Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

Then change the rule, but as the rule stands its arbitrarily and inconsistently enforced. If the rule stated in "the air" is going to be called more strictly, Id entirely agree with the foul.

But to the best of my knowledge there is no exception.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
How many good recruiting classes must we see come into Illinois and play for underachieving and mediocre teams before Bruce Weber, the man who has driven Illinois basketball into irrelevance, is rightly fired?

IMO he'll have, and should get, up through this next recruiting class (when DJ/Paul become seniors). The team is led be 2 incredibly soft big guys and a nobody PG he's made into a legit 1st round pick. I think he's done well with what he's got. What he's got wasn't enough, but he's slowly building the talent pool.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
IMO he'll have, and should get, up through this next recruiting class (when DJ/Paul become seniors). The team is led be 2 incredibly soft big guys and a nobody PG he's made into a legit 1st round pick. I think he's done well with what he's got. What he's got wasn't enough, but he's slowly building the talent pool.

I'd love to know when 4 star, top 75 national recruits became nobodies.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)

I wouldn't go that far. McCamey was a 4-star recruit, and even though Evan Turner was the better player on their high school team, McCamey still got plenty of attention.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)

The absolute longest he should get is next season and really even though I've never been on the fire Weber bandwagon (except after the 08 class was a disaster and before the 09 guys committed) if this team isn't a top 25 team at the end of the season I would fire him in a second.

if the team fails to make the post season, then yeah, i'd agree. but i dunno what people should really expect here. he doesn't have the talent to compete for a national title. My "goal" for this season was sweet 16, which i think is doable depending on matchups, but even then next year there's going to be a drop off with a freshman pg or some makeshift guard combination. Illinois fans are just delusional. We had a good run in the late 90's and up through 2005. You can't expect it to continue forever. That's the nature of the beast. Sucks, but true. The NCAA tournament is absolutely a minimum, I agree. But i'm not going to be demanding final fours ever other year or he's out.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 12:04 PM)
And they have 8 days off between this game they just played against a crappy team, and the game at Virginia. That's not a good combination, and I doubt they can win.

The Virginia that just lost at home to Seattle? And I'm not talking about the SuperSonics.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
if the team fails to make the post season, then yeah, i'd agree. but i dunno what people should really expect here. he doesn't have the talent to compete for a national title. My "goal" for this season was sweet 16, which i think is doable depending on matchups, but even then next year there's going to be a drop off with a freshman pg or some makeshift guard combination. Illinois fans are just delusional. We had a good run in the late 90's and up through 2005. You can't expect it to continue forever. That's the nature of the beast. Sucks, but true. The NCAA tournament is absolutely a minimum, I agree. But i'm not going to be demanding final fours ever other year or he's out.

1. Illinois had a good run because they had good coaches. Or in the case of the first two years of Bruce Weber, a mediocre coach with national championship, experienced talent. They can go back to that level with a coach that can recruit and coach in games. (I think the myth that Bruce Weber is a good game coach has been exposed now).

2. When Illinois loses in the first weekend, if not the first round of the tournament, will you review your stance?

3. Nobody is expecting a national title as far as I know. But the program has 1 tournament win since 2005 and 0 since 2006, and 2011 starts in about a week and a half. That's not cutting it.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Are people actually complaining about the Tisdale intentional foul call? The guy was in the air about to score and he smacked him in the waist with absolutely no chance of affecting his shot. It was a stupid f***ing play that deserved the call.

Sucks to lose this game they could have won, but Mizzou had to win a Braggin Rights game eventually. Gotta forget about the last two losses and get ready for Big Ten play. And please stop being so damn inconsistent.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:59 PM)
The Virginia that just lost at home to Seattle? And I'm not talking about the SuperSonics.

Iowa State has still lost on the road to UNI and at home to Cal. Virginia on the road isn't a gimme.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:22 PM)
It was bad judgment, I dont think you can look at the circumstances objectively and come to any other result. Even if my team won that way, I would still in my heart feel that it was cheap.You dont kill a team unless the guy really went out of his way to hurt him.

It was my team and I feel pretty good about it. It was the right call. The ref saw two extended arms to the waist, when he sees extended arms he will call it every time. It's a potentially dangerous play. People complaining about those calls not being made are wrong. How often do you see a guy extend both arms to the lower back of a player well in the air? It comes up so rarely.

Also, the free throw (he made both on the intentional) would have made it a 4 point game with 40 seconds left. That's not over, but that call didn't decide the game. It just ended it.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
How many good recruiting classes must we see come into Illinois and play for underachieving and mediocre teams before Bruce Weber, the man who has driven Illinois basketball into irrelevance, is rightly fired?

I have to say, from my viewings of Richmond this year (which are bits and pieces before tonight's game), that he is surprisingly untalented. He's slow, doesn't have a great jumper, isn't aggressive enough on the boards (though that's expected for a freshman) and didn't wow me with athleticism that is probably still somewhere in that body. He looked lost out there. I'm sure he'll be fine in the long run, but given the hype I thought he would come in and be a solid starter as a freshman.

QUOTE (farmteam @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 10:35 PM)
IU loses to Northern Iowa. On a neutral court against the 2nd or 3rd best team we've played all year, I wanted a win...but I'm not entirely surprised. Crean said it best recently...Oladipo needs to focus on being a great player, not making great plays.

At what point does the Indiana fan base turn on Crean? He's done a pretty awful job there. Calipari turned Kentucky into a #1 seed in a year and has them ranked the following year with a brand new team. Crean is looking at the NIT (at best) in year three. Year three! Why haven't I heard more hot seat rumors about him?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
Sucks to lose this game they could have won, but Mizzou had to win a Braggin Rights game eventually.

Eventually? That's two in a row. The days of Illinois winning every year are over with Mike Anderson coaching. I expect more fantastic games to come.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 01:57 AM)
It was my team and I feel pretty good about it. It was the right call. The ref saw two extended arms to the waist, when he sees extended arms he will call it every time. It's a potentially dangerous play. People complaining about those calls not being made are wrong. How often do you see a guy extend both arms to the lower back of a player well in the air? It comes up so rarely.

Also, the free throw (he made both on the intentional) would have made it a 4 point game with 40 seconds left. That's not over, but that call didn't decide the game. It just ended it.

I think that's a very accurate take on the play. It was the right call. It's not the official's fault that Tisdale committed a foul that ended the game; if people dislike seeing a call finish a game they can take it up with Tisdale.

Also, Missouri was going to win that game anyway. Illinois could not overcome a 4 point lead as that would have required them to successfully inbound the ball multiple times.

Edited by hitlesswonder

QUOTE (danman31 @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 02:57 AM)
At what point does the Indiana fan base turn on Crean? He's done a pretty awful job there. Calipari turned Kentucky into a #1 seed in a year and has them ranked the following year with a brand new team. Crean is looking at the NIT (at best) in year three. Year three! Why haven't I heard more hot seat rumors about him?

Because he came into what was damn near an unprecedented scenario, what with the mass exodus of players and whatnot. The situations Calipari and Crean inherited were very, very different.

There has been significant improvement in the team each of the past two years. For the time since the 07-08 season, teams will have to at least respect IU when they come to Assembly Hall (that is to say, while we still may be heavily favored against in some Big Ten contests, it won't be a gimme like it has been the past few years).

The biggest reason there's been zero hot seat talk, though, is recruiting. Crean is bringing in Zeller (as well as Austin Etherington, who should see minutes as a freshman) for 2011, but after that is when it really picks up. He has two 5 star recruits for 2012 (Hanner Parea and Yogi Ferrell), both of whom are in-state players which is huge. There's been a feeling over the past decade or so that the top players are leaving the state en masse; Crean is starting to get some of them to wear the candy stripes. He has two players for 2013 (who by all accounts will be 4 stars), and two for 2014. Obviously a lot can change in four years, but earlier this fall the two players Crean landed (Trey Lyles and James Blackmon Jr.) were ranked #1 and #7 in the country, respectively.

I figured recruiting was the answer, but in his third year on the job you would expect an Indiana coach to have made the tournament. I understand he started with nothing, but he now has 3 years of players. My point about Calipari was that he only needed one year of players.

I feel like recruiting isn't a good enough answer though. Having these players is great, but if Crean can't field a decent team by the third year I have serious questions about him.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 04:22 AM)
Unfortunately I can make "attempt on the ball" mean anything or mean nothing. You have to use discretion when enforcing a rule.

With less than a minute left, a close game, where a guy doesnt even try and hurt him, but merely fouls him (how many "intentional fouls" can be called in the last minute when teams are actually trying to foul to put the other team on the line), you have to use discretion and give the guy an and 1.

It was bad judgment, I dont think you can look at the circumstances objectively and come to any other result. Even if my team won that way, I would still in my heart feel that it was cheap.You dont kill a team unless the guy really went out of his way to hurt him.

Funny I don't feel cheap at all. Reading these comments was great entertainment.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 22, 2010 -> 11:09 PM)
I'm still curious when top 75, 4 star recruits became nobodies. And Weber recruited those two soft big guys that "lead" the team btw.

I'll admit I was wrong. I thought "McGamey" was a 3. He and Tisdale were 4's, Davis was not ranked. But you still have recruiting deficiencies that plague the roster. You have no juniors on this team. You depend on 2 sophomores and a freshman.

Last night was the perfect example in my opinion on why I don't think Jereme Richmond will be even a mediocre NBA player. He is too much of a tweener, as the only move he has in the paint is that stupid pump fake. He probably could have had 8-10 more points last night if he just went up with the ball, but when you're 6'6" and skinny trying to play in the paint, it's not going to be very effective.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 08:48 AM)
Last night was the perfect example in my opinion on why I don't think Jereme Richmond will be even a mediocre NBA player. He is too much of a tweener, as the only move he has in the paint is that stupid pump fake. He probably could have had 8-10 more points last night if he just went up with the ball, but when you're 6'6" and skinny trying to play in the paint, it's not going to be very effective.

Re the pump fake, I completely disagree with you. He's the ONLY person on that team who will do that and open up an easy shot for himself.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
Re the pump fake, I completely disagree with you. He's the ONLY person on that team who will do that and open up an easy shot for himself.

And after the first time doing it yesterday, Missouri was all over it and kept deflecting his shots under the hoop.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 23, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
And after the first time doing it yesterday, Missouri was all over it and kept deflecting his shots under the hoop.

Well I agree that it's ineffective with 3 people hovering over you, but that's been his bread and butter move through the year, and he's gotten a LOT of points out of it. If Tisdale/Davis would do the same thing they'd actually have some points in the paint.

Edited by Jenksismybitch