Andruw Jones...WHY???

BearingPro

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BearingPro @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 10:31 PM)
Why is Jones on the WS roster with a pathetic .207 BA and no sign of trying to get better...unless you consider swinging from the heels an honest effort to improve.

The WS need clutch hits desperately and Jones' approach at the plate will produce very few.

Are you saying you would rather have Mark Kotsay over Andruw Jones?

QUOTE (joejoedairy @ Aug 25, 2010 -> 11:44 PM)
i would, but i think this is a pretty good indicator we need manny

I just don't understand that logic at all. I would take Andruw 100 times out of 100. I agree we need Manny, and Andruw is terrible right now, but you can't ignore how useless Kotsay is, even compared to Jones.

Andruw Jones is a perfect example of why you shouldn't look at batting average as a useful stat.

Andruw Jones has hit .210 the last 2 years combined. However...he's hit a very powerful .210. He doesn't make contact often, but he hits the ball out of the park when he does. He has a .774 OPS over the last 2 seasons. And perhaps more worth noting...he has a 101 OPS+ over the last 2 years. Since a 100 OPS+ is an average run producer...he's been right around average in run production for an OF over the last 2 years.

Basically, Andruw Jones is a solid replacement OF. He's good on defense and can cover multiple positions. He shouldn't be playing every day because he'll wear down (see: early this season). He's not going to get a lot of hits. But...when he does get a hit, it's got a very good chance of leaving the park. Because he hits it out so often, he generates a lot more runs than most people with a .210 batting average.

If you were insisting on going with a rotating DH position, and you had a guy like Quentin who you'd want to move to the DH position a lot to keep him healthy, Jones is an ideal guy to do that with. He's not a liability with the glove (and is in fact an upgrade), he's not a severe liability with the bat, and especially if you put him in against a LHP (.822 OPS) he's actually something of a dangerous hitter.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 07:22 AM)
Jones actually could be pretty useful if he would alter his approach and stop trying to hit everything 1000 feet. When he's willing to go to right center he hits a lot more homers and gets on base a lot more

It's crazy to think about all of the complaining we have done over the last few seasons about guys who only swing for the fences. That was, of course, hyperbole. Now that we have Andruw Jones here, I feel silly for having complained about anyone else being all-or-nothing.

I hate when people use the word "literally" incorrectly, but I can't help it in this situation. Andruw Jones literally swings for the fences in every AB.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
It's crazy to think about all of the complaining we have done over the last few seasons about guys who only swing for the fences. That was, of course, hyperbole. Now that we have Andruw Jones here, I feel silly for having complained about anyone else being all-or-nothing.

I hate when people use the word "literally" incorrectly, but I can't help it in this situation. Andruw Jones literally swings for the fences in every AB.

He'll probably be our new hitting coach when he retires.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:00 PM)
Jones was a ridiculous acquisition. We found out the same thing Texas did. He's no good anymore. If you want defense, there are plenty of .200 hitters who can play defense.

It's not like we signed him for a ton of money and a long term contract. He rarely plays and when he does he actually has some pop in his bat, something our roster as a whole does not have this season.

Jones was a ridiculous acquisition. We found out the same thing Texas did. He's no good anymore. If you want defense, there are plenty of .200 hitters who can play defense.

How many of those .200 hitters will hit 17 homers in just under 250 at bats? He is averaging nearly the same amount of at bats per homer as Paulie.

Andruw Jones was a pretty good pick up. A .774 OPS with plus defense and plus power, for basically the league minimum, to play part time? Sign me up every year for that from a bench guy.

If they had signed him for $5 million, I might agree. But for $500,000, he's been fine. Good defense with some power when he hits the ball. I'm okay with him being here, playing occasionally, and especially being a late inning defensive replacement.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
Not gonna grab the bait, but I thought it was not allowed to ridicule posters in threads or bait them to fight.

These are the types of things you post in here on a daily basis. We're not allowed to question Ozzie or Kenny, we're told certain players or coaches will kick our ass, and other odd things.

Is responding to your thread good discussion?

OK, KW could kick my ass unless I had a bat or something, then I'd get arrested if I fought him with that, so I wouldn't. I still say it was stupid to acquire Jones. He stunk in Texas and isn't doing much of anything here but making outs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)

OK, KW could kick my ass unless I had a bat or something, then I'd get arrested if I fought him with that, so I wouldn't. I still say it was stupid to acquire Jones. He stunk in Texas and isn't doing much of anything here but making outs.

See that's where I don't get you. Like a favorite outfielder of yours from last season, Jones is making almost the league minimum and isn't posting a respectable batting average. However in comparison, he isn't on the field as much as that other guy you liked, plays as good defense if not better, and has posted excellent power numbers in limited ABs yet you're all over Jones. If he made one outstanding defensive play that made the Web Gems for the night maybe you'd change your opinion.

You are an interesting guy, Greg. On subject though, Jones has been worth more than the half a million he was signed for. I would not want him as an everyday player, and I don't think he's even capable of being one anymore. But I'll take the 17 HRs, 40+ RBIs, and good (occasionally great) defense he's given us so far.

He plays good defense and hits HRs at a good pace. Hes a decent option as a 4th OF, especially at 500k.