Why Do the Sox Suck Vs. Central Division Teams?

greg775

Barring a miracle, the White Sox will not win the Central again this season, primarily because of the team's play against Minnesota, Cleveland, KC and Detroit. The team also sucked against Central teams last year. The question is why?

Are there any statistical reasons the White Sox reek against their Central rivals?

Do the opposing hitters in the division stack up well against our type of pitchers? Do they have us scouted well? Do their pitchers understand what it takes to get the Sox out?

Or is it simply the fact the White Sox are the only team in the division to win a World Series in a while and opponents simply want it more than the Sox do every single night when the teans play?

Is it Ozzie getting outcoached by the other skippers?

What is the reason for the White Sox ineptitude vs. the Central?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
Or is it simply the fact the White Sox are the only team in the division to win a World Series in a while and opponents simply want it more than the Sox do every single night when the teans play?

This is the reason why right here:

Sox are 7-4 vs. DET, but Cabrera, Damon & Coke have all won World Series, so they don't want it as much any more

Sox are 8-7 vs. KC, but they had Podsednik for a while and his WS ring makes them care a little less

Sox are 4-8 vs. CLE, and no one their roster has ever won a WS so they obviously just try harder than the Sox do

Sox are 5-10 vs. MIN, Carl Pavano has won a ring, but he's only one starting pitcher, so the other players still want it more than the Sox

Lets also disregard these facts:

- Only 6 players on the Sox 25-man roster (24%) have even won a World Series

- The Sox had a winning record vs. the Central every season from 2002-2008 (best division record in 2008)

- They played their 12 games vs. CLE all before they started their winning streak, back when they were losing to everyone

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 07:19 AM)
This is the reason why right here:

Sox are 7-4 vs. DET, but Cabrera, Damon & Coke have all won World Series, so they don't want it as much any more

Sox are 8-7 vs. KC, but they had Podsednik for a while and his WS ring makes them care a little less

Sox are 4-8 vs. CLE, and no one their roster has ever won a WS so they obviously just try harder than the Sox do

Sox are 5-10 vs. MIN, Carl Pavano has won a ring, but he's only one starting pitcher, so the other players still want it more than the Sox

Lets also disregard these facts:

- Only 6 players on the Sox 25-man roster (24%) have even won a World Series

- The Sox had a winning record vs. the Central every season from 2002-2008 (best division record in 2008)

- They played their 12 games vs. CLE all before they started their winning streak, back when they were losing to everyone

Hahaha good post! I loled..

It seems we've let up a little bit against the Indians and the Royals the last couple of seasons...maybe we're overconfident against them, and the Royals' style of play always seems to give us fits.

Historically, we play the best against DET, and most fans/announcers there consider the White Sox their biggest rival, although the Twins are the ones who knocked them out of the ALCD title at the end in 06 and 09. For whatever reason, maybe it's because of Carlos Guillen/Ordonez/Cabrera, Ozzie is more enthused about beating these guys. I think another reason might be that the Tigers feature a lot of "stuff" pitchers like Verlander who we tend to do better against, because the White Sox historically have been a fastball hitting team this decade.

But yes, no division title winner has ever finished below .500 against their divisional opponents since the realignments and going to 18 games per season...at least since 2001, maybe it goes back even longer than that. In 2000, 2005, 2006 and 2008, we did a much better job taking care of our business with the other four teams.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 09:52 AM)
But yes, no division title winner has ever finished below .500 against their divisional opponents since the realignments and going to 18 games per season...at least since 2001, maybe it goes back even longer than that. In 2000, 2005, 2006 and 2008, we did a much better job taking care of our business with the other four teams.

The 2006 NL Central & World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals say hello

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 23, 2010 -> 11:23 PM)
Barring a miracle, the White Sox will not win the Central again this season, primarily because of the team's play against Minnesota, Cleveland, KC and Detroit. The team also sucked against Central teams last year. The question is why?

Are there any statistical reasons the White Sox reek against their Central rivals?

Do the opposing hitters in the division stack up well against our type of pitchers? Do they have us scouted well? Do their pitchers understand what it takes to get the Sox out?

I think the better question is why do the Sox suck against AL teams?

Oh yeah, we don't have a real DH while they do.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 12:25 PM)
why do you always ask other people to figure things out for you in posts?

Why would you waste your time with a post like this? Did my post offend you? You start a post to get some discussion going on here and a mod tells me that? Is trying to be educated against your beloved rules? I'm glad you aren't in charge of bringing traffic to my business.

Thanks for the posts caufield and chw. I read yours. Thanx.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 04:00 PM)
Why would you waste your time with a post like this? Did my post offend you? You start a post to get some discussion going on here and a mod tells me that? Grow up, please. Is trying to be educated against your beloved rules?

He's saying you should do more research on your own instead of asking everybody.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
He's saying you should do more research on your own instead of asking everybody.

I give up. For a mod to post what he did, to discourage discussion is beyond me.

Thanx for your post, chw. I read your take.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)

I give up. For a mod to post what he did, to discourage discussion is beyond me.

Thanx for your post, chw. I read your take.

He's not saying you shouldn't post, he's saying you should put more time into your part of the post instead of just asking questions.

And that's a completely valid request.

I have my take on it. I was asking for others' takes. What is a message board for? Oh, I know. To never have a new thread. My post was no different than having a poll. I just didn't make it as a poll.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
I have my take on it. I was asking for others' takes. What is a message board for? Oh, I know. To never have a new thread. My post was no different than having a poll. I just didn't make it as a poll.

Ha, take your ball and go home then. The sabes people can figure things out and stuff and make new threads about it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 11:50 PM)
Ha, take your ball and go home then. The sabes people can figure things out and stuff and make new threads about it.

How can somebody in authority on a site be so rude? I don't get it. That's like a manager of a restaurant telling you to f*** off if you don't like the uncooked steak.

Edited by greg775

Not exactly, Greg.

Think about it this way...the presence (or not) of anyone here doesn't change any type of bottom line, profitability, etc.

Now someday where nearly every website is "monetized," things might be different, but MOST message boards are more like hobbies to the operators and not a primary source of income. If you're running a steak restaurant and you serve someone bad, overpriced meat or they have a negative customer service experience, what's the customer most likely to do unless you "make things right?"

He's going to use the one power he has, he's going to take his business elsewhere and he will spend a lot more time telling other people to avoid a website (or restaurant) than he would had he had a completely, 100% gratifying experience. It's the infamous "negative word of mouth," which is 5-10X more likely to result from a negative experience than someone providing positive feedback to others about a positive one.

The difference is that we're not paying a monthly or yearly fee, there are hosting/IT costs involved with a board, and, there simply aren't very many options for Sox fans looking for a comprehensive message board...in other words, you should also value the service that's provided, think about how much you would miss it if it didn't exist, etc.

Coming from personal experience, I had quite a few "run-ins" with different personalities, a few moderators/admins, especially when I first joined the site....I remember even last year coming into chat and 2-3 people would just say stupid/idiotic insulting things (anonymously) to irritate me or make me want to leave the chat. So, I said to myself, I'm not going to bother fighting or arguing with those types of people who act like teenagers.

All things considered, this is the best White Sox message board, and it's much more fairly policed and "presided over" than wsi.com, where I would guess about 50% of the people posting here have some type of story of a run-in/banning/exiling by one of the jerks over there.

You can't really compare this situation, then, with a bad restaurant experience because your leaving (taking your business elsewhere) will hurt yourself more or equally to the "hurt" you will cause the restaurant/website by taking your business/posting or consumer dollars elsewhere.

Edited by caulfield12

Good points but I still don't think people that are "admins" should insult people who are just trying to uh, start a new thread once in a while. Real crime to start a thread that guy doesn't agree with. Why doesn't he send me a PM rather than start something by insulting me. He could ask me in the PM to kill the thread if it was so bad and I'd have killed it. Don't worry I won't be starting any more threads.

Edited by greg775

Greg, just be yourself.

If you get to the point where you start censoring yourself completely, never starting threads or feeling like you don't have the freedom to do so without being criticized, that you can't talk about Guillen or Jenks or Kotsay, then you're not going to enjoy posting here.

That said, we all tend to get into patterns and repeat ourselves and become predictable. We look for evidence that reinforces our own viewpoints and reject contrary evidence, it's human nature to act that way.

Sometimes I will do the same thing as you do, make "devil's advocate" arguments when EVERYONE seems to be taking the opposite position...for me, it's a habit ingrained from being a teacher. For example, when I was teaching in South America, all my students would basically say "Bush sucks." Well, despite my personal opinions on the subject, as an American, I wanted those students to fully understand the reasons/rationale for actions that were taken, whether I agree with them personally or not.

I see what you have been trying to do defending Ozzie and Jenks, and if you look at the shambles that is our bullpen now, when arguably our most reliable reliever wasn't even a thought of ANYONE on this board but a select group of White Sox scouts 2-3 months ago, well, obviously we need Bobby Jenks just as much as he needs us to support him, lol.

I guess the best you can do is try to be fair/objective/unbiased in your appraisals, but that's not very easy to do, is it? Everyone has their favorites.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:20 AM)
How can somebody in authority on a site be so rude? I don't get it. That's like a manager of a restaurant telling you to f*** off if you don't like the uncooked steak.

Haha, you're upset about this but not upset about Ozzie telling the fans to stop watching the f'n games if they don't like his decisions?

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:21 PM)
How is asking people not doing research on your own. Most info comes from asking or being presented voluntarily.

Really? I always thought that as adults who aren't sitting in classes anymore, most of our learning is done when we go out and find the information we want to find. it doesn't just find you. Then when you hit a wall after trying, you ask someone. In the age of the interwebs, there are tons of resources at our disposal to find this sort of information.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 01:25 PM)
But he has a well documented history of never doing the research on his own.

This.

It's fine to ask questions, but you also have to bring some of your own research to the table once in a while.