Official 2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Thread

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
Interesting reading that some of the big Illini boosters want to get Weber canned after this season. That would be a brilliant move by the Illini, as they could get some good candidates and recruiting will go nowhere but up as long as Howard stays.

After this season I really cant argue against having Weber be fired. It's up to the players to perform, but the fact is the team hasn't done really anything impressive since the title run. Since that season they haven't won the conference, haven't made the sweet 16, and have missed the Tourney twice.

To me, that's unacceptable for the program. I don't view them as elite, but they are a top program and should be in the tournament every year (with the occasional exemption due to injury or something along those lines). They also shouldn't just be making the tourney, they have to do better than just winning one game and that's it.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 03:40 PM)
Interesting reading that some of the big Illini boosters want to get Weber canned after this season. That would be a brilliant move by the Illini, as they could get some good candidates and recruiting will go nowhere but up as long as Howard stays.

The candidates are really really underwhelming right now. Unless they were able to somehow steal a Jay Wright or Jaime Dixon (highly highly unlikely) you are left with a bunch of mediocre at best candidates. When fans are mentioning guys like Frank Martin and Scott Drew as good candidates you know the candidates just aren't very good. I would make a run at Anthony Grant personally, I think he would dominate recruiting at Illinois, he did a good job at VCU and is actually going a good job at Alabama so far.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 05:09 PM)
Grant is likely not leaving the south, as he has very strong ties there. He's also a lock to take over the Florida job when Donovan leaves. And yes 99, Drew is an awful coach. He gets the least out of the most.

I don't think he would either, but I would offer him a ton of money and do everything in my power to get him if I was AD. I'm having trouble even coming up with other coaches I would go after (that are realistic anyways).

Since I'm still pissed about the game earlier today, I think the most frustrating thing about this season is just how close it has been to being a great year. Illinois has not won a close game all year (I'm not counting the Maryland game where they won by 4 because Maryland never had a chance to tie or take the lead and Illinois missed 6 out of 8 Fts to even make it look close. Illinois is 0-5 in games decided by 3 or less points (or OT), and in two of their other games they were down by 3 or fewer in the last minute. Against Missouri they had the lead within the final 4 minutes and were within 1 when they didn't get back on D and the intentional foul was called. And against OSU they obviously had the ball down 3 with a chance to tie in the final minute and didn't get the shot off. The only loss where they didn't have a chance to win it late was against Wisconsin. And even more annoying is that 3 of the 8 losses are on freaking tip ins in the last 30 seconds. When it gets close this team just hasn't been able to get a bucket or stop when they need to and that was the case last year as well.

As a drunken Illini fan, wearing my free purple NU giveaway T-shirt from the game today, I finally will jump on the bandwagon and say, Fire Weber. Do I know who they should hire?? No. But there is obviously something missing with him there, too much talent & inability to close out games, that something needs to change.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 10:08 PM)
As a SIU fan it's hard for me to say that Weber deserves to be fired buuuuuuut he needs to put up results and quickly or he belongs on the hot seat for sure. That being said, he's more than welcome back at SIU. :D

i also would not mind if he came back

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 5, 2011 -> 09:40 PM)
With all the Fire Weber talk on here, are we putting to bed the notion that he is a great in game coach?

Not really. Calling for a turnover in the last minute when you are down a bucket takes real coaching skill.

I've thought about this all day and I still can't figure out my favorite play out of these three gems:

Down 3, a terrible close out on a Thompson missed three, give up the easy offensive board, let Thompson roam free after the shot, give him another crack at a 3, which he drains, down 6.

Down 4, get a steal in your own paint involving a NW player who fell in the paint, Richardson dribbles it up like no one is behind him, gets it stripped, leads to a Thompson made 3, down 7.

Down 4, Brandon Paul "intentionally" fouls Thompson with about 15 seconds left on the shot clock after he came up hobbling (but guarded the whole possession until then). Thompson hits both free throws, down 6. He comes off the floor and Weber says "why did you foul?"

We have to be one of the dumbest teams in the nation.

BTW fathom I think you will like two of the recent suggestions I've seen from fans in the event Weber is fired: Jeff Capel or Craig Robinson. Robinson I can at least see the possibility of him doing really well at Illinois because him and Howard would probably do extremely well recruiting Chicago but I'm not sold on his coaching whatsoever. If Capel is hired I would riot.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 11:48 PM)
BTW fathom I think you will like two of the recent suggestions I've seen from fans in the event Weber is fired: Jeff Capel or Craig Robinson. Robinson I can at least see the possibility of him doing really well at Illinois because him and Howard would probably do extremely well recruiting Chicago but I'm not sold on his coaching whatsoever. If Capel is hired I would riot.

Robinson would do an amazing job at U of I. One thing to keep in mind for Illini fans is that Howard is likely gone for a head coaching job after this season.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 10:47 PM)
I would guess that 90% of the posters on this thread is unhappy with how the basketball season is going for their team.

I would say that it probably correct... We know Rock is happy. Other than that, not sure.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 6, 2011 -> 05:48 PM)

How is Capel even mentioned for a job? OU is a train wreck.

Quietly, UNC is 7-1 in the ACC. I knew they were playing better (and yes I know the ACC isn't that good), but 7-1 is pretty legit. With all that talent, and ultimately a young team, it makes sense they're turning it around. Plus people probably overreacted to losses to good teams in the non-con. I sure wouldn't want to play them in March.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 7, 2011 -> 01:13 AM)
How is Capel even mentioned for a job? OU is a train wreck.

Quietly, UNC is 7-1 in the ACC. I knew they were playing better (and yes I know the ACC isn't that good), but 7-1 is pretty legit. With all that talent, and ultimately a young team, it makes sense they're turning it around. Plus people probably overreacted to losses to good teams in the non-con. I sure wouldn't want to play them in March.

There was major, major chemistry issues the last two years. But thankfully that was fully corrected a few days ago when Larry Drew departed. His entire family was a headcase, his mom used to call Roy demanding playing time or being upset when Roy was talking to John Wall. Every summer he would leave the school to go home and train with his Dad, and it never ever helped. Funny stuff. Funniest part is that his Dad said this was the classy way to leave(as in daddy calling Roy to tell him his son was transferring, and little Drew just got his stuff in the night and slipped out without telling anyone).

Then Kendall Marshall comes in with his first full game and records 16 assists. He is a ton of fun to watch, haven't seen a passer like him since Jason Kidd.