Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 03:15 PM)
Royce White denied eligibility for ISU this year. We could really use him, and I guess we're still appealing, which won't likely do much.

Good. f*** Royce White.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 07:36 PM)
Brian, your boy BP3 is killing it.

I've said it before. In high school, he got better every year. It will probably be the same in college. Hope he is consistent this year.

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 09:01 PM)
I've said it before. In high school, he got better every year. It will probably be the same in college. Hope he is consistent this year.

The biggest thing to me is he improved the mechanics on his jump shot. Last year he had a ton of wasted movement and he rarely jumped straight up and down which makes it extremely difficult to have a consistent release. That isn't the case this year.

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 09:15 PM)
Richmond been playing?

Yeah I think he has 6 pts right now. Looks like Weber is going to go primarily with a 9 man rotation this year. Dmac, Tisdale, Davis, Cole, DJ, Paul, Richmond, Leonard and Griffey will all play 10+ minutes. And then I think Crandall Head will see a little time. Head is a freak athlete and handles the ball well but he is out of control on offense and can't shoot at all. Bertrand won't see much time, just not good enough on the offensive end in the half court yet.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 12:13 AM)
What the hell happened tonight?

Looks like we should be ranked after all. :P

Haha, I have no idea. All I can say is thank god it's the preseason. Awful performance, but I'd guess that's the worst they'll play all year so better now than later.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Nov 8, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
He's been out of trouble since arriving in Ames.

He was responsible for everything that happened to him here in Minnesota and he never seemed like he really understood that actions have repercussions. I was glad that he took time away from the basketball team to figure out his s***, but he essentially blamed the school for how it handled him, which is pretty much bulls***. I feel no sympathy for him.

On the other hand, I hope the Mayor does well. Classy guy and a standup act that deserves success down in ISU.

Edited by Felix

Pomeroy is projecting Wisconsin and Illinois to tie for 3rd in Big 10 behind OSU and MSU.

http://www.kenpom.com/conf.php?c=B10

Preseason

TEAM CONF OVRL

Ohio State 14-4 26-5

Michigan State 13-5 21-7

Wisconsin 11-7 20-8

Illinois 11-7 21-9

Purdue 10-8 20-10

Minnesota 9-9 18-10

Northwestern 9-9 18-10

Penn State 7-11 16-13

Indiana 5-13 14-16

Iowa 5-13 12-16

Michigan 4-14 12-18

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Wanne @ Nov 10, 2010 -> 05:32 PM)
didn't know if you guys were privy...but you can watcht the Illini online tonight on espn3.com (for those whose carrier has it). I watched monday and the feed was pretty damn good.

Is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush?

How does Northwestern expect to earn their first ever NCAA bid with this OOC schedule??? Creighton or GT as your biggest win? Toughest true road game is at NIU?

If they finish it undefeated, I think they still need to go 11-7 at the minimum in conf. play, with at least 3-4 wins against the top 5 teams.

Schedule:

Nov. 12 at Northern Illinois

Nov. 17 at Texas Pan-American

Nov. 19 vs. Arkansas Pine-Bluff

Nov. 28 vs. Creighton

Nov. 30 vs. Georgia Tech

Dec. 13 vs. Long Island

Dec. 16 vs. American

Dec. 20 vs. St. Francis (Holiday Festival, NYC)

Dec. 21 vs. St. John's/Davidson (Holiday Festival)

Dec. 23 vs. Mount St. Mary's

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 01:23 PM)
How does Northwestern expect to earn their first ever NCAA bid with this OOC schedule??? Creighton or GT as your biggest win? Toughest true road game is at NIU?

If they finish it undefeated, I think they still need to go 11-7 at the minimum in conf. play, with at least 3-4 wins against the top 5 teams.

Schedule:

Nov. 12 at Northern Illinois

Nov. 17 at Texas Pan-American

Nov. 19 vs. Arkansas Pine-Bluff

Nov. 28 vs. Creighton

Nov. 30 vs. Georgia Tech

Dec. 13 vs. Long Island

Dec. 16 vs. American

Dec. 20 vs. St. Francis (Holiday Festival, NYC)

Dec. 21 vs. St. John's/Davidson (Holiday Festival)

Dec. 23 vs. Mount St. Mary's

Their schedule does suck, but let's not go crazy here. 11-7 in what will probably be the #1 conference in the country should make them more than a bubble team, especially if they get a win or two in the conference tournament. 7 teams out of the Big Ten should be highly doable. To do that, they'd have to beat the 4 bottom feeders and get 3 more wins.

It also helps that Minnesota, the other "middle tier" Big Ten team doesn't have marquee type games either (though it'll look better on paper obviously with some decent mid-majors). This is their OOC schedule:

Fri, Nov 12 vs Wofford

Mon, Nov 15 vs Siena

Thu, Nov 18 vs Western Kentucky (neutral site)

Wed, Nov 24 vs North Dakota State

Mon, Nov 29 vs Virginia

Sat, Dec 4 vs Cornell

Wed, Dec 8 @ Saint Joseph's

Sat, Dec 11 vs Eastern Kentucky

Wed, Dec 15 vs Akron

Thu, Dec 23 vs South Dakota State

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
Their schedule does suck, but let's not go crazy here. 11-7 in what will probably be the #1 conference in the country should make them more than a bubble team, especially if they get a win or two in the conference tournament. 7 teams out of the Big Ten should be highly doable. To do that, they'd have to beat the 4 bottom feeders and get 3 more wins.

It also helps that Minnesota, the other "middle tier" Big Ten team doesn't have marquee type games either (though it'll look better on paper obviously with some decent mid-majors). This is their OOC schedule:

Fri, Nov 12 vs Wofford

Mon, Nov 15 vs Siena

Thu, Nov 18 vs Western Kentucky (neutral site)

Wed, Nov 24 vs North Dakota State

Mon, Nov 29 vs Virginia

Sat, Dec 4 vs Cornell

Wed, Dec 8 @ Saint Joseph's

Sat, Dec 11 vs Eastern Kentucky

Wed, Dec 15 vs Akron

Thu, Dec 23 vs South Dakota State

I may be over exaggerating a bit, but they definitely are gonna need at least 3-4 wins over the big boys and no bad losses either, they have given themselves little margin for error. Minnesota's is similar, but @ St. Joe's at least looks like a real road game, and the teams like Wofford/Siena/WKU always help the RPI.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 11, 2010 -> 02:24 PM)
I may be over exaggerating a bit, but they definitely are gonna need at least 3-4 wins over the big boys and no bad losses either, they have given themselves little margin for error. Minnesota's is similar, but @ St. Joe's at least looks like a real road game, and the teams like Wofford/Siena/WKU always help the RPI.

I said Minnesota's OOC schedule is a bit better on paper, but I still doubt it makes a major difference if NU is better head to head or in conference play in general. Those mid-major games aren't going to be resume-makers and St. Joe's was 11-20 last year and lost their top-2 scorers.

In a way, I agree I guess. They're going to have to be over .500 in conference with that OOC schedule. I don't see them having to be QUITE that good though. If they beat the teams they're supposed to beat, split with Minnesota and won three against the top-5 in conference, that'd put them at 12-6 with likely three wins against the top-25 and another top-50 against Minnesota. That strikes me as more of a 6/7 seed type resume than bubble team. Their problem is that they don't really have a lot of games against 50-100 type teams, it's either very good ones or very bad ones.

IMO they minimum they have to do is get 3 out of 5 against Minnesota, Wisconsin and Purdue and a conference tournament win. Any win in their 5 games against MSU/OSU/Illinois would be gravy. I also doubt one loss OOC or one to the bottom feeders will kill them as long as they still get a couple of decent wins (though they might need an extra against Minnesota or Wisconsin, an extra tournament win or a win against the top-3). 8-10 seeds generally don't have amazing resumes, but they're also generally not right on the bubble either. That's how I see NU with that kind of season.

I guess my main point is that I think they're either going to be out or comfortably in since it will all come down to conference play rather than sitting there in suspense on Selection Sunday as one of the last four in or out.

Edited by ZoomSlowik