LOL, I'm teaching my students about posting in forums

Texsox

:lolhitting My classes will be using an on-line classroom environment for some projects. One of the components is a forum. I have the laptops out and they are learning to start posts and reply to posts. Finally something I am teaching something I know about. Some kid named Miguel is already the class champ.

Please don't teach them all the stupid abbreviated expressions that people use. Like....

tl;dr (too long, didn't read)

orly (oh, really?)

lolwut (haha, what?)

0 cares (I don't think anyone cares)

ldo (like duh, obviously)

I can't stand when people say s*** like this on forums. Doesn't happen in this forum, thank god, but in another sports forum I participate in they use this all the time and it's really uneducated sounding.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)
Please don't teach them all the stupid abbreviated expressions that people use. Like....

orly (oh, really?)

lolwut (haha, what?)

I can't stand when people say s*** like this on forums. Doesn't happen in this forum, thank god, but in another sports forum I participate in they use this all the time and it's really uneducated sounding.

0 cares

QUOTE (Tex @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 12:41 PM)
:lolhitting My classes will be using an on-line classroom environment for some projects. One of the components is a forum. I have the laptops out and they are learning to start posts and reply to posts. Finally something I am teaching something I know about. Some kid named Miguel is already the class champ.

Have you introduced them to the "How to handle the troll/y2hh type" portion of the class yet?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 06:50 PM)

orly (oh, really?)

lolwut (haha, what?)

lawl

Have you taught them that this is microcosm of real life?

Have you taught them about the anonymous nature of posting giving people a feeling of power? That it leads to playground bullying and cliques and people forming alliances of sorts to gang up on others they disagree with?

I think if you let them post all semester and give them the freedom to be themselves, you'd have a heck of a classroom tool to use.

I find the message board mindset fascinating.

Edited by greg775

During meet the teacher night I was explaining all the tools we would be using, laptops, netbooks, Qwizdom, and the software, Inspiration, Word, Excel, Publisher, video editing, etc. Finally one parent asked me what subject I taught! lol