Sox @ Royals, Sox @ Royals, 8/21 x 2

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 03:31 PM)
Don't the White Sox have any say in the matter? Who wants to start game 1 of a double header at 6 in the evening, start game 2 at around 10, then turn around and play another game at 1 in the afternoon the next day? It'll be tiring just watching that on tv.

The choice was to play a twi night DH and start before 6 having one game not televised and losing that revenue or to have a split DH, start one at noon and another at 6. I'm sure if you ask the players, they would much prefer to have it scheduled like its scheduled if they aren't willing to lose a televised game.

• Replies 961
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Supposedly major league baseball has a rule that any suspended game must be played after the next scheduled game at the earliest forcing them to play after the 6:00 game today. Playing a day game today was not an option. At least that's what I've heard.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
I'd bet money all of those guys have been on the wire already. All teams waive everyone at some point. Teams that are wanting to make moves are much more aggresive about it to mask players that could be moved.

If that was the case, then wouldn't they probably have been claimed and pulled back already? Would that prevent the Sox from being able to make a trade because if they had to re-waive these players, then they would have to be put on irrevocable waivers, which then the only responsibility that the claiming team had was to take on the player's contract? If the the first case has already happened, then basically the only thing waivers can do is provide salary relief if the Sox are 7 games out come Sunday night.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE (Elgin Slim @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 08:52 PM)
Yeah seriously. If Garcia gets shelled in game 1, we could be 7 out of first by the end of the weekend, after which we would need to seriously consider moving guys like Konerko, Vizquel, and Putz on waivers. IMO Putz is going to get a big contract this offseason, and it's not going to be from the White Sox.

I read in a book in 1967 the Sox were swept by KC in KC in September in a DH, effectively ending the season.

43 years later, the same happens tonight.

No. 43 coincidentally was the number of Gary Peters, who pitched in that DH.

MDGonzales

Guillen, on not bringing back Jackson to start game 2 and opting for Pena: "I'd rather lose a game than lose a pitcher."

Well excuse me...you can't afford to lose games now!

Season. Over.

Edited by AWhiteSoxinNJ

QUOTE (AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 04:58 PM)
Well excuse me...you can't afford to lose games now!

Season. Over.

Well, Ozzie DOES have a point, but I still think we baby the s*** out of pitchers (not just Sox, the whole league) so much. He threw 7 pitches yesterday. Yeah, I understand he had a warmup, but they have bullpen sessions during the week too. How much more of a workload could that be over the normal side sessions?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 11:03 PM)
Well, Ozzie DOES have a point, but I still think we baby the s*** out of pitchers (not just Sox, the whole league) so much. He threw 7 pitches yesterday. Yeah, I understand he had a warmup, but they have bullpen sessions during the week too. How much more of a workload could that be over the normal side sessions?

Right or wrong, this is modern baseball.

I watched a documentary last night saying there was a 16-inning game and Marichal and Koufax each pitched all 16 innings.

Now we have this. A guy can't even complete a no hitter cause of pitch counts.

If we pitch Jackson tonight and he gets hurt, which he would with our luck, no pitcher would ever pitch for the White Sox again. No agent would let his pitcher come to the south side.

Edited by greg775

We can totally afford to lose a game today...might as well make it two, right Oz? What a joke this organization is....

I hope we lose the division by one game, since, you know we can afford it....

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
We can totally afford to lose a game today...might as well make it two, right Oz? What a joke this organization is....

Why doesn't Sale start? Was he a starter in the minors?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 05:30 PM)
Wow, I'm used to negativity, but this is extreme. We're still playing the Royals, and don't forget we get to face Humber. Good news is that Twins are winning 7-3.

agreed, its not an ideal situation but we havent lost yet. the offense could show up and maybe garcia throws a good game. those two things are possible

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2010 -> 06:30 PM)
Wow, I'm used to negativity, but this is extreme. We're still playing the Royals, and don't forget we get to face Humber. Good news is that Twins are winning 7-3.

I'd feel a little better if we were home but we totally suck in KC.