8/24 Games

danman31

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)
He'd be perfect for it.

Is there a limit on number of guys we can send to the AFL? Isn't it like 6 players or something like that?

Sale, Flowers, Viciedo start off the list. Wasn't there talk of Mitchell possibly being ready by then?

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 06:24 PM)
So how about this Morel kid, many loved him before me being very skeptical but the kid is having hell of a season? Is Charlotte more of a hitter or pitchers park?

Charlotte is a stellar hitters park. Birmingham is a pitcher's park. Morel has hit well in both.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Charlotte is a stellar hitters park. Birmingham is a pitcher's park. Morel has hit well in both.

Showing a bit more power in Charlotte but this explains it. Any chance he plays 3B for the Sox next year? Maybe an ideal 2nd hitter?

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)
I don't know. He's still very raw. Facing that level of pitching may be a step too far for him at this point.

Yeah, he's probably a better candidate next season. Each team is allowed only one player that hasn't played at AA so you have to be careful how you use that spot.

I bet we see Escobar play in the AFL. It would explain the promotion to AA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
Is there a limit on number of guys we can send to the AFL? Isn't it like 6 players or something like that?

Sale, Flowers, Viciedo start off the list. Wasn't there talk of Mitchell possibly being ready by then?

I don't think Sale will go. They want to limit innings, not add on this year.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 06:26 PM)
Showing a bit more power in Charlotte but this explains it. Any chance he plays 3B for the Sox next year? Maybe an ideal 2nd hitter?

Long term he's a possible 2 hitter, but I don't know if anyone knows how his bat will develop.

If he keeps hitting well, then I think he's a mid-season callup next year, but especially if he's rehabbing a shoulder I have difficulty fathoming KW putting him on the board to start the year. It might, however, make KW less hesitant about going in to the regular season with Vizquel as his primary 3b and Teahen as his backup...because if the ancient one gets hurt or struggles for 2 months, he'd have another option.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
I don't think Sale will go. They want to limit innings, not add on this year.

They've said over and over that he was going to the AFL since the day he signed. When you count the cape cod league, he's still well below his innings total from last year.

Remember too the AFL took on a second level last year as a pilot program, and may go full-on with it this year. So you have your traditional AFL, then a lower-level league equivalent. So guys like Viciedo and other advanced prospects (maybe Mitchell) go to the traditional one, guys like Thompson go to the lower level one.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 24, 2010 -> 09:06 PM)
Wilkins is 1/1 with a 2B, BB, and SB so far.

Phegley went 3/4 with a 2B. He is really coming on strong since the injury. AVG up to .321

Morel went 1/4 with a 2B.

That is so great to see from Josh, I'm really happy for him. I honestly thought it was more likely he'd be out of baseball next year, than getting a promotion this year and performing.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 08:29 AM)
That is so great to see from Josh, I'm really happy for him. I honestly thought it was more likely he'd be out of baseball next year, than getting a promotion this year and performing.

He's a definite lower-level AFL candidate.