Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:11 PM)
I think the fact that they only have 6 rebounds after 23 minutes is the most astounding stat in this game.

Kind of hard to get a normal rebound total when Illinois has only missed 8 shots. <_>

Devoe Joseph officially transferring from Minny. Their perimeter play is really weak now. Williams is a freak athlete but not a good basketball player, Nolen is awful on the offensive end of the court. Hoffarber is obviously really good. The rest of those guys are mediocre at best.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:25 PM)
Oh, no wonder he sounds so familiar. He does all the ESPN games on TV, so I didn't think it was him on the radio too. Thanks.

My bad, I didn't read your post very well. :P

I'm not sure who it is right now, though I believe Bardo has done it in the past.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:03 PM)
But he's not. He's now gone on a few random rants on McCamey vs. Taylor, and how Taylor is better. Taylor is a nice player. The only players McCamey should be compared is Jimmer Fredette and Kemba Walker for best PG in the country.

I think Taylor versus McCamey is an interesting argument. Offensively McCamey is better, but Taylor is elite in taking care of the ball while McCamey's TO numbers are higher than you'd want. When you factor in how much better Taylor is on the defensive end, I think Taylor is a legitimate choice for the best PG in the Big Ten. But McCamey, Lucas, and Battle are all pretty reasonable choices too.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:32 PM)
My bad, I didn't read your post very well. :P

I'm not sure who it is right now, though I believe Bardo has done it in the past.

No problem, I just discovered this amazing thing called Google and I found the answer. It's Jerry Hester.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 03:38 AM)
I think Taylor versus McCamey is an interesting argument. Offensively McCamey is better, but Taylor is elite in taking care of the ball while McCamey's TO numbers are higher than you'd want. When you factor in how much better Taylor is on the defensive end, I think Taylor is a legitimate choice for the best PG in the Big Ten. But McCamey, Lucas, and Battle are all pretty reasonable choices too.

I honestly doubt it's not close. There is not a more dynamic player in the conference as McCamey. To prove that, he just absolutely abused Taylor head to head as Taylor attempted to guard him the other night. As for McCamey's TO numbers, he has a 2.66 A/TO ratio. That's pretty much unheard of for an elite PG. And then there's Taylor who is somehow on another hemisphere with that stat last I checked, but that's a product of his system. McCamey can single handily beat basically any team out there. Taylor cannot. It's that simple for me. It's why McCamey will be a late first round draft pick while Taylor won't get drafted.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Jan 6, 2011 -> 09:50 PM)
There is not a more dynamic player in the conference as McCamey.

Are you 100% sure of that? He's a very good player, but there are quite a few players in the B10 that are having better seasons than him.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:42 AM)
Are you 100% sure of that? He's a very good player, but there are quite a few players in the B10 that are having better seasons than him.

That is factually false but I'd like to see you try to name the "quite a few players" having a better season than McCamey. There are guys that you can argue are having better seasons but there really isn't a single player having a season clearly better than McCamey. Tied for firsts in assists (2nd in assist rate), 9th in scoring (but 5th in TS%), shooting 52% from 3, over 50% from the floor.

Edited by whitesoxfan99

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:16 AM)
That is factually false but I'd like to see you try to name the "quite a few players" having a better season than McCamey. There are guys that you can argue are having better seasons but there really isn't a single player having a season clearly better than McCamey. Tied for firsts in assists (2nd in assist rate), 9th in scoring (but 5th in TS%), shooting 52% from 3, over 50% from the floor.

One could argue Sullinger and Johnson as the best players in the conference at the moment. Sullinger is 6th in scoring, #2 in rebounds and leading the conference in fg%. One of two players avg's a double double. Johnson is 3rd in scoring and 4th in rebounds and also shooting over 50% from the floor.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 12:37 AM)
One could argue Sullinger and Johnson as the best players in the conference at the moment. Sullinger is 6th in scoring, #2 in rebounds and leading the conference in fg%. One of two players avg's a double double. Johnson is 3rd in scoring and 4th in rebounds and also shooting over 50% from the floor.

But their teams don't rely on them 99% of the time like McCamey. That's what sets him apart. Obviously there's a small number of elite guys, and at this point it's dumb to argue who's better. We'll see by the end of the year because that guy is probably going to lead his team to the conference title.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 09:50 AM)
But their teams don't rely on them 99% of the time like McCamey. That's what sets him apart. Obviously there's a small number of elite guys, and at this point it's dumb to argue who's better. We'll see by the end of the year because that guy is probably going to lead his team to the conference title.

Really? Purdue does not rely on Johnson 99% of the time? He's the only big they that is able to even figure out where the offensive end of the court is. He is consistently double and triple teamed and still puts up huge numbers. What him and Moore are doing by themselves is incredible, this coming from an IU fan. Sullinger is very very good for a freshman, but he has help around him, just like McCamey.

McCamey is a great player, but he's still a headcase at times and has been known to disappear in big games.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 05:10 PM)
McCamey is a great player, but he's still a headcase at times and has been known to disappear in big games.

...uh, No he's not. At all. Hell, just this year:

22 and 6 against Texas

20 and 7 against Maryland

11 and 7 against Gonzaga

17 and 8 against UNC

30 and 3 against Oakland

14 and 6 against Missouri

21 and 7 against Wisconsin

in their main games this year. Dude is clutch. Going back to a select few games last year:

22 and 11 against MSU

27 and 7 @ Wisconsin

6 and 16 @ Purdue

28 and 9 against Purdue

18 and 7 against Ohio State

22 and 5 against Ohio State

This is actually the exact reason I would take McCamey as the best player in the conference. He's been know to just go off and single handedly beat other teams.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:10 AM)
Really? Purdue does not rely on Johnson 99% of the time? He's the only big they that is able to even figure out where the offensive end of the court is. He is consistently double and triple teamed and still puts up huge numbers. What him and Moore are doing by themselves is incredible, this coming from an IU fan. Sullinger is very very good for a freshman, but he has help around him, just like McCamey.

Does Illinois have another Wooden Midseason top 30 guy on their roster? Do they have any other PG on their roster? OSU can handle an off night from Sullinger. Purdue can handle an off night from Johnson. Illinois is dead in the water if you can neutralize McCamey. No one is arguing that he's the only talent Illinois has, that's clearly not true. But you're talking about a PG who runs everything and is the key to the team. I don't think you can say the same about those other guys.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
Thats great and all, but they were also 7-6 in those games.

And? 4-2 this year. He's certainly not disappearing, which is what you said. Perhaps the rest of his team does, which makes his numbesr all the more impressive, because they are not all that great. When you have a guard who can score as efficiently and put up massive assist numbers as efficiently as McCamey does, that is hugely valuable in CBB. I don't think there's any question about that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jan 7, 2011 -> 10:32 AM)
Does Illinois have another Wooden Midseason top 30 guy on their roster? Do they have any other PG on their roster? OSU can handle an off night from Sullinger. Purdue can handle an off night from Johnson. Illinois is dead in the water if you can neutralize McCamey. No one is arguing that he's the only talent Illinois has, that's clearly not true. But you're talking about a PG who runs everything and is the key to the team. I don't think you can say the same about those other guys.

Thats probably true and i think I mentioned it earlier in the thread in a non-related note. The initial debate however was who was the most dynamic player in the conference not whose team would take a s*** if they werent there, and I think we all know all 3 teams wouldnt be who they are without those players. Sully is actually one of the first buckeyes in awhile that I've seen a team use a triangle and 2 against.