both expecting and dreading this day simce Soxfest. Frank's departure had a karmic stench around it, and most of it came from the Sox--KW in particular. Same with Thome, except ALL of the bad karma came from the Sox.

Don't forget...if I had to name the biggest White Sox killers of the last 15-20 years...#1 on that list would be a certain former Indians 1b. The only teams he's put up a higher career OPS against than the Sox are the Cardinals and Phillies in limited AB's...and the Tigers.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
Don't forget...if I had to name the biggest White Sox killers of the last 15-20 years...#1 on that list would be a certain former Indians 1b. The only teams he's put up a higher career OPS against than the Sox are the Cardinals and Phillies in limited AB's...and the Tigers.

Exactly. Ozzie seems to ignore or not have that little voice that says "Don't do it."

QUOTE (11and1 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)

But last night's debacle would have been easier for me to handle if it had been ANY Twinkie other than Thome.

Honestly, if we had to lose that way, I'm glad it was Thome that did it to us. It was like Thome was figuratively pissing on Ozzie's face.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 05:35 PM)
Honestly, if we had to lose that way, I'm glad it was Thome that did it to us. It was like Thome was figuratively pissing on Ozzie's face.

I'm just not sure that I feel like Ozzie is all that peeved about the Twins passing us and beating us senseless right now. He spends half his time praising them and then feels compelled to remind everyone that he hates the twins as soon as their on the field because people are starting to wonder.

There sure hasn't been any outside sign of him being annoyed with how any of this has gone down. He's got spanish language interpreters to worry about.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
I'm just not sure that I feel like Ozzie is all that peeved about the Twins passing us and beating us senseless right now. He spends half his time praising them and then feels compelled to remind everyone that he hates the twins as soon as their on the field because people are starting to wonder.

There sure hasn't been any outside sign of him being annoyed with how any of this has gone down.

He's been their biggest cheerleader for years. Ever since he handed them the "Piranhas" nickname and sense of identity on a silver platter. Bizarre from a guy who hates literally everybody else.

Maybe, in his mind, it's a kind of excuse for getting owned by them for most of his managerial career.

Edited by 11and1

QUOTE (11and1 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)

As I said earlier, this is the karma of the wide world of sports and I have been both expecting and dreading this day since Soxfest. Frank's departure had a karmic stench around it, and most of it came from the Sox--KW in particular. Same with Thome, except ALL of the bad karma came from the Sox.

Once again, he doesnt call the pitches, so why would he have the answer to that question?

Do you guys think Ozzie is some sort of God that makes ALL decisions every game?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:31 PM)
CSN just played a clip of Ozzie going off about the Thome situation. He basically said the only people who think we need Thome is fans, radio broadcasters, and newspaper writers. But this team doesn't need Jim Thome, so f*** off and don't watch White Sox baseball......

:huh:

What a f***ing idiot. He needs to get canned.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
Once again, he doesnt call the pitches, so why would he have the answer to that question?

Do you guys think Ozzie is some sort of God that makes ALL decisions every game?

He doesn't call the pitches, but he is ultimately responsible for making sure his pitchers and catchers know what pitch to call. And my point was that Ozzie is primarily responsible for Thome being a Twinkie.

If he was a God we'd have clinched the division by now.

Ozzie is an idiot. No need to throw Thome under the bus...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...-departure.html

"I'm not afraid," Guillen said. "I can care less what people think. We're in second place. When Jim Thome was here, we finished third three times out of four years (actually two third-place finishes and one fourth-place ending). We went to one playoff because he hit a home run to go to the playoffs.

QUOTE (bighurt574 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:44 PM)
Ozzie is an idiot. No need to throw Thome under the bus...

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/...-departure.html

"I'm not afraid," Guillen said. "I can care less what people think. We're in second place. When Jim Thome was here, we finished third three times out of four years (actually two third-place finishes and one fourth-place ending). We went to one playoff because he hit a home run to go to the playoffs.

A little fear would do Ozzie good. Watch Thome beat us again tonight......