Not having Jenks is killing the Sox

Lemon_44

Alot of people couldn't wait for Jenks to lose his closers role but him being unavailable has wrecked the bullpen. Jenks had 3 blown saves all year and the bullpen has has blown the last 3 straight without him. Like him ,or not, Jenks needs to be in that closers role and when he's pitching well the Sox are very tough to beat. Players are creatures of habit and not having Jenks has disrupted everybody's role. The Sox picked their spots with Santos, had Putz for the 7th, Thornton for the 8th , and Jenks closing it out. That bullpen was the best in baseball and shut down the game. Now Putz has struggled outside the 7th,and we saw THornton last night extended last night. Santos has still pitched well. Look at the Sox record since Jenks was lost compared to when he was unhittable for about 5 weeks. I think losing him has been the 2nd half demise of this team.

Is that you Greg?

Kidding aside, I agree that the bullpen has been struggling with some of the guys pitching outside of their comfort zones. But the issues with this team of late go deeper than just not having Jenks to close games. He was struggling, too, and that's why he was lifted from the role...a couple times.

This team is not good right now, and unless they can right the ship against the Twins right now it won't matter if Jenks is the closer or not.

Yes, not having a good Jenks is killing the Sox.

Not having the bad Jenks...isn't all that different.

Once again, since people keep citing this BS stat, I have to point out...Bobby Jenks did not take the blown save in the game against the Twins where the first 5 batters to face him reached. Sergio Santos took the blown save there, but everyone in their right mind could tell that was Bobby's fault.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:26 AM)
Having Jenks was also killing the Sox.

Bobby Jenks:

Day Games: .329/.402/.479./882 9.18 ERA 1.920 WHIP

Night games: .226/.294/.290/.584 2.16 ERA 1.200 WHIP

Maybe if we had a manager that paid attention to things like this and statistics in general we could have used him more effectively.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:07 AM)
Yes, not having a good Jenks is killing the Sox.

Not having the bad Jenks...isn't all that different.

Once again, since people keep citing this BS stat, I have to point out...Bobby Jenks did not take the blown save in the game against the Twins where the first 5 batters to face him reached. Sergio Santos took the blown save there, but everyone in their right mind could tell that was Bobby's fault.

Fantastic post.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
Bobby Jenks:

Maybe if we had a manager that paid attention to things like this and statistics in general we could have used him more effectively.

That's just such a ridiculous stat though...what manager on earth is going to say "Bobby, you're my closer in night games, Matt, you're closing day games".

Do you genuinely think that stat would hold up if Bobby only pitched night games?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 09:17 AM)
That's just such a ridiculous stat though...what manager on earth is going to say "Bobby, you're my closer in night games, Matt, you're closing day games".

Do you genuinely think that stat would hold up if Bobby only pitched night games?

After the 3rd or 4th blown save in day games I would consider giving him a breather.

Bobby Jenks will be back Wed probably, but it seems when things go bad they really go bad. Every relief pitcher we have used to close has discovered a way to give up a homer to lose the game. I am not sure I would call it a melt down but obviously it is ugly. Our offense tries to come back but how many bases loaded or runner in scoring position with less than 2 outs have they failed in recently? We have chances to really break open a game an can''t deliver only to see our bullpen blow another one. That is the obvious and all I can say is there is still time left to turn it around and I don't see any crying from the players, which is good.

QUOTE (sircaffey @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 09:56 AM)
Then he'd still be closing in day games because Bobby has blown 2 saves during day games.

Plus that game against the Twins that he got annihilated in but Santos technically was awarded the blown save.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
Bobby Jenks:

Or he's just not stupid enough to put any validity into those stupid stats.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)

Apparently anyone who puts stock in a stat like that is stupid.

What exactly is so stupid about it, anyway? It's been shown that certain players perform differently in day and night games.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)

What exactly is so stupid about it, anyway? It's been shown that certain players perform differently in day and night games.

Because those numbers should be nothing but coincidental. L/R splits makes sense. Home/Road splits even mean something to some degree. But Day/Night really doesn't hold any weight.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)

9.18 ERA and 1.920 WHIP

vs

2.16 ERA and 1.200 WHIP

Why are these stupid stats? Some players, and people in general, are not day people. There have been numerous examples of players not wanting to play for the Cubs over the years because they play so many day games. Some people stay up very late, drink booze, and do whatever and are completely useless during the day. Maybe Bobby is one of those people because those splits are staggering.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)
Because those numbers should be nothing but coincidental. L/R splits makes sense. Home/Road splits even mean something to some degree. But Day/Night really doesn't hold any weight.

Partiers? Off of the top of my head, that is just one legitimate reason for its validity.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:01 PM)

In 4 of his 5 full seasons, his ERA has been higher during the day than at night. In the last 2 seasons, the difference has been over 3.20 in 2009, and 7.00 higher in 2010. How does that not hold any weight?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
In 4 of his 5 full seasons, his ERA has been higher during the day than at night. In the last 2 seasons, the difference has been over 3.20 in 2009, and 7.00 higher in 2010. How does that not hold any weight?

It doesn't support a preconceived notion, I imagine.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)

Find me any manager, in the history of baseball, who used Day/Night splits to judge playing time. Find me a concrete example and I will bow down.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:38 PM)
Find me any manager, in the history of baseball, who used Day/Night splits to judge playing time. Find me a concrete example and I will bow down.

I will bet you there have been more than a few times where some player has wound up on the bench for a game or two because he decided to pull a Miguel Cabrera the night before. But if there's any serious connection between that kind of behavior and those splits, the answer is not to turn your back on the behavior and only use the player in night games...it's to either get him help or get rid of him if he refuses.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
Partiers? Off of the top of my head, that is just one legitimate reason for its validity.

Ya, but didn't Bobby quit drinking?

Those stats remind me of BobDylan's legendary Gordon Beckham sucks in the day thread.