This post will not be popular

sin city sox fan

After seeing the reaction of White Sox fans over the last week and a half, I hate to say it......but we don't deserve a World Series title.

Good fans support their team through thick and than. Good fans have confidence in their teams at all times. Good fans convey that confidence onto the team and inspire them to achieve positive results. The White Sox fan base is just the opposite of this at this point in the season.

Tonite, the Twins blew a four run lead and than blew a one run lead. If we did that in a game, a high majority of our fan base would give up on the game. Compare this to what Minnesota fans did tonite. They went into the bottom of the 10th confident that their team would come back from the first deficit of the game and the team accomplished the task.

Every team is going to have some bad losses during the season. Every team is going to blow some games during the season. Get real people...there are 162 games in the season and no team has ever come close to going 162-0.

It's how we react to a bad AB, a bad inning, a bad game, or a bad week that makes this team winners or losers. And if you don't think the fan base plays a part in that reaction, you are definitely mistaken.

The negativity of this fan base has to end if we are to ever win another World Series....not just in this season, but anytime in the foreseeable future.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:54 AM)
The negativity of this fan base has to end if we are to ever win another World Series....not just in this season, but anytime in the foreseeable future.

You obviously didn't see all the choke avatars on this site during September of 2005...and keep saying every team has bad losses like this if it makes you feel better. 6 horrible blown saves since the ASB, as well as a few losses when tied in the opponents last AB. That's more than some teams have all year.

You're right, it won't be popular, because it's stupid. Change has to come from the top, and Sox fans won't stop being cynical until they are conditioned to expect victory instead of defeat. Its the Sox that don't deserve a WS, not the fans, because there have been some very poor decisions made over the last couple of offseasons that could have easily remedied the problems plaguing the team.

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:00 AM)
You're right, it won't be popular, because it's stupid. Change has to come from the top, and Sox fans won't stop being cynical until they are conditioned to expect victory instead of defeat. Its the Sox that don't deserve a WS, not the fans, because there have been some very poor decisions made over the last couple of offseasons that could have easily remedied the problems plaguing the team.

This is so true! How's the return on the investment in the trades for Swisher and Javy coming along KW?

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
After seeing the reaction of White Sox fans over the last week and a half, I hate to say it......but we don't deserve a World Series title.

Good fans support their team through thick and than. Good fans have confidence in their teams at all times. Good fans convey that confidence onto the team and inspire them to achieve positive results. The White Sox fan base is just the opposite of this at this point in the season.

Tonite, the Twins blew a four run lead and than blew a one run lead. If we did that in a game, a high majority of our fan base would give up on the game. Compare this to what Minnesota fans did tonite. They went into the bottom of the 10th confident that their team would come back from the first deficit of the game and the team accomplished the task.

Every team is going to have some bad losses during the season. Every team is going to blow some games during the season. Get real people...there are 162 games in the season and no team has ever come close to going 162-0.

It's how we react to a bad AB, a bad inning, a bad game, or a bad week that makes this team winners or losers. And if you don't think the fan base plays a part in that reaction, you are definitely mistaken.

Also if someone comes with their hairy friends and wants to get into the park, for the love of god let them in.

2goats.jpg

This is the most ridiculous post I've seen yet tonight.

Maybe if the fans of the Cubs, Royals and Pirates were just more optimistic and held out even more hope and optimism, those teams would all get to the World Series.

Maybe if the American people are all just more optimistic, it will turn the entire country around. Let's conveniently forget for one second that only 59% of eligible American males are currently employed...

These are professional athletes making millions to play a kids' game. Did the Florida Marlins need to sell out game after game in 1997 and 2003 to have success? Perhaps the fact that those Marlins teams, or the Rays five years later...seemed to get so little support, it drove them in their desire to prove their detractors wrong.

Ozzie's always saying the White Sox don't get enough support. Supporting a 4-20 mark against Minnesota after the ASB the last three years is like Cubs' fans dutifully sending their season ticket renewal packages back and hoping they'll actually win the World Series.

The current White Sox model of running the organization is broken. It has to be changed, because insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...what's even more insane is making the plan to DH Jones and Kotsay, 75% of elementary school students could have identified that as a problem, or DeWayne Wise leading off and starting in CF last year.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 11:53 PM)
This is one of the most ridiculous post threads I've seen yet tonight. in soxtalk history.

Fixed... and I've seen my share of them the 6 years (7 lurking) that I've been here.

Edited by J.Reedfan8

QUOTE (daggins @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:00 PM)
You're right, it won't be popular, because it's stupid.

No need to go any farther. That says it all.

The Dr. Phil mentality is great for Little League but not for professional sports.

It's odd that when a team plays poorly, fans tend to attack each other.

The whole fans behind a team is a crock of s***. The Indianapolis Colts have the best road record since this century. They must bus all of their fans to away games.

I'm sure Jackie Robnson at one time rarely had fan support.

On the other hand we fans take sports too seriously. It gets even more uncivil in soccer.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 17, 2010 -> 10:53 PM)
The current White Sox model of running the organization is broken. It has to be changed, because insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...what's even more insane is making the plan to DH Jones and Kotsay, 75% of elementary school students could have identified that as a problem, or DeWayne Wise leading off and starting in CF last year.

Shhh...that will fuel those who believe the Rowand for Thome trade was the worst ever.

QUOTE (sin city sox fan @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:54 AM)

Some of the more vicious posts on here -- the utterly hysterical reactions of posters to any adversity in the past month — actually have made me take losses better. I sometimes feel like we do not deserve it like you stated.

I sort of agree with your post. My definition of a good fan does not jibe with what I've been reading on here for some time.

I've tried to stop reading the game threads cause those are the worst. The others are usually OK.

I mean I feel we are not going to win the division, but some of the wild posts on here the last month, wow. Venom.

I'm getting so sick of the Hawk wannabees around here. Look, back in April when everyone was freaking out, I was the main person telling everyone to CALM THE f*** DOWN! The season is young. But it's not young anymore. We've got just over 40 games to go. And there's a very disturbing (more like frightening) trend occurring that looks awfully familiar. Other than 2008 (I don't count 2005. The Twins were never in it), whenever it's come down to us and the Twins, we get a mandingo sized dildo shoved up our asses. And even '08 happened because we got a home game we didn't deserve. And what really scares the s*** outta me is that the Twins are clearly better than us without Nathan for the whole year and Morneau for the last 5 weeks. What if those two were healthy? It'd already be over. The gap between us and the Twins is widening. And this organization just seems like it's running in quicksand.

I'm pissed off because I care so damn much about this team. Don't tell me I don't deserve to see a World Series because I care too damn much. And Certainly don't tell me that I don't support my team because I'm angry about moves that would have made them better.

Your post makes no f***in sense, just because someone is pissed off or negative doesn't mean that they don't support or care about this f***in team.

I think his post makes sense in he's saying because of the utter venom on here this year we really don't deserve a title. I don't know about message boards of other teams, but wow ... this one is NEGATIVE. Even when we were 25-5 it was ultra negative. Weird. It's the economy, baby.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 01:06 AM)
I think his post makes sense in he's saying because of the utter venom on here this year we really don't deserve a title. I don't know about message boards of other teams, but wow ... this one is NEGATIVE. Even when we were 25-5 it was ultra negative. Weird. It's the economy, baby.

That's something else that pisses me off. It's quite clear that more than half this board follows ONLY the Sox and knows little to nothing about baseball away from the Sox. You want venom? Go to ANY Red Sox Board. It's not even close.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:06 AM)

The ONLY negative thing that was talked about during that stretch was how would we fare against the AL teams.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:41 AM)
I'm getting so sick of the Hawk wannabees around here. Look, back in April when everyone was freaking out, I was the main person telling everyone to CALM THE f*** DOWN! The season is young. But it's not young anymore. We've got just over 40 games to go. And there's a very disturbing (more like frightening) trend occurring that looks awfully familiar. Other than 2008 (I don't count 2005. The Twins were never in it), whenever it's come down to us and the Twins, we get a mandingo sized dildo shoved up our asses. And even '08 happened because we got a home game we didn't deserve. And what really scares the s*** outta me is that the Twins are clearly better than us without Nathan for the whole year and Morneau for the last 5 weeks. What if those two were healthy? It'd already be over. The gap between us and the Twins is widening. And this organization just seems like it's running in quicksand.

So, so true. :lolhitting

Maybe if this second-half fade didn't happen every goddamned year I'd be more optimistic.

Maybe if the Sox didn't seem to fold up like origami against the Twins every year I'd be more optimistic.

Maybe if the Sox weren't a .500 team against the American League this season I'd be more optimistic.

I was pessimistic (although surprised they were winning like that) during the magical 25-5 run because I saw how many bad teams the Sox were beating during that stretch.

Tigers, Cubs twice, Pirates, Nationals, Royals twice.

Yes, they also beat some good teams during that run, but 15 of those 25 wins came against the teams I listed.

Maybe I'm a horrible negative fan, but I don't see a championship team on the South Side this year at all. I'll happily eat those words if they somehow win it, but I really don't see it happening.

WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR, as one team's super-optimistic awesome fanbase always says!

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:12 AM)
Maybe if this second-half fade didn't happen every goddamned year I'd be more optimistic.

Maybe if the Sox didn't seem to fold up like origami against the Twins every year I'd be more optimistic.

Maybe if the Sox weren't a .500 team against the American League this season I'd be more optimistic.

I was pessimistic (although surprised they were winning like that) during the magical 25-5 run because I saw how many bad teams the Sox were beating during that stretch.

Tigers, Cubs twice, Pirates, Nationals, Royals twice.

Yes, they also beat some good teams during that run, but 15 of those 25 wins came against the teams I listed.

Maybe I'm a horrible negative fan, but I don't see a championship team on the South Side this year at all. I'll happily eat those words if they somehow win it, but I really don't see it happening.

WAIT TIL NEXT YEAR, as one team's super-optimistic awesome fanbase always says!

The head to head records (4-9 against Minnesota, 4-8 against CLE, barely above .500 versus KC) in the ALCD are evidence enough.

At the height of our streak, we really wiped out the Braves, and I thought it was going to be possible to pull it off...but that series after the break up there in Minnesota where we lost 3/4 and coughed up most of the division lead from the ASB, then the blown game in Seattle when we'd put a nice rally together and manufactured a run, that was the beginning of the end.

We've gone through four more bullpen implosions in the span of little more than a week. Very few teams can survive that in August, unless they have a lead like the Sox did in 2000 and 2005.

Whether or not the Sox can get their s*** together and win another World Series has little or nothing to do with the fans. The team has to start playing better (now!) for them to even have a chance. Us fans here on SoxTalk improving our attitudes and reducing our negativity will do nothing to make the team play better. Do we really think that Alex Rios will go running into the locker room saying, "Hey, the guys on SoxTalk are really pulling for us! Let's win some games, man!"

I often get annoyed when the mood gets very negative on here too, but it's hard to say anything after last night. There were just too many factors to overlook. The division race, the Twins again, the bullpen again, the whole Thome saga. I don't see how you can get on people for reacting to last night's loss.

On the bright side, it only counts as one loss. The Sox still have a chance to win two and really nobody expected to win more than one in MN, so if they can can come away with one we still have a race on our hands.