Andruw Jones...WHY???

BearingPro

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 07:06 PM)
I've got 14 of the first 16 home runs meaningful.

Well ... I'll be.

Should he be playing more? Every day?

Over who though? I don't know that I'd start him over Quentin, then the juice starts to get diluted a little.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 05:11 PM)
If he's hit that many significant bombs, then Jones is a moron for not at least making better contact sometimes to have his average be .250.

At the least he could have had all of Kotsay's at bats throughout the year.

He should have had at least most. Kotsay has been a bucket of suck.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 07:00 PM)
He should have had at least most. Kotsay has been a bucket of suck.

Not really. Jones has been awful against RHP. Ideally (given our roster) he'd be part of a nice platoon at DH and RF with Quentin and a healthy Teahen.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 08:57 PM)
Not really. Jones has been awful against RHP. Ideally (given our roster) he'd be part of a nice platoon at DH and RF with Quentin and a healthy Teahen.

Pretty much spot on. Kotsay has been mildly effective against RHP this year, but not to the extent that he should be a full time DH.

Jones vs RHP - .199/.304/.434/.738

Kotsay vs RHP - .254/.326/.415/.742

Kotsay naturally hasn't hit for as much power as Jones has, but that is to be expected. He has gotten on base more often, and he has a higher average, and thus has been a superior candidate to Jones as the DH against RHP. It doesn't mean you want it.

Interestingly enough, Jones has 33 hits against RHP this year, and 10 of them have been home runs.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 10:08 PM)
Kotsay naturally hasn't hit for as much power as Jones has, but that is to be expected. He has gotten on base more often, and he has a higher average, and thus has been a superior candidate to Jones as the DH against RHP. It doesn't mean you want it.

Worth noting though...despite the difference in average...you lose only 20 points of OBP against RHP going from Kotsay to Jones. For a platoon, that difference is quite small.

This is not to say I want Jones facing more RHP...I just don't want Kotsay facing any.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 27, 2010 -> 08:01 AM)
A little info related to this... Looking at the past few years, Manny has almost identical numbers against LHP and RHP. Further, in 2010 so far, he's actually hit righties significantly better than lefties.

I guess that's why Kenny who was looking for a LH bat would have no problem having RH Manny in the lineup :)

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Aug 26, 2010 -> 12:57 PM)
According to Fangraphs, this is Andruw's best offensive season since 2006. He has been worth $3.8M this season, and yet we are only playing him $0.5M.

Conversely, Mark Kotsay is having his worst offensive season since 2007. He has been worth -$2.9M this season, and yet we are paying him $1.5M.

Jones is playing $3.3M ABOVE his contract, and Kotsay is playing $4.4M UNDER his contract. That's a difference of $7.7M between the two.

Pretty damn obvious that acquiring Andruw Jones was actually a very solid move for $500K. He is not good enough to be our full time DH, but he is a fantastic option off the bench.

So that means if we get Manny, Jones will be the one who goes.

Yep, bye bye Jones.

It would be nice to just DFA Kotsay though, in case we need Jones' defense in right in late innings in the playoffs and WS.

Who cares if Kotsay is lefty? We got Teahen who is a tad better than Kotsay.

I'd DFA Kotsay and keep Jones for defense if we get Mr. Dredlocks.

Edited by greg775