Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 08:30 AM)
Let me know what kind of infractions we had under Alford? People can talk about the Pierce incident and debate whether he deserved a second chance or not, but Iowa had zero recruiting violations that I am aware of.

Just cause you don't like the guy or something doesn't in any sense shape or form make the program dirty.

I agree Jason. I'd love to hear how Alford was dirty, examples included.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 02:30 PM)
I agree Jason. I'd love to hear how Alford was dirty, examples included.

It would be particularly entertaining to hear a fan of the Illini lecture other people about ethics. Alford may be a jackass, but if you compare Iowa, currently and historically, to Illinois...well there's no comparison. Which school just fired its President and Chancellor because of an ethics scandal?

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
It would be particularly entertaining to hear a fan of the Illini lecture other people about ethics. Alford may be a jackass, but if you compare Iowa, currently and historically, to Illinois...well there's no comparison. Which school just fired its President and Chancellor because of an ethics scandal?

Illinois was just to stupid to get caught (and Im not excusing it at all), but it's like collegiate athletic recruiting, infractions happen everywhere, and so does clout.

As a student who got in cleanly it does disgust me what the university was allowing to happen though.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 11:47 AM)
Iowa State may still get an eligible Royce White this year. :)

Also had 3 top 50 recruits on campus on Saturday...

Get your s*** back together so the new Big 12 can be completely loaded for basketball. With the two joker programs leaving, there won't be many/any off days in conference play.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)
Let me know what kind of infractions we had under Alford? People can talk about the Pierce incident and debate whether he deserved a second chance or not, but Iowa had zero recruiting violations that I am aware of.

Just cause you don't like the guy or something doesn't in any sense shape or form make the program dirty.

I think having a coach fight tooth and nail to have a convicted rapist on your team is dirty and slimy, but that's just me.

Iowa basketball is about as irrelevant as it can be right now, I don't know why anyone would care about this whole "recruiting violation" thing anyway. No Iowa fans I'm friends with care at all about the basketball program anymore.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 12:35 AM)
I think having a coach fight tooth and nail to have a convicted rapist on your team is dirty and slimy, but that's just me.

You mean like Bruce Weber getting Rolan Roberts to play for him at SIU?

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
You mean like Bruce Weber getting Rolan Roberts to play for him at SIU?

Or like Weber keeping Jamar Smith around after his DUI (and leaving Brian Carlwell to die) so Illinois could sign DJ Richardson? Any program that has Weber at the helm has no moral high ground.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Nov 3, 2010 -> 01:12 AM)
Or like Weber keeping Jamar Smith around after his DUI (and leaving Brian Carlwell to die) so Illinois could sign DJ Richardson? Any program that has Weber at the helm has no moral high ground.

As well as the Luther Head debacle.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)

As someone who has personally worked with Steve, I would like to hear that as well.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 2, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)

Iowa basketball is about as irrelevant as it can be right now, I don't know why anyone would care about this whole "recruiting violation" thing anyway. No Iowa fans I'm friends with care at all about the basketball program anymore.

Honestly Steve is a bleeding heart Christian who would do anything for the boys in his program. If Pierce told him that he had changed and grown up, the Steve Alford I knew would have given him a second chance. I saw it first hand at Manchester. It wasn't anything to Pierce's extend, but he defended boys who most coaches wouldn't have.

QUOTE (fathom @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 10:15 PM)
The great Paul Hewitt coached up his GT squad to a 3 point win in overtime over Clark Atlanta. I'm begging you Paul, please expose yourself to a player or put a TV analyst' son in an electrical closet.

lol. That ACC run last year was the worst thing to happen to the GT program.

Atleast Miami shouldnt finish last this year in the ACC.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 09:29 AM)
So damn excited to watch some College Hoops tonight! Still have to wait until Saturday for SIU, hopefully we can keep it within 45...

Agree.

I can't wait for 24 hours of college basketbal next Tuesday with SIU playing at 9am.

Royce White denied eligibility for ISU this year. We could really use him, and I guess we're still appealing, which won't likely do much.

We're gonna be bad, but at least we should still be fun to watch. In their 100-50 exhibition win, Hoiberg said he called no plays. I guess we're just letting them play.