Andruw Jones...WHY???

BearingPro

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 08:42 PM)
See that's where I don't get you. Like a favorite outfielder of yours from last season, Jones is making almost the league minimum and isn't posting a respectable batting average. However in comparison, he isn't on the field as much as that other guy you liked, plays as good defense if not better, and has posted excellent power numbers in limited ABs yet you're all over Jones. If he made one outstanding defensive play that made the Web Gems for the night maybe you'd change your opinion.

How do you remember so much of what I write on here? I can't remember anything about specific posters. I take that as a compliment my opinion holds so much water.

IMO Jones was part of the problem of not having a good DH. He was part of the Kotsay/Jones experiment which hasn't worked. If Jones is as good as you guys say, why haven't we just played him every day. By now wouldn't he have 40 homers or something ridiculous?

I'm not all over Jones BTW. When I respond in a thread about Jones why do you say I'm all over Jones? I didn't start the thread.

It's a thread about Jones and I personally wish we didn't have he or Kotsay on the team. Teahen as well.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
How do you remember so much of what I write on here? I can't remember anything about specific posters. I take that as a compliment my opinion holds so much water.

Because you're the only one I've ever seen defend him so much. It was odd to say the least. And for you to go out of your way to defend a terrible player like Wise and completely dismiss what Jones has done just doesn't make much sense.

And you do realize that our 4th outfielder that rarely plays has the same number of HRs as our everyday #3 hitter, right?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 08:48 PM)
Because you're the only one I've ever seen defend him so much. It was odd to say the least. And for you to go out of your way to defend a terrible player like Wise and completely dismiss what Jones has done just doesn't make much sense.

I'm not completely dismissing what Jones has done. It's nice to see him chase down a fly ball in right field. Is his production worth 500,000? Of course. Lilly's production is worth 500,000. The man you apparently dislike, Wise, was worth 500,000.

You act like I started the thread. Some other person started it. As far as Wise and Dye, I don't think anybody wants to hear the reasons I liked Wise and Dye. I didn't go out of my way to trash Jones. I merely agreed with the original poster and said it was a mistake to bring him in, that he was a ridiculous acquisition.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)

IMO Jones was part of the problem of not having a good DH. He was part of the Kotsay/Jones experiment which hasn't worked. If Jones is as good as you guys say, why haven't we just played him every day. By now wouldn't he have 40 homers or something ridiculous?

I'm not all over Jones BTW. When I respond in a thread about Jones why do you say I'm all over Jones? I didn't start the thread.

It's a thread about Jones and I personally wish we didn't have he or Kotsay on the team. Teahen as well.

If you look back, just about everyone agrees that he can't play everyday. And no one has said he's that good. What most of us are saying is that for $500K, Jones has been fine for what we needed him. Good defense (including late inning replacement) and power from the right side. His BA stinks, but when he gets a hit, the ball usually becomes a souvenier.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 01:39 PM)
Is responding to your thread good discussion?

OK, KW could kick my ass unless I had a bat or something, then I'd get arrested if I fought him with that, so I wouldn't. I still say it was stupid to acquire Jones. He stunk in Texas and isn't doing much of anything here but making outs.

According to Fangraphs, this is Andruw's best offensive season since 2006. He has been worth $3.8M this season, and yet we are only playing him $0.5M.

Conversely, Mark Kotsay is having his worst offensive season since 2007. He has been worth -$2.9M this season, and yet we are paying him $1.5M.

Jones is playing $3.3M ABOVE his contract, and Kotsay is playing $4.4M UNDER his contract. That's a difference of $7.7M between the two.

Pretty damn obvious that acquiring Andruw Jones was actually a very solid move for $500K. He is not good enough to be our full time DH, but he is a fantastic option off the bench.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 08:57 PM)
According to Fangraphs, this is Andruw's best offensive season since 2006. He has been worth $3.8M this season, and yet we are only playing him $0.5M.

Conversely, Mark Kotsay is having his worst offensive season since 2007. He has been worth -$2.9M this season, and yet we are paying him $1.5M.

Jones is playing $3.3M ABOVE his contract, and Kotsay is playing $4.4M UNDER his contract. That's a difference of $7.7M between the two.

Pretty damn obvious that acquiring Andruw Jones was actually a very solid move for $500K. He is not good enough to be our full time DH, but he is a fantastic option off the bench.

If Andruw Jones is worth 3.8 million this season, I feel sorry for all those great ballplayers of the past who were lucky to make that in 10 years. My god, the inflated salaries. I woudn't be against Kotsay giving Jones some of his money to make up the difference. I hate Kotsay more than I do Jones. I still say neither should be on the team if you are trying to win anything significant, like a division.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:53 PM)
I merely agreed with the original poster and said it was a mistake to bring him in, that he was a ridiculous acquisition.

And you do realize that our 4th outfielder that rarely plays has the same number of HRs as our everyday #3 hitter, right? All for pretty much peanuts that we're paying him. What were you looking to acquire for $500K? An elite closer?

Edited by BigSqwert

I agree he's contributed more than Kotsay and Linebrink and he's worth 500,000 and has hit some bombs.

I think one was a walkoff if I recall or a game winner.

I applaud him for the games he's helped us win. I like anybody who helps the team win on the day they help us win.

Overall I just don't like him or his approach and hope he's playing for Washington next season along with Kotsay and Linebrink.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 03:00 PM)
If Andruw Jones is worth 3.8 million this season, I feel sorry for all those great ballplayers of the past who were lucky to make that in 10 years. My god, the inflated salaries. I woudn't be against Kotsay giving Jones some of his money to make up the difference. I hate Kotsay more than I do Jones. I still say neither should be on the team if you are trying to win anything significant, like a division.

I agree, these players make insanely too much money, but I digress....

Who would be a better option on our bench then Andruw Jones? Because, as I said, Andruw is giving us a lot of production off the bench, regardless of batting average. If he was hitting .280, but with 8 HR, would you be more inclined to think more highly of him? Because despite his awful batting average, he is supplying a lot of runs via power numbers.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 03:09 PM)
I agree, these players make insanely too much money, but I digress....

Who would be a better option on our bench then Andruw Jones? Because, as I said, Andruw is giving us a lot of production off the bench, regardless of batting average. If he was hitting .280, but with 8 HR, would you be more inclined to think more highly of him? Because despite his awful batting average, he is supplying a lot of runs via power numbers.

The problem with using his offensive numbers over this season is that they are heavily weighted towards the first two months of the year when most of his production took place. For me his biggest contribution is his play in the OF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
The problem with using his offensive numbers over this season is that they are heavily weighted towards the first two months of the year when most of his production took place. For me his biggest contribution is his play in the OF.

Disagree. Jones's offensive numbers have 1 incredible month (April), one Terrible month (June) and 3 months where he's been a solid backup OF. .718 OPS in May, .813 OPS in July, .766 OPS in August.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 03:18 PM)
Disagree. Jones's offensive numbers have 1 incredible month (April), one Terrible month (June) and 3 months where he's been a solid backup OF. .718 OPS in May, .813 OPS in July, .766 OPS in August.

OPS is a terrible stat for an all or nothing player. There are so many ABs where you get nothing, or worse, out of him, that the one time he does hit a three run homer doesn't make up for the rest of the important failures.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 03:19 PM)
OPS is a terrible stat for an all or nothing player. There are so many ABs where you get nothing, or worse, out of him, that the one time he does hit a three run homer doesn't make up for the rest of the important failures.

If a player goes 1-5 with a 3 run homer I would not be upset at all. Especially as a backup making chump change.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 06:22 AM)
Jones actually could be pretty useful if he would alter his approach and stop trying to hit everything 1000 feet.

Isn't that basically the approach of every White Sox hitter? I think this has to change. Every guy Kenny get is like that except for Pierre.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
It might be boring and take a long time, but it'd be neat to see when he hit each of his home runs and did they contribute to a victory? No, I'm not looking it up.

Jones had 2 separate 2 HR games in April and 1 in May. The Sox won all 3 games by 1 run. He has 5 HR that were in obvious blowouts, and only 3 HR in losses. Some of those blowouts were keyed by his HR (Toronto, April 14th). And it's worth noting that his HR in games we lost were ones that were in close games...like the 3 run HR that was the only reason we were in a game against the Twins.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 04:41 PM)
Isn't that basically the approach of every White Sox hitter? I think this has to change. Every guy Kenny get is like that except for Pierre.

Really, no it isn't. Konerko certainly doesn't do that. Beckham doesn't do that. Ramirez doesn't do that. Vizquel doesn't do that. The guys who do are AJ and Quentin, I'd say.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 03:44 PM)
Really, no it isn't. Konerko certainly doesn't do that. Beckham doesn't do that. Ramirez doesn't do that. Vizquel doesn't do that. The guys who do are AJ and Quentin, I'd say.

And AJ does it less recently, he's been hitting gaps and liners (and his numbers are improving as a result).

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 02:35 PM)
It might be boring and take a long time, but it'd be neat to see when he hit each of his home runs and did they contribute to a victory? No, I'm not looking it up.

4/12 vs. Blue Jays.

2-run HR in 2nd inning. Score was 0-0.

Solo HR in 6th inning. Score was 6-4 Jays.

4/14 vs. Blue Jays.

Solo HR in 2nd inning. Score was 0-0.

4/20 vs. Rays.

Solo HR in 6th inning. Score was 2-1 Sox.

4/23 vs. Mariners.

Solo HR in 1st inning. Score was 0-0.

Solo HR in 9th inning. Score was 6-6 tie. Walk-off HR.

5/1 vs. Yankees.

Solo HR in 1st inning. Score was 0-0.

Solo HR in 3rd inning. Score was 2-0 Sox.

5/5 vs. Royals.

2-run HR in 1st inning. Score was 0-0.

6/3 vs. Rangers.

Solo HR in 2nd inning. Score was 0-0.

7/6 vs. Angels.

Solo HR in 7th inning. Score was 2-1 Sox.

7/11 vs. Royals.

3-run HR in 3rd inning. Score was 4-1 Sox.

7/19 vs. Mariners.

Solo HR in 8th inning. Score was 4-1 Sox.

7/27 vs. Mariners.

3-run HR in 5th inning. Score was 8-0 Sox.

7/31 vs. A's.

2-run HR in 7th inning. Score was 4-0 A's.

8/15 vs. Tigers.

Solo HR in 8th inning. Score was 9-7 Tigers.

8/18 vs. Twins.

3-run HR in 2nd inning. Score was 2-0 Twins.

There you go. 11 of his 17 HR were when the Sox were tied or losing. 8 of those 17 HR put the Sox into the lead.

So, we are talking nearly half his HR have been extremely meaningful HRs.