Frank Thomas Day 08/29/2010

BigSqwert

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank was such an awesome hitter. It was an honor as a fan to see someone of his abilities play for the White Sox. Many would argue that Albert Pujols is better than Frank ever was and as a complete player, I would agree, but as hitters, just pure hitters in the batters box, they are mirror images of each other and I am talking Frank's early years, not when he decided to just hit HR's. Great power, great eye, awesome OBP, hit for average.

The White Sox have just announced what was expected, that Frank Thomas will also get a statue on the outfield concourse.

In a release sent out just after the start of Sunday’s game, a life-size bronze sculpture of Thomas will be unveiled in 2011.

Thomas will become the eighth significant member of the franchise to get the bronze treatment, joining Charles A. Comiskey, Minnie Minoso, Carlton Fisk. Luis Aparicio, Nellie Fox, Bill Pierce and Harold Baines.

The sculpture will be created by Chicago-based artists Lou Cella and Oscar Leon of The Fine Art Studio of Rotblatt-Amrany, which has crafted six of the other White Sox sculptures.

"I thought everything was going to be today, the statues and the number," Guillen said before thinking about it. "The statue will take like 10 years to make of Frank."

Link

QUOTE (dmbjeff @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 12:56 PM)
Frank was such an awesome hitter. It was an honor as a fan to see someone of his abilities play for the White Sox. Many would argue that Albert Pujols is better than Frank ever was and as a complete player, I would agree, but as hitters, just pure hitters in the batters box, they are mirror images of each other and I am talking Frank's early years, not when he decided to just hit HR's. Great power, great eye, awesome OBP, hit for average.

Frank was Pujols before Pujols was.

My favorite parts of today, loss notwithstanding:

-The tribute to Frank was kickass, and enormous. The Sox sure do know how to honor a player.

-His pic on the left field wall is so cool, and so RIGHT

-His speech; he seemed genuinely moved

-Throwing out the first pitch to Fisk? Awesome!

-Hawk's intro was really good

-The massive fireworks when they unveiled his wall spot

As far as the game:

-Season highlight double play by Alexei--nice

-What Ozzie did to get thrown out was hilarious. A lot of people missed it

-WTF with the umps today?

-When we left the bases loaded, I knew we were screwed. Woods was wild and that was our biggest chance

Was there, just got home an hour ago. The tribute to Frank Thomas was beautiful and so well done. Had tears in my eyes during his speech. First pitch to Fisk made me wanna squee! Pretty much baked in my seat and downed too many lemon chills. But not enough to freeze my brain of the hatred of the Yankmees fans sitting across the aisle from me.

Didn't get there in time for the bobblehead, but did see people scalping them after the game. Also saw people beating the living snot out of each other for them LOL

Think I have sunstroke, but it was worth it to see Number 35 retired.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 07:16 PM)
My favorite parts of today, loss notwithstanding:

-The tribute to Frank was kickass, and enormous. The Sox sure do know how to honor a player.

-His pic on the left field wall is so cool, and so RIGHT

-His speech; he seemed genuinely moved

-Throwing out the first pitch to Fisk? Awesome!

-Hawk's intro was really good

-The massive fireworks when they unveiled his wall spot

As far as the game:

-Season highlight double play by Alexei--nice

-What Ozzie did to get thrown out was hilarious. A lot of people missed it

-WTF with the umps today?

-When we left the bases loaded, I knew we were screwed. Woods was wild and that was our biggest chance

What did Ozzie do??? I was a little too far away to see it-- it looked like he was just on his way out to discuss, and then he was on his way back. Wha happun?

well the end result wasn't great, but everything else about today was awesome

hawk did a great job

great to see jermaine there, and he may have gotten a bigger ovation than anyone outside of frank (although fisk had a huge ovation too)

fisk and pierce unveiling the portrait on the wall was very cool

i also managed to get bobbleheads :headbang

i didnt see exactly what ozzie did to get tossed either

PMD after an apparent blown call at first base, Ozzie comes running out, heading towards the first base umpire. He gets about halfway there, then stops, then throws up his arms and flings them at the ump, like "Aw, forget it--to hell with you!"

Then the ump tossed him as he was walking back to the dugout.

Pretty damn funny.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Aug 29, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
PMD after an apparent blown call at first base, Ozzie comes running out, heading towards the first base umpire. He gets about halfway there, then stops, then throws up his arms and flings them at the ump, like "Aw, forget it--to hell with you!"

Then the ump tossed him as he was walking back to the dugout.

Pretty damn funny.

I saw him do that-- but holy hell I didn't know that was enough to get you ejected from a ball game these days!

The umps sucked today. Really sucked.

Anybody see the guy in the lower level who got NAILED in the head by a foul ball? It hit him so hard the ball ricocheted back onto the field. I think that's the hardest I've ever seen anyone get hit. Hope he's okay.