Not having Jenks is killing the Sox

Lemon_44

QUOTE (J.Reedfan8 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
Ya, but didn't Bobby quit drinking?

Those stats remind me of BobDylan's legendary Gordon Beckham sucks in the day thread.

I have a hard time believing that to be the case, and if he did, he substituted food for the alcohol.

And I know this looks like a "Jenks is a fatass" post, but that man looks heavier and heavier with each passing season. There has to be something to that.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:50 PM)
I have a hard time believing that to be the case, and if he did, he substituted food for the alcohol.

And I know this looks like a "Jenks is a fatass" post, but that man looks heavier and heavier with each passing season. There has to be something to that.

Maybe he is a vegetarian.. :ph34r:

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 02:38 PM)
Find me any manager, in the history of baseball, who used Day/Night splits to judge playing time. Find me a concrete example and I will bow down.

I'm not saying that Ozzie should never pitch Bobby during day games. Carlos Quentin has basically been a worthless hitter on the road this season (.187/.271/.379). You can't just only play him at home and bench him for entire road trips either. However, it doesn't mean those stats can't be taken into consideration, and it doesn't mean that Bobby's day/night splits just happened by blind luck.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
And that makes the stat useless?

Me personally, I don't think I'm smarter than every GM/Manager in the game. I know that's not the case with some people here, but if its never ever ever been used (because its stupid and coincidental) then I'd go with that "stat" more than some stupid "HE HITS .750 IN DAY GAMES ON THE 3RD FRIDAY OF EVERY MONTH" stat.

Alexei has horrific April/May's. Should we not play him till June every year?

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Me personally, I don't think I'm smarter than every GM/Manager in the game. I know that's not the case with some people here, but if its never ever ever been used (because its stupid and coincidental) then I'd go with that "stat" more than some stupid "HE HITS .750 IN DAY GAMES ON THE 3RD FRIDAY OF EVERY MONTH" stat.

Alexei has horrific April/May's. Should we not play him till June every year?

No but knowing his day/night splits could have come in handy in that Tigers series where he saved the game on 08/04 at night and then blew it big time the very next day in an afternoon game. Ozzie could have just trotted someone else out without really explaining why or just left Putz in and we could have avoided another day game disaster from Bobby. He continually sucks in day games so why completely ignore that fact. It was even pointed out that he's done that in most of his career. It's not like he's an everyday player like Alexei. There aren't that many day games on our schedule so it wouldn't be that difficult to avoid using him in those situations.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
Bobby Jenks:

Day Games: .329/.402/.479./882 9.18 ERA 1.920 WHIP

Night games: .226/.294/.290/.584 2.16 ERA 1.200 WHIP

Maybe if we had a manager that paid attention to things like this and statistics in general we could have used him more effectively.

Reminds me of Miguel Cabrera's splits last season.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 12:36 PM)
Alot of people couldn't wait for Jenks to lose his closers role but him being unavailable has wrecked the bullpen. Jenks had 3 blown saves all year and the bullpen has has blown the last 3 straight without him. Like him ,or not, Jenks needs to be in that closers role and when he's pitching well the Sox are very tough to beat. Players are creatures of habit and not having Jenks has disrupted everybody's role. The Sox picked their spots with Santos, had Putz for the 7th, Thornton for the 8th , and Jenks closing it out. That bullpen was the best in baseball and shut down the game. Now Putz has struggled outside the 7th,and we saw THornton last night extended last night. Santos has still pitched well. Look at the Sox record since Jenks was lost compared to when he was unhittable for about 5 weeks. I think losing him has been the 2nd half demise of this team.

A lot of people on here who wanted Putz, who demanded Putz close, have been mighty silent during his suckage.

This board is not gonna be a fun place the next two evenings. The Twinks are having a week long party at our expense.

Cowley's tweet was true. Twins > Sox Yankees > Twins and everybody in Central watching football two weeks after the season.

The fact that Putz blew it after being given the ball does not change or absolve the fact that Bobby was absolutely terrible except for a few weeks in June, and doesn't mean it wasn't the correct decision. Putz's stats were murdering Bobby's in every category you can come up with and he had been a successful closer in the not too distant past.

I haven't talked about it because it's a predictable, very annoying, and at times just plain asinine discussion to be honest.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 10:34 PM)
The fact that Putz blew it after being given the ball does not change or absolve the fact that Bobby was absolutely terrible except for a few weeks in June, and doesn't mean it wasn't the correct decision. Putz's stats were murdering Bobby's in every category you can come up with and he had been a successful closer in the not too distant past.

I haven't talked about it because it's a predictable, very annoying, and at times just plain asinine discussion to be honest.

It also was annoying for me in standing up for Jenks and getting brutalized.

I still say it's all bad karma coming back to bite all of us. All of you that wanted Putz got it shoved in your face; the 2 of us who wanted Bobby got it shoved in our face; and those who love Thornton got owned last night. Twins get last laugh; we get to watch the Bears.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:38 PM)

I still say it's all bad karma coming back to bite all of us. All of you that wanted Putz got it shoved in your face; the 2 of us who wanted Bobby got it shoved in our face; and those who love Thornton got owned last night. Twins get last laugh; we get to watch the Bears.

Frankly the only one responsible for that is greg775. This is why we're taught as kids not to play on the train tracks, and you don't get mad at the conductor later after the train runs you over. Different people tried in different ways to tell you this but you weren't trying to hear it.

Just like you said, it was annoying... right? So... yeah. I'm being quiet about it, the exact opposite of what you were doing. What's there to say? Putz sucked. You want me to say more? Why?

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 05:38 PM)

And they get to watch the Vikings, who with #4 back, are gonna be greatly favored to do better than the Bears.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 10:41 PM)
Frankly the only one responsible for that is greg775. This is why we're taught as kids not to play on the train tracks, and you don't get mad at the conductor later after the train runs you over. Different people tried in different ways to tell you this but you weren't trying to hear it.

Just like you said, it was annoying... right? So... yeah. I'm being quiet about it, the exact opposite of what you were doing. What's there to say? Putz sucked. You want me to say more? Why?

For the same reason people talk about Kotsay and Ozzie ad nauseum. It all gets beaten to death, not just the Jenks topic.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 04:11 PM)
No but knowing his day/night splits could have come in handy in that Tigers series where he saved the game on 08/04 at night and then blew it big time the very next day in an afternoon game. Ozzie could have just trotted someone else out without really explaining why or just left Putz in and we could have avoided another day game disaster from Bobby. He continually sucks in day games so why completely ignore that fact. It was even pointed out that he's done that in most of his career. It's not like he's an everyday player like Alexei. There aren't that many day games on our schedule so it wouldn't be that difficult to avoid using him in those situations.

Well said. And just because it isn't mentioned as a reason, that doesn't mean it isn't taken into consideration by managers.