Sox @ Twins SLUMPBUSTER SPECIAL THREAD 9/18

Steve9347

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
or calling the pitches, however somehow the last 3 losses are all his fault.

Giving away outs. If he would stop, the bullpen (which has kept us as close as we are almost all season) wouldn't be in that position so often, so yes, he's helping us lose games.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 07:03 PM)
or calling the pitches, however somehow the last 3 losses are all his fault.

I don’t remember saying that. I do remember Ozzie telling me not to watch my favorite team (The Chicago “f***ing” White Sox) because I disagree with a personnel move that he abdicated for.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:08 PM)
Giving away outs. If he would stop, the bullpen (which has kept us as close as we are almost all season) wouldn't be in that position so often, so yes, he's helping us lose games.

What does giving away outs have to do with the bullpen blowing games?

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)
If he hadn't given away so many outs, we would have scored more runs, giving the bullpen a larger cushion.

Totally. The 13 times that Juan Pierre sacrifice bunted, if he had let him swing away, I'm sure he would have hit a homer and more runs would have scored. Same thing with AJ's 6 sac bunts and his .247 average. 25% of the time Pierre has been caught stealing, but how many times has he been able to score on a single from 2nd because he stole a base. But I guess if they didn't risk that, Rios or Paulie would have knocked him in with a double anyway, so whats the point. When runners get caught trying to advance a base, thats all Ozzie's fault too.

Pierre's stealing at a rate that makes him roughly a wash, but other than him and Andruw Jones of all people, every other player's SB rate is below the league average of 73%. And sac bunts are not good. Even with AJP's .277 OBP (note: Ozzie should start Castro more), .277>.000. Outs are a limited commodity. You get 27 in a game, 3 at a time to score as many runs as possible, and giving them away through sac bunts is not productive.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:32 PM)
Pierre's stealing at a rate that makes him roughly a wash, but other than him and Andruw Jones of all people, every other player's SB rate is below the league average of 73%. And sac bunts are not good. Even with AJP's .277 OBP (note: Ozzie should start Castro more), .277>.000. Outs are a limited commodity. You get 27 in a game, 3 at a time to score as many runs as possible, and giving them away through sac bunts is not productive.

you should be a manager.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 07:30 PM)
Im pretty sure Ozzie is the only manager in the majors that uses the sac bunt, so he is the only manager giving away outs

He has done it more than any manager in the American League (t-1st SH)

Edited by MattZakrowski

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:06 PM)
Yeah, he’s just the man deciding who is. I guess if I have a problem with that stuff too, I should probably stop watching the White Sox.

Everyone he puts out there in the 9th, they lose it. How is that his fault?

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)
We're 28th out of 30 teams in outs given up.

Yeah Sqwert...ur sig told us that already. Thanks for the update. I'm so sick of people talking about Ozzie giving up outs. The big games we've lost all season and especially lately have nothing to do with giving up outs.

How about the fact that it doesn't matter who we put out there in the 9th everyone on this site and all other die hard Sox fan gets that "sick" feeling. We have a good staff and an average bullpen, with the lack of a shut em down closer. The team is aware of this as well, and to take words from Hawk's mouth "everyone's sphincter tightens up" in the late innings. Liney and few others are obv simply there to fill roster spots, while the likes of Santos, Sale and even Thorton are not established relievers that strike fear into the Twins or any other MLB club.

QUOTE (MattZakrowski @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
I wouldn't know where to find that for individual teams, TBH.

then how can you be so sure that giving up those outs didnt help the team? You would almost have to break them down game by game to see how many runs the Sox won by, how the situation played out, etc. before you can state "we are tied for first in outs given up and thats why ozzie sucks" and be right.

Its ugly when it doesnt work, I know. But if it didnt help, then nobody would do it. And saying swing away for every out you have doesnt always work when your team has players like Konerko who can roll into a double play faster than a blink of an eye.

Its frustrating to see every armchair manager point out every single thing and act like Ozzie is the only one that does it, because he doesnt.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 18, 2010 -> 08:05 PM)
then how can you be so sure that giving up those outs didnt help the team? You would almost have to break them down game by game to see how many runs the Sox won by, how the situation played out, etc. before you can state "we are tied for first in outs given up and thats why ozzie sucks" and be right.

Its ugly when it doesnt work, I know. But if it didnt help, then nobody would do it. And saying swing away for every out you have doesnt always work when your team has players like Konerko who can roll into a double play faster than a blink of an eye.

Its frustrating to see every armchair manager point out every single thing and act like Ozzie is the only one that does it, because he doesnt.

I don't need to know how every situation worked out because I know that sacrificing outs is unproductive. And for a team that's afraid of PK rolling into DPs, we set ourselves up for that exact outcome last night with the sac bunt in the 10th.